Yamaha Demo Rides at local dealer

latony007

So my nephew calls me on Friday afternoon who lives in Simi Valley, Ca and tells me the yamaha/triumph/suzuki dealer there is having a Yamaha test ride weekend on friday and sat. I had plans to ride ACH with my brother in the morning so i did not get out to simi until around 1 to 2pm but was able to secure a spot on the last ride of the day at 415. Had i shown up in the AM i would have been able to do 3 rides.

Anyway for Marthy i picked the FZ-09 to ride, my nephew went big and picked the R1. I wanted to do the R1 too but figured there is zero chance i would ever buy one so let me stick with something that is at least feasible.

first the ride, they seemed to have pretty much the same set up they had at the progressive motorcycle show but just a smaller display board. Guy was pretty nice, told us 415 was all that was left but we could pick our bikes (all except the FZ1 of course because thats what i really wanted to try). This is a group follow the leader ride vs. the Harley Vrod i rode at the show where they just hand you the keys and say have fun.

They took us on a 20 minute maybe 15 mile trip though simi and back into the hills for a second to try and get a good feel for them. he did rip off the stop sign or lite a few times so we could feel the acceleration in our bikes and was all in all good, not as good as here are the keys have fun, but much better than not getting to test ride at all before you buy which is usually the case.

2nd the bike, here is my review of the FZ-09. First off the bike hauls a** especially for the price. Makes the FZ6R seem pretty slow off the line. In fact it seems pretty overpowered for what it is. It is so torc heavy that its hard to keep it from Jerking and learching forward even if your concentrating on it. That might be something you get used to but i consider myself pretty smooth on the throttle and i had to struggle to keep it from doing so. It also feels like there is no front end on the bike and it will lift at times whether you want it or not. im not sure but guess it would make an excellent stunt bike. It seemed to handle well, and some said it would handle better than our bike but i did not feel that way, mainly because i felt like there was no front end under the bike.

Anyway its a blast to try different bikes and if i could figure out what dealer the demo rides are heading to next i would probably follow it down there and try and get on an R1 or the new 07 (they had several and the dealer had already sold several) or even the FJR 1300, and hope they bring the FZ1 to the show in the fall.

xJoshuaDrakex

Demo rides are pretty awesome. I've tested out Harley's,Can-Am's, and Sea Doo's this year. They are bringing the Yamaha demo tour near me in September and I will definitely be there for that. I'm looking to hopefully ride the FZ07, the Bolt and possibly the R1. Should be a good time.

latony007

Demo rides are pretty awesome. I've tested out Harley's,Can-Am's, and Sea Doo's this year. They are bringing the Yamaha demo tour near me in September and I will definitely be there for that. I'm looking to hopefully ride the FZ07, the Bolt and possibly the R1. Should be a good time.
Did you test ride the spyder? i am curious about opinions on it from other guys who own the fz6r. Everyone has an opinion on it but i find that most of those people have never actually ridden one. My brother has a 2012 that i kept for about 3 months while he was moving and it was a blast and surprised how well they handled, plus the removal of low siding, high siding, hitting an errant rock or sand patch is appealing to me as well.

im going to hit up the progressive show too, see if i can get on a ninja 1k if the fz1 isnt there again. The Fz07 looked cool, very similar to the 09 just less CC, i did like the "mode" button the 09 i forgot to mention, if you switched to A your flying off a start and if you switch to B it gets a lot less jerky but you lose some power. I think the 07 had it too but not sure.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

latony007

"In fact it seems pretty overpowered for what it is"

Well, there is no such thing LOL!
Alright you might have a point there :)
i was just surprised how hard it was to get it to accelerate smooth. I mean i dont want to blast off the line every single time, most but not all :) I thought it handled good, cant really tell about full on canyon riding if good as fz6r but was good at low speed seemed easier to handle than ours doing a u turn etc. Anyway i just recomend the test rides to everyone, get on as many as you can whether its something you want or not. i was even going to try the bolt.

MattEnTheHat

How did I miss this?! I literally picked my bike up from that shop on Wednesday, and I had no idea this was going on... I would have loved to ride an R6 or an FZ-09 or an R1 or honestly anything else. When and where is this progressive show you speak of?

xJoshuaDrakex

Did you test ride the spyder? i am curious about opinions on it from other guys who own the fz6r. Everyone has an opinion on it but i find that most of those people have never actually ridden one. My brother has a 2012 that i kept for about 3 months while he was moving and it was a blast and surprised how well they handled, plus the removal of low siding, high siding, hitting an errant rock or sand patch is appealing to me as well.

im going to hit up the progressive show too, see if i can get on a ninja 1k if the fz1 isnt there again. The Fz07 looked cool, very similar to the 09 just less CC, i did like the "mode" button the 09 i forgot to mention, if you switched to A your flying off a start and if you switch to B it gets a lot less jerky but you lose some power. I think the 07 had it too but not sure.
The can am spyder was pretty fun to ride. No counter steering was weird to get use to but it was comfy and handle real well. I couldn't give up riding two wheels for three right now but if I was older or had an injury where I couldn't ride on two I would definitely consider one of those.

My buddy has a FZ09 so I have already tested it out and loved it.

latony007

How did I miss this?! I literally picked my bike up from that shop on Wednesday, and I had no idea this was going on... I would have loved to ride an R6 or an FZ-09 or an R1 or honestly anything else. When and where is this progressive show you speak of?
i was thinking about you, im like i wonder if he is here lol. Progressive show is in long beach every year, there you can test ride about every bike out there. last year they had, yamaha, kawi, indian,harley, can am and i think more.

The can am spyder was pretty fun to ride. No counter steering was weird to get use to but it was comfy and handle real well. I couldn't give up riding two wheels for three right now but if I was older or had an injury where I couldn't ride on two I would definitely consider one of those.

My buddy has a FZ09 so I have already tested it out and loved it.
exactly, im not quite ready to give up on 2 wheels yet but was really surprised how fun they were and what a safer alternative. If my back gets worse or i get in an almost wreck that scares the crapola out of me then i may get one. Id like to trade in my cruiser on one now and use it to take the wife and kid around but cant afford it without getting rid of both bikes. On a side note i saw and fz1 on sale for 7500 and i think i actually got some drool on it.

MattEnTheHat

i was thinking about you, im like i wonder if he is here lol. Progressive show is in long beach every year, there you can test ride about every bike out there. last year they had, yamaha, kawi, indian,harley, can am and i think more.
I will definitely try to be there then. Any idea when it is happening? It would be convenient if it was before september so I didnt have to come all the way down from SLO...

JSP

Super Moderator
The 09 is a blast! I love mine more and more every day. :D It is a beast for sure!

latony007

latony007

More test rides in so cal

so i found a couple more i am going to attend. Harley demo rides in Irvine on 8/30 along with the entire Suzuki lineup for test rides on the same day at Berts Mega Mall. Anyone around so cal im sure knows old Berts
If anyone hits either up let me know. I want to do the suzuki for sure, increase my list of bikes i have ridden!

Bert's Mega Mall | World's Largest Power Sports Showroom! Motorcycles for Sale, Used Motorcycles for Sale, Boats for Sale, UTV Side by Sides for Sale

Last edited: