Yet another new member

ChUcK

Hello everybody, how is the weather in your neck of the woods? No, I haven't resorted to talking about weather because I already have nothing to say, it is just the first thing on my mind at the moment because I bought a blue 2009 fz6r and the rain is really getting me down here in the PacNW.

I have about 40,000 miles of metric cruising under my belt. This is my first sportbike, and I'm pretty excited about it. It is taking some getting used to, with the different riding posture, acceleration, and absolute nimbleness of this bike. I haven't stalled it yet, but my shifting techniques are already morphing into a more aggressive series of actions, especially once my buddy showed me the secret of pre-loading the shift lever.

The fz6r I bought had only 420 miles on it- the previous owner laid it down a couple of times at 5 or so mph so I got it on the cheap. It has had its fender eliminated for me already, some teeny-tiny turn signals (no doubt to replace the destroyed ones), some lowering link in the rear, and a scratched right cowling that only a mother could love. Some cheapo frame sliders that are already a bit munched up are soon to be replaced, but the cowling has already been cut so I will probably have to go with them.

Luckily, the only cross-threaded bolt I have found so far is one of the cowling mount bolts, and I was able to chase them with a tap, but it will need a drill and re-tap the next time I remove the cowling.

Damn, this is just turning into a diary entry. I had better shut up now, or else I will never have anything to post in other threads! ;)

ChUcK from Seattle

JSP

Super Moderator
WELCOME! And congrats! You will love the bike!

ChUcK

Too late, I already do!

I used to sneer at sportbikes when I was all about leather tassles and billet chrome, but as it turns out it was just mob mentality. I am discovering that I am a fan of just about anything with two wheels and internal combustion.

CDN6R

Too late, I already do!

I used to sneer at sportbikes when I was all about leather tassles and billet chrome, but as it turns out it was just mob mentality. I am discovering that I am a fan of just about anything with two wheels and internal combustion.
Welcome to the club Chuck! Congrats on being some one with an open attitude towards other kinds of bikes. (it comes with maturity). I too used to ride Cruisers in the late 70's early 80's until I sold my 750 Virago and bought a new RD 350 L/C. My motorcycling life was changed! I have had sport bikes ever since. :canada:

Jay S.

From one cruiser convert to another, welcome bro. I spent 11 years riding cruisers, two Shadows and a Vulcan. I thought my Vulcan would be the bike I would ride for years...then I rode a friends GSX650R and everything changed. From that first ride I knew I wanted a sport (not supersport) bike. The riding position was more comfortable and the power increase (even with less CC's) and the weight decrease...let's just say it all made sense. I spent almost a year shopping and comparing 600/650 bikes and finally settled on the FZ6R, which was actually kind of tough because I was a Kawi fan growing up riding lime green dirt bikes.

Okay, now I'm writing way too much. Bottom line, coming from cruisers, I'm pretty dang sure you won't be disapointed at all. As a matter of fact, if I ever decide to "upgrade," it will be a full blown sport tourer such as a Concours or FJR.

I'm just sayin'.

This bike rocks.

:Sport:

Oh yeah, I'm from Washington too, and after being able to ride year-round in Texas, I may never move back. Hehe.