Winterizing Your Bike

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

DevlDog

Going to have to remember that this is here, but I'm going to ride this thing until I can't ride it anymore >.>

Virginia gets cold as hell sometimes though :(

latony007

Going to have to remember that this is here, but I'm going to ride this thing until I can't ride it anymore >.>

Virginia gets cold as hell sometimes though :(
Sometimes? You mean from October until March or April right?

DevlDog

Pretty much :( But it's started to get a bit chilly in the morning/evenings here already. Easily in the high 40's low 50's, not including any wind. Dunno about some of you guys, but I'm pretty cold natured, so I get cold eeeeeasy :(

HotSauce

Good article, thought I'd throw this Q out there for discussion...

He says change the oil before winterizing, but you don't need to change the filter until spring time when you de-winterize... so he suggests changing the oil so the bike can sit around all winter, then change it again before you ride, so I'm basically wasting an oil change?

...I know it's not a very expensive thing to do which isn't the issue, but I do have 2 bikes to winterize, last year I put both bikes up on stands with the oil I was previously riding with, come spring, took them down and rode until I hit the mileage for the next recommended change, and went from there. As it stands now, I've got a couple of months left to ride, probably won't hit enough miles to make the recommended change, so I was just planning on doing what I did last year...

Any issue with that? Is there any damage done by riding with the oil that's been sitting around in the engine over the winter months?

latony007

Pretty much :( But it's started to get a bit chilly in the morning/evenings here already. Easily in the high 40's low 50's, not including any wind. Dunno about some of you guys, but I'm pretty cold natured, so I get cold eeeeeasy :(
im with you, I get cold lower than 70! of course hitting 40 around here would have to be dead of night in the middle of the winter. I already put the lining in my jacket this weekend lol.

latony007

Good article, thought I'd throw this Q out there for discussion...

He says change the oil before winterizing, but you don't need to change the filter until spring time when you de-winterize... so he suggests changing the oil so the bike can sit around all winter, then change it again before you ride, so I'm basically wasting an oil change?

...I know it's not a very expensive thing to do which isn't the issue, but I do have 2 bikes to winterize, last year I put both bikes up on stands with the oil I was previously riding with, come spring, took them down and rode until I hit the mileage for the next recommended change, and went from there. As it stands now, I've got a couple of months left to ride, probably won't hit enough miles to make the recommended change, so I was just planning on doing what I did last year...

Any issue with that? Is there any damage done by riding with the oil that's been sitting around in the engine over the winter months?
I don't understand, what would be the point of putting new oil in if your not going to start it or ride it its not going to go anywhere but just sit in the reservoir.

MaximumHP

I don't understand, what would be the point of putting new oil in if your not going to start it or ride it its not going to go anywhere but just sit in the reservoir.
I guess this: "Used oil will become acidic and break down when not in use over longer periods of time" which I've heard before, but doesn't worry me enough to change it in the fall, I just change it in the spring with a new filter and good to go.

JSP

Super Moderator
Just a precaution. I would highly recommend changing before winterizing. That would be the important one. Toss up if you should change again come spring. Up to you.

One thing I may change... Maybe start the bike up with the new fresh oil just for a couple seconds to get that new fresh oil throughout the system. Then let it sit.

Last edited:

Riccochet

If you're running synthetic oil then don't worry about. Put the bike up and leave it be. Synthetics don't break down anywhere near as fast. Hell, the same oil has been in my lawn mower for 10 years.

Really, I wouldn't worry about it.

latony007

I guess this: "Used oil will become acidic and break down when not in use over longer periods of time" which I've heard before, but doesn't worry me enough to change it in the fall, I just change it in the spring with a new filter and good to go.
why not just drain it then? whats the point of putting new oil to sit in the crankcase and then taking it out in 4 months. Unless like someone else said you run It for 30 or so to get the new oil all through the system.

Chucker

Just a precaution. I would highly recommend changing before winterizing. That would be the important one. Toss up if you should change again come spring. Up to you.

One thing I may change... Maybe start the bike up with the new fresh oil just for a couple seconds to get that new fresh oil throughout the system. Then let it sit.
Thanks for clarifying Jay. I was going to question this. I recommend changing oil AND filter when winterizing, running the bike until fully warmed up to completely circulate the new oil, and then park it. The oil won't deteriorate over the winter if it's new, so no need to change again in the spring.

And ditto on the full tank of fuel. One of the biggest issues with older bikes is rusty tanks, and it almost always due to parking it through cold weather with a significant amount of air, and condensation, in the tank.

I do several track days a year and need to use distilled water with Water Wetter. This means I have to change the Water Wetter to anti-freeze in the fall, and then back to Water Wetter in the spring. Pain in the a$$, but I always have good fresh coolant in the bike. :)

Also very important to completely drench the chain with lube on all sides. Normal lubing can leave dry spots on the sides, which will invariably rust over the winter.

Lilday

Winterizing your bike in the UK:

Stick some rain tires on it and spray it with ACF50 to protect. Then buy some waterproof textiles.

I bet half of your winters is nicer than our summer!

This is me last year after an 80 mile commute:

I say bring it on :D

latony007

Winterizing your bike in the UK:

Stick some rain tires on it and spray it with ACF50 to protect. Then buy some waterproof textiles.

I bet half of your winters is nicer than our summer!

This is me last year after an 80 mile commute:

I say bring it on :D
wow, I wouldn't even go outside in that. never mind get on my bike. god I love so cal! :D

Riccochet

No way in hell I'm riding a street bike on those roads. I think it's sketchy riding my dirt bike in the snow, but a street bike on street tires, oh HELLS NO.

BoneJj

I scoff at your need to winterize...

Scoff scoff scoff, lmao.