Winter gloves help!!

braden07

Hey guys,

I live in utah and my morning school commutes are starting to get cold and my regular season gloves just aren't cutting it anymore.. anyone have a good winter glove suggestion?? i rode my fz6 all last winter and used some insulated hunting gloves that worked ok but now im willing to shell out whatever amount necessary to buy me some good cold weather gloves.. keep in mind it will be sub 30's and colder in the early morning here.. any suggestions are much appreciated..

thanks guys,

-brady

bleedinblue

Elite Member

redwing-2001

you may want to look into heated grips and heated jacket liner as well.

travisH3

I just was in the same boat. Heading to school got too cold. I ended up getting alpinestars drystar apex gloves. They are $95 bux new, and are so warm. I rode in the low 40's the other day and no air came through at all. But it's back up in the high 70's this week so I guess back to the old gloves lol.

ngengs

for those temps, i would recommend heated gloves. they are pricey, but they will be worth every penny if you are carrying any type of speed. wind chill for 30F @ 60mph is effectively 10F. pretty cold! :eek:

NWS Wind Chill Index
Ditto, but mine is battery powered heated gloves... gerbing s2. I've had it for a couple of weeks now. Granted it's not freezing yet, but in the morning here in North NJ, I've used it at ambient 40-45 degress, so I figured less 10 degrees on the interstate, state highways. My hands are very comfortable, not toasty, but very comfy!!! Pretty pricey $200. Batteries are as advertised, used them at 100% heating levels, last 2 hrs. At this level, they are warm, but I doubt if it's 135F. I always charge them after each use when I arrive at work. Good luck!

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

braden07

for a fast solution while you look for a better glove, through on some latex gloves under your existing gloves. Get them cheap at walmart, target, etc. They'll keep your hands from getting the wind chill. Not a permanent solution, but I've done that when I've been stuck out and the temps drop, you can throw a few in your pocket for anytime.

Have you checked your local dealer? Fit is very important as they are bulky. I settled on a pair of Castle gloves from a local dealer, a little bulky, but not as bad as some... ride in mid to low 30s and no problems for an hour or so commute.

thanks man, should have thought of that.. and thanks to the others for their thoughts.. i am gonna head to to jakewilson (jakewilson.com) their warehouse is like 15 miles south of me and im gonna go try out a couple recommended pairs..

-brady

travisH3

for a fast solution while you look for a better glove, through on some latex gloves under your existing gloves. Get them cheap at walmart, target, etc. They'll keep your hands from getting the wind chill. Not a permanent solution, but I've done that when I've been stuck out and the temps drop, you can throw a few in your pocket for anytime.

Have you checked your local dealer? Fit is very important as they are bulky. I settled on a pair of Castle gloves from a local dealer, a little bulky, but not as bad as some... ride in mid to low 30s and no problems for an hour or so commute.
yeah some of the winter gloves got really bulky. the alpinestars i got felt bulky compared to my mesh gloves but i feel they just need getting use to/broke in

This is what I did last year before I could replace my summer gloves. Helps quite a bit. Nitrile gloves work good because they are a bit thicker. Harborfreight sells them pretty cheap.

Chevyfazer

+1 on the latex gloves they work pretty good in a pinch. I have 2 pairs of winter gloves though, my gerbings t5's which are a heated full gauntlet which are not battery powered, they are powered by the bike. Only down side to them IMO is the fact that you have to have on a heated jacket liner in order to plug the gloves into. But with my dual controller you can control the power to the gloves and jacket individually which is a huge plus because I often don't need the jacket liner turned on much if at all. It's not much of a downside but its just something else I have to put on when its cold enough. I'm not 100% sure but they might make something that you could run the gloves without having a jacket on, and if they don't it wouldn't be to hard to make up a couple wires. My other gloves are a "standard" winter glove, they are coretec full gauntlets and they keep my hand pretty warm down to about 40 on normal riding and even colder if i keep speeds under 60ish. Full gauntlets also help a lot to keep the wind from shooting up your sleeves. I also make sure to stay with motorcycle specific gloves because they seem to all protect against the wind better and more importantly still have dexterity vs being fairly stiff like my hunting gloves, and the gerbings are actually much more flexible than my cortec's. The main reason why I have 2 pair of winter gloves instead of just using my gerbings plugged and unplugged is because riding everyday I occasionally get caught in the rain and its very uncomfortable riding in the cold with wet gloves lol

buzzbomb

Elite Member