+1 up front = great!

Pizz

Put the +1 sprocket on up front.

Really notice a difference at highway speeds. Not as much revs = not as much vibration.

Another positive is now my speedometer reads perfect.:)

jotapeh

I was wondering about this - it really bugs me to have to cruise at 6-7k RPMs to stay with traffic here..

I also do not understand those people who go -1/+2.. I can't imagine what that would be like on this bike

SupremeBean

I was looking into switching sprockets; but, was worried about the loss of acceleration? Did you notice any adverse effects?

How much lower did the RPMs drop at highway speeds?

Superfly

Put the +1 sprocket on up front.

Really notice a difference at highway speeds. Not as much revs = not as much vibration.

Another positive is now my speedometer reads perfect.:)
Please tell us where you bought this from and the brand name etc...I've been looking for a rear sproket -2 but cant find one anywhere...any issues with +1 front I heard that there is some modding to get it to fit?

JonKerr

Elite Member

Pizz

I was looking into switching sprockets; but, was worried about the loss of acceleration? Did you notice any adverse effects?

I didn't notice anything. If you do notice, you will only notice out of first anyway, since once you get the revs up, it won't matter.

Pizz

Most of the others here seem to recommend Driven sprockets from solomotersports.com.
We have a winner!

It was a tight fit. This bike has a chain guide up front and this makes it tough, not impossible to get the +1 in. There is some effort required to get it in. Wasn't nearly as easy as my ZX14.

You need to disassemble the shift mechanism to be able to get the sprocket at the right angle to place it on the shaft.

jotapeh

I didn't notice anything. If you do notice, you will only notice out of first anyway, since once you get the revs up, it won't matter.
If it's not too much of a bother, can you let us know about what RPM range it takes for you to cruise at 120km/h with the +1 sprocket?

Substitute 120km/h with whatever the average hwy speed is for you in AB - honestly I have only ever stopped there twice :eek:

Pizz

It's a 17 tooth replacement for the stock 16 tooth, so the math says about 6%. So instead of cruising at 6,000 rpm, I'm down to around 5,600. I think this is around 120km/h.

Spunky99

CDN6R

Actually I have only about 200KMS on my bike and I was thinking about doing the same sprocket change.

dtrey28

Not sure what the issue is with cruising at 6-7K RPM on an engine that redlines at 12ish. It's not a car - that's how these bikes are designed to run. Above 7k RPM is where the 6R starts to get fun.

Pizz

Not sure what the issue is with cruising at 6-7K RPM on an engine that redlines at 12ish. It's not a car - that's how these bikes are designed to run. Above 7k RPM is where the 6R starts to get fun.
I find there is a resonance at around 6k, which was right where my cruising speed is. It makes my feet numb. This sprocket fixed my issue.

If the vibration doesn't bother you, then there is no issue to solve.

Superfly

I find there is a resonance at around 6k, which was right where my cruising speed is. It makes my feet numb. This sprocket fixed my issue.

If the vibration doesn't bother you, then there is no issue to solve.
+1

And on top of that 1st gear is so quick its like as soon as I get to full power its time to shift. This sprocket mod just lengthens each gear right? Or am I looking at this wrong. You can still keep your bike in a high rev range its just that 1st gear will be a little less agressive and 6th will be a slightly lower rpm cruise gear...

Grinch79

Does anyone have a link or anything to check out to better understand changing the gearing and exactly what either way will get you.

Grinch79

Very cool website that I bookmarked, but yes, there is a bit of a learning curve but I'll do some more research and jump into when I know what I'm doing or what exactly I'm looking for.

Thanks

Pizz

I went on the Gearing Commander website and got the following 6th gear rev information for various sprocket sizes at 120 km/h (74mph):

-1 front, +2 rear = 6917 rpm -max speed at 12000 rpm = 208 Km/h(129mph)

Stock front and rear= 6214 rpm -max speed at 12000 rpm = 232 Km/h(144 mph)

+1 front, stock rear = 5849 rpm -max speed at 12000 rpm = 246 Km/h(153 mph)

Roaddawg

You can try this website. It has a bit of a learning curve to it, but once you figure it out, it's a treasure of gearing information:
Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Gear Ratio Calculator for Sprockets RPM Speed Chain
That's a sweet website for gearing. I've been playing around with it. I tried to save the graphs and charts to post here, but it wouldn't let me. Here's some of what I came up with, to break it down to more layman's terms:

RPM @70 MPH in 6th gear with a redline of 11500 and stock size tires:

Stock= 5834, +1 front= 5491, -1 frt/+2 rear= 6494

RPM @65 MPH:

Stock= 5417, +1= 5099, -1/+2= 6030

RPM a@80 MPH:

Stock=6668, +1=6275, -1/+2= 7421

For those of us that commute mostly, the +1 does seem like a good option. There is only about a 6% difference, so like Pizz stated earlier, it's not going to be that noticable at all. I'm not real concerned about the RPM's as much as I'd rather have my speedo correct. And, if it gets me a little more MPG, bonus. I know its designed for high revving and all, but +1 is not much lower than stock and if it fixes the speedometer thing, sweet. Now, its time to shop!

Last edited: