Windy day

fz6rwolf

So after all the rain we've been getting decided to get out for awhile since was sunny but windy (15-25MPH with gusts to about 35). Only about 100 miles today because even though I pretty much stayed on smaller roads the wind just made it tiresome. A pic without bags today as I thought with the wind going without bags would be better, don't think it helped any. This was an area off the road by a stream in CT, with some picnic tables that I stopped for a smoke break.

Attachments

H

Have2BeFree

Good for you for getting out. Windy here today too with windspeeds of 20-30 mph with even greater gusts. Temps in the mid 50's so no riding for me though lots of bikes were out.

A

A.Thomas

since was sunny but windy (15-25MPH with gusts to about 35). Only about 100 miles today because even though I pretty much stayed on smaller roads the wind just made it tiresome.

I live in southern alberta and it is windy here most of the time.I hate it as i am just getting back into biking and the first time on the highway the wind scared the $#!% outta me. I am getting a little used to it now , but i agree it is tiresome.

B

blaxx

I live in southern alberta and it is windy here most of the time.I hate it as i am just getting back into biking and the first time on the highway the wind scared the $#!% outta me. I am getting a little used to it now , but i agree it is tiresome.
Me too! The first time I got hit by some crosswinds, I thought I was going to die! :eek: :eek:

Getting used to leaning into the wind now though, but I still would opt for no wind at all! ;)

B

BranNwebster

Living this close to the coast it seems to be windy all the time. I tends to beat you up.

fz6recon

The Hell Paso winds sneak up on you out of no where down here. Easily 35 mph wind gusts out of no where. The day I got my bike and road it home (first time I had ever ridden a bike at anything higher than 15 mph and at highway speeds) I got hit by some pretty bad winds on the way home on I10.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, wind is fun. :Flip:

Wait until you are in a hard bank and the gust blows from the opposite direction and the bike tries to stand up. :eek:

The coolest thing about wind and two wheels is that the bike will naturally and automatically lean into the wind to remain on a straight course of travel (unless you fight it). :rockon:

GoGreen09

Question for everyone here - I'm a new rider and riding in the wind is still new to me. I thought I got used to it, but the other night I got caught in a stiff crosswind. I leaned into the wind and kept my speed. Everything was good until I started to drift. I tried to lean harder and give it a little more throttle (about 65mph), but at a certain point I just couldn't fight the wind anymore and that's when i started to drift lanes(still leaning). The only thing I could do to stop drifting is to slow to about 40mph and get the bike upright. BTW, I ended up 3 lanes over on a right hand bank which puckered me up real good! Any advice if I did anything wrong? anything right?

B

blaxx

Question for everyone here - I'm a new rider and riding in the wind is still new to me. I thought I got used to it, but the other night I got caught in a stiff crosswind. I leaned into the wind and kept my speed. Everything was good until I started to drift. I tried to lean harder and give it a little more throttle (about 65mph), but at a certain point I just couldn't fight the wind anymore and that's when i started to drift lanes(still leaning). The only thing I could do to stop drifting is to slow to about 40mph and get the bike upright. BTW, I ended up 3 lanes over on a right hand bank which puckered me up real good! Any advice if I did anything wrong? anything right?
Same thing happened with me, you need to relax your arms, so the wind blowing against you doesn't cause false steering inputs to the handlebars.

GoGreen09

The first time I rode in the wind, I admit it was white knuckle driving. As I rode more, I learned to relax the arms. This last time, I felt relaxed up until i drifted 2 lanes over. I guess you can't help panic when you see the median comin at you real fast.

N

necrotimus

This is what I do:

First thing to make sure of when you ride when it is windy is your gear. Your gear should not be loose fitting otherwise you will act like a sail. I typically ride in a complete upright position and the only time I will lay on the tank is in wind to reduce my profile. Sometimes leaning into the wind isn't enough and you actually have to steer the bike into the wind. Just remember to keep your arms loose so when the wind stops the bike will come back on line.

Also it helps to pay attention to the surrounding terrain and how it effects the wind. Watch for wind blasts when crossing bridges or leaving a wooded area or crossing an intersection when building were blocking the wind.

PS sounds like you had a fun ride.