Would you take your bike on a gravel road?

dawg

Looking to maybe take my FZ6R for a camping trip but worried I might end up on some rough roads. Wondering if others take theirs on gravel roads?

Other option is I look at getting another bike (enduro) :)

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
I've taken mine off-road a few times. You can do it. You just have to be really careful not to throw it over in a curve hoping to have the same traction on gravel as you do on the street. Not gonna happen. But if you are cautious about how much you are leaning over, it's totally doable. I have even gone down a muddy gravel road.

Be sure to take a small block of wood or kickstand puck so you don't sink when you stop and park the bike.

JSP

Super Moderator
Sure! I have taken the R6 off roading many times :D. Soft dirt, sand, gravel, etc. Just go slow and don't mash the front brake.

Chevyfazer

I don't have a fz6r but a fz6 and I've had mine down many back roads, forestry roads, etc etc etc with no issues. If it starts to get too rough remember to try and stand up on the pegs if you can. Also if you plan on riding through some freshly laid, really thick, or loose gravel where the tire starts to find grooves, speed up!!! Seriously it sounds crazy but you have way more control with a little more speed on the loose stuff vs taking it slow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337722901.056227.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1337722927.520647.jpg

Even rode it to my hunting property one weekendImageUploadedByTapatalk1337723059.352558.jpg

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

6R Blackout

I would, just would ride careful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Casey (aka) Hunter77!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

FitZ6R

Go for it. I did some off road when my FZ6R was a few days old:

Attachments

CrazyCawi

I do wheelies on dirt.

Superzoom

Been reading up a lot on gravel riding...

1. Relax on the bars, and let the front "wander". Focus well ahead, and don't try to microsteer.

2. Use very little, if any, front brake. Engine braking is fine.

3. You can use the throttle to steer and control the bike.

4. Ideally, you want lower pressure in your tires, but that's of course not very practical to change.

5. Practice a lot, especially at the beginning of the season, and you'll get better fast.

6. Be super, super smooth in turns and when braking. Try not to brake during turns.

miketriebsch

Shoot I've taken mine through a four wheeler trail lol. When it got stuck I just got off And mashed yet gas until it came out. Plus I drive it down a gravel road daily and it still looks brand new.

jlog65

I live down a gravel road and have to turn going downhill to go into my garage. Just take it slow till you you get the hang of it. Try to find a line that is packed down and not loose gravel. I only ride in the worn tire tracks from the cars and semi's. I don't know about the "let the front end wonder" part. That's how I dropped my GS. Letting some air out of the front tire does wonders. If you can drop it to about 20PSI you shouldn't have any problem. Just try not to use the front brake much, if at all. Also be cautious of turns where people my fishtailed or done doughnuts.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

FastFreddy

Yes, take it very easy at first and pick the lines before you get into trouble.

It feels like it makes me a better rider having gone offroad on it, coz you get light and start 'reading' the surface.

I ended up doing about 60-80 km/h down the rough roads without thinking about it, but then I realised and backed down to 55 km/h or so.
----
Last time I camped with the FZ6R, I went for a wander on a full moon night and walked to up the hill and towards some trees which turned out to be the eagles nest, he was pumping his wings to let me know how strong he was, I knew it was the eagle and not the magpie or kestrel from the sound of the wings pumping, so I went back the way I came after that hoping he wouldn't swoop me like the bush pigeon did earlier when I was pitching my tent. I saw some kangaroos and feral pigs the next day too.

Last edited:

flyingminno

I've done it many times before without incident! Just do as everyone above says, and you will be fine! An important thing to remember, we have tubeless tires, so do try to avoid any large ruts or rocks just to be safe!