Which way to mod exhaust?

unitedwestang

My brother has been wanting to start riding, so this past week we picked up a nice 2009 FZ6R. He's not really into performance, he just wants to ride out on the open road! He was dead set on an I4 bike, but I was concerned with getting a super sport because this is his first bike. When I came across this bike, I thought it would more suit his needs.

Obviously he doesn't like the stock scooter sound of the bike, but like I said, he's not looking to gain any performance by upgrading the exhaust. I came across the stock exhaust mod on here. After listening to a number of youtube videos claiming to have modded the stock exhaust, there's is a lot of different sounds. If that makes sense?

The mod I am referring to is removing the tip, cutting the narrow pipe, then cutting a larger hole in the muffler and welding a tip on. Like what is cover here (pg 16):
http://www.600cc.org/forum/f89/mod-stock-exhaust-15987/index16.html

This is the sound he is looking for with the modded stock exhaust:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSXWQ5cRB80&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hqXZEQEsZg

But when I youtube fz6r exhaust mod, I find these too which we don't like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzzjAMFP6uQ

^ This one, to me, sounds more hollow and poppy. Does anyone know if there is different ways to go about this mod resulting in different sounds? And what I should do in order to achieve the sound the in first posted videos? Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

unitedwestang

Changing the exhaust should include a fuel controller to keep from running lean. I would look at a DIY kit from Marthy Motorcycle Exhaust Solution - Yamaha FZ6R, FZ-09 & FZ-07. He's a member here and could answer any questions if you pm him.
I understand this, for most cases. I am well aware of Marthy's exhaust. I've checked out his website and have seen a number of his posts through my research on here. I believe I remember seeing him say you wouldn't NEED a controller for this mod. He even offers a DIY kit which doesn't NEED a controller if you keep DBkiller in--if I recall correctly.

Like I said, he's not looking for performance, just sound. I mean really, who wants their bike to sound like a scooter? And if you just want the bike for riding, and not performance, why spend $300+ plus $200 on a programmer when you can get just the sound for like $30. Normally, yes, I hate people cheaping out, but this will likely be the only mod done to this bike.

jammer

I understand. I thought about going that route as well but I quickly figured out that I couldn't restrain myself.

unitedwestang

I understand. I thought about going that route as well but I quickly figured out that I couldn't restrain myself.
Oh believe me, I know. Neither of my Mustangs or my SV650 are exactly stock anymore lol. I have my outlets when my mod bug hits.

lark

I have the M4 exhaust that is designed for the 2013 fz6r and it sounds a lot better than stock without having to get a fuel controller (yet :D) not sure what the options are for a 2009 but for the 2013 it was just one. Easy install too.

unitedwestang

I have the M4 exhaust that is designed for the 2013 fz6r and it sounds a lot better than stock without having to get a fuel controller (yet :D) not sure what the options are for a 2009 but for the 2013 it was just one. Easy install too.
As far as I'm aware, for the 2009, either:
1. you do the above listed mod (~$30)
2. cut the stock muffler off after the header, weld in an adapter for a slip on muffler (similar to Marthy's DIY) (~$300 without programmer)
3. full exhaust (~$800+)

lark

Also, you can get R6 headers then attach whatever exhausts fit on the year headers you get. Lots of slip ons for those are available. There were relatively cheap headers on ebay.

I think Marthys has been the most popular and cost efficient method thus far.

unitedwestang

Also, you can get R6 headers then attach whatever exhausts fit on the year headers you get. Lots of slip ons for those are available. There were relatively cheap headers on ebay.

I think Marthys has been the most popular and cost efficient method thus far.
That is an option too, although from what I've read the R6 headers require minor bending to get everything to fit right.

I appreciate all the comments, but we're getting a little off topic. He's pretty dead set on modifying the stock muffler because: 1. from the first two videos posted, he likes the sound of it and 2. he doesn't want to spend minimum $300 just to change the sound of the bike.

If any has any opinions as to why the third video posted above sounds different than the first two, I'm all ears.

b6r

If any has any opinions as to why the third video posted above sounds different than the first two, I'm all ears.
sounds to me, he drilled holes into the stock one instead of cutting off the stock and weld on a new pipe.

I did the cut off method too, and it sounds just like that white fz6r.

unitedwestang

sounds to me, he drilled holes into the stock one instead of cutting off the stock and weld on a new pipe.

I did the cut off method too, and it sounds just like that white fz6r.
By George I think he's got it!

I hadn't even noticed, it looks like the stock tip is still on there in the "after" video. I would be willing to bet you are right. Thanks!

Prelusive

By George I think he's got it!

I hadn't even noticed, it looks like the stock tip is still on there in the "after" video. I would be willing to bet you are right. Thanks!
Only thing I would fore warn you about drilling holes is that it creates a rust point on your bike, I drilled into my stock exhaust and couldn't tell a noticeable difference so I took it off and I went with the route of new mjs headers and a slip on. Total cost was around 500. I know that's a little much but it's better than a rusty bike ;) I'm not sayin you can't try though! You may have better success than I did

unitedwestang

Only thing I would fore warn you about drilling holes is that it creates a rust point on your bike, I drilled into my stock exhaust and couldn't tell a noticeable difference so I took it off and I went with the route of new mjs headers and a slip on. Total cost was around 500. I know that's a little much but it's better than a rusty bike ;) I'm not sayin you can't try though! You may have better success than I did
I don't plan on drilling. That was the video I don't like. I plan on cutting the narrow pipe and welding a stainless tip with stainless wire. That is if the muffler is stainless. I haven't held a magnet to it yet. Doubt it's 304, but maybe 409?

Bert-Aus

The breadbox muffler isnt SS and dont rely on the sound quality of vids on youtube.
At the the end of day get yourself a short section of 50mm pipe, cut the stock breadbox off and weld the pipe section on. If you cant do it yourself, look for a local exhaust shop that will do it for you.
Once that is sorted you can put any shorty slipon muffler on you choose.