Winterizing Your Bike

latony007

I nominate Lilday as Bad *** Rider of the Year.
LOL, either that or craziest rider of the year! I know it rains all year but really didn't think the UK got that much snow. You should talk to that guy that had the fricken 2 inch steel spikes coming out of his tires so he could race around the frozen lake :wtfgun:

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BrockGrimes

Good article, thought I'd throw this Q out there for discussion...

He says change the oil before winterizing, but you don't need to change the filter until spring time when you de-winterize... so he suggests changing the oil so the bike can sit around all winter, then change it again before you ride, so I'm basically wasting an oil change?

...I know it's not a very expensive thing to do which isn't the issue, but I do have 2 bikes to winterize, last year I put both bikes up on stands with the oil I was previously riding with, come spring, took them down and rode until I hit the mileage for the next recommended change, and went from there. As it stands now, I've got a couple of months left to ride, probably won't hit enough miles to make the recommended change, so I was just planning on doing what I did last year...

Any issue with that? Is there any damage done by riding with the oil that's been sitting around in the engine over the winter months?
Oil's not milk it's not going to expire. However, That being said the main reason for the change is the warm motor and humid air inside create moisture which contaminates the oil. I change it before winter, then just ride on that change once it warms up till the next change. Fresh oil isn't going to expire while sitting.
So to recap, change your oil before you store then just change it when it's due after it warms up again.

BoneJj

My winterizing is riding it all winter long, LOL.

ajones70

Snow has arrived here

This is what we had delivered today....goodbye roads and grass, see you again in May if we are lucky :(:(
Bikes all wrapped up for the next 7 ....... Will be drooling with envy over you guys who are still riding....

Attachments

sawnill

I live in a condo building and I have underground parking. I was wondering if I rode my bike for a little bit in my parking garage say once in a week and took it out on warmer days, do I still need to follow the recommended winterizing processes. Our winters are pretty bad which means I might have very few to no opportunities to ride longer distances in the next 3 - 4 months.

Last edited:

Invader Jim

I live in a condo building and I have underground parking. I was wondering if I rode my bike for a little bit in my parking garage say once in a week and took it out on warmer days, do I still need to follow the recommended winterizing processes. Our winters are pretty bad which means I might have very few to no opportunities to ride longer distances in the next 3 - 4 months.
Parking garage riding may be worse than letting it sit. Low RPMs (idling or riding around a garage) drain the battery. Also, short duration operation is going to lead to more condensation and possible rust problems.

I suggest you not ride during the winter unless you get get out for at least 30 minutes and you spend a good portion of that cruising at 5K RPM or higher. You need the higher RPMS to charge the battery. You need the longer ride time to burn off moisture. I do some winterization (Seafoam, battery tender, chain lube, check/correct tire PSI before riding) but I also make sure I get out and ride at least 1-2 times per month all winter long. My minimum criteria (just my personal preferences) is a sunny day, at least 40F, and roads are clear of snow and ice.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member