wiring diagram — ok to make?

zerooo

would it be ok to design & post a full-color fz6r wiring diagram of my own making (i'm a graphic designer) for community use?

i don't believe creating a wiring diagram from scratch would be a violation of yamaha's intellectual property or the forum's policies, but wanted to check first — rather not have a permaban right off the bat.

BluePill

The factory service manual has a full color wiring diagram in the back. Not that it can't be improved, but it's pretty good.

To your question: If you publish original art you are not violating copyright law, as I understand it.

zerooo

thank you, i've just found it. decided to go a head anyway—mostly because i'm interested in learning everything i can about this (my second) bike, and as a neophyte, generally about dc electronics (solar, motorcycle, sail). it's interesting learning what the parts are and where they go (including what the common symbols mean). found myself flipping between pages to scan a reference list & look up which part is which on the diagram over and over again. attached are a few screenshots in progress. if anyone with more knowledgable eyes sees something wrong, lemme know. (i will post a pdf vector version that can be downloaded & zoomed-in at full resolution when the thing's complete).

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 7.20.16 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 7.20.43 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 7.21.11 PM.jpg

BluePill

Looks good. I agree that a labeled wiring diagram is much easier to work with. I assume that Yamaha uses the number call-out system to support multiple languages.

If you want to have some fun, do a current flow diagram of the "Main Relay" (Starter interlock & EFI) in various conditions - i.e. in/out of gear, side stand up or down, etc.

zerooo

ha! (now i'm googling what a current flow diagram is...) thanks bluepill, i think you're right, easy multi-language support makes sense re: the numerical system on a separate page

zerooo

quick screenshot of ecu diagram area in progress...why did i start doing this!? learning a lot about the basics, but really hope this doc will be useful in the end

Screen Shot 2017-12-30 at 8.40.29 PM.jpg

BluePill

FYI, one of the best tricks I learned for actual troubleshooting in a complex electrical system is to start with a black and white wiring diagram, then trace out the circuit(s) that I want to follow with color highlighter markers. Greatly reduces the visual complexity when you want to concentrate on a small part of a larger circuit.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member