1st time knee discomfort

fz6rwolf

Well yesterday went out for about 5 hours. Had googled bike roads in New England and one of the closest to Providence was up in Mass (SR 140) so hopped on I95 to I495 and got on SR140. Not a bad road but can get stuck behind traffic, had some decent sweepers. Anyway, rode up past Wachusett Mt a bit then headed back. Didn't want to take freeway so when Rt12 intersected 140 I decided to follow it down into Ct then back across to RI, mistake getting on Rt12, went through Worcester and Dudley etc and not funn until getting into CT. Well on the way back started getting some knee pain and had to pull over for 10 minute break to stretch. I only stopped 3 times the whole trip, once for smoke break up, at midway to fill up and that last stop. 1st time my knees felt uncomfortable on this bike, guess I need to realize gotta stop every hour and a half or so for stretch break.

Bigevildoer

Have you considered raising the seat? I was getting knee stiffness and minor pains until I did so on any rides over 1.5 hours. After I raised it, no probs. Hard to believe 20mm would make such a difference!

fz6rwolf

I've had in high setting since 2nd day lol.

KelownaKeith

I'm old too, way old at 55. My left knee will cramp after about an 1 1/2 hours of riding. That together with the incredibly uncomfortable seat really limits my riding time. I think the trick is to get off every 45 minutes or so and take a walk around. I've raised the seat then lowered it again. I like the lower center of gravity the lower seat gives. Plus raising the seat shifted weight to my wrists that I didn't want.
I'm not blaming the bike, just my old age.

County Tar

Same thing is happening to me. I'm 57 and pretty crippled up anyway. The tight knee angle on the bike (compared to the VStrom or DR650) is the limiting factor on riding time. I use a Walmart car seat pad and the high setting. If I could lower the pegs an inch it would be just about right.