Two Bros Full Exhaust - Do you find it too loud?

spleakz0r

Hey guys,

I recently got my riders license and bought my first motorbike, a 2010 Yamaha FZ6R:

The bike came with the full two brothers exhaust system and has the P1 sound suppressor tip fitted to it.

At the time I bought it I didn't have my own helmet, so I borrowed a mates open-face helmet until I bought my own.

I had only ridden the bike 10 days (admittedly the first day was a massive 20hr stint from SA to NSW), but aside from the first 5-6hrs on the first day I always wore foam ear plugs like these to try protect my hearing.

Initially I would get a ringing in my ears which I would notice whilst riding and when I'd get off the bike, but this would go away a little while after getting off the bike.

Then, last Tuesday the ringing stayed and hasn't gone away.

I've stopped riding ever since for fear of damaging my hearing more, but the ringing still hasn't gone away and it's been about 4 nights now; I'm a little worried I may have done some permanent damage to my hearing. :(

1. I'm sure plenty guys here have the same exhaust on their bikes - How do you find the noise? How do your ears cope? Have you had the same thing happen to you? Did it go away? Did it stay?

I've now bought myself a proper full-faced helmet (SHOEI X-Twelve), ordered a P1X and plan on getting a custom set of ear plugs which can reduce up to 40dB to hopefully reduce the noise to a point where I won't damage my hearing.

2. Is there anything else you guys would recommend?

Any info would be appreciated.

iSpoolin

IMO every two bro's exhaust is to loud. You can buy bigger silencers for them but who wants to go through that hassle? I almost bought the TBR slip on for my Daytona until a buddy of mine let me here the one he had on his daytona. I didn't have eardrums left afterwards.

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Chevyfazer

Do you normally like loud things? Loud music, concerts, racecars, shooting guns etc etc etc. if you not used to loud noises then going from liking things quite to a really loud exhaust is probably what is bothering you the most. Once you ride it for a while with ear plugs you will more then likely begin to get accustomed to it I you normally don't like loud stuff. If it is still bothering your ears after a good bit of seat time on it then you might be better off selling the two bros, or trading it for a quieter system or use the money from selling it to go back stock. Because if you can't get accustomed to the loudness after a month or more you probably never will

spleakz0r

Perhaps the fact you now have a full faced helmet and new plug that it will go away over a couple weeks. Yes it'll take time to go away. Watch the other things you do, music, loud crowds etc..
I've completely stopped riding for the time being, I want to give my ears the best chance to recover.

I'll have my full-face helmet, p1x silencer and custom ear plugs all ready to go by the end of this week which should be a big improvement.

I'm just hoping the ringing goes away, it's had me quite concerned because it's still the same and has been that way for 5 nights now. :(

Do you normally like loud things? Loud music, concerts, racecars, shooting guns etc etc etc.
I listen to my iPod alot and listen to relatively loud music in clubs quite a bit, I've always been sensible though. I never have my iPod on high volume, I never stand right next to speakers in clubs etc.

In general I've never really been exposed (or allow myself to be exposed) to really loud environments.

if you not used to loud noises then going from liking things quite to a really loud exhaust is probably what is bothering you the most.
The odd thing is the noise wasn't really bothering me, with the ear plugs in it didn't actually seem too loud; it was just the damn ringing in my head !

The pitch of the ringing in my head would go up and down with the bikes RPM.

Once you ride it for a while with ear plugs you will more then likely begin to get accustomed to it I you normally don't like loud stuff.
It's not that the noise bothers me or that I don't like it; it's that the noise damages my hearing by giving me tinnitus.

If it is still bothering your ears after a good bit of seat time on it then you might be better off selling the two bros, or trading it for a quieter system or use the money from selling it to go back stock. Because if you can't get accustomed to the loudness after a month or more you probably never will
Well, provided the ringing goes away:

• I've got a full-face helmet now, which will completely prevent the wind from causing any noise/damage and should keep out a bit more of the exhaust noise
  • I will have the P1X tip fitted, which should drop the noise by about 4dB (previously had only a P1 tip)
  • I'll have pair of custom made industrial ear plugs, which according to the brochure reduce noise by up to 40dB

So I'm hoping that with all that, I'll be able to ride the bike and not damage my hearing.

If all that fails, then I've still got the stock exhaust system sitting in my garage, guess I'd have no choice but to refit it and sell my two bros.

applejax

The two bro exhaust is loud? I guess I'm so used to modified cars that it just seems like a normal exhaust note to me.

stevet

Any loud noise will take a permanent toll on your hearing especially as you get older. Imagine a world without sounds or greatly diminished hearing.
Noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL) – this is hearing loss due to exposure to either a sudden, loud noise or exposure to loud noises for a period of time. A dangerous sound is anything that is 85 dB (sound pressure level – SPL) or higher. Dangerous Decibels » How Loud is Too Loud?
My stock pipes are definitely loud enough for me. I also like being stealth. I see no good reason to subject other people to listen to loud motorcycle pipes. It just gives makes us a nuisance. Harley bikers are the worst offenders of all.

Fizzer6R

yes, the bark is far worse than the bite

Superzoom

SP, obviously your hearing is more sensitive than the average person, and you should respect that as you are now. Is there any reason you can't buy a stock exhaust off of someone, maybe as a trade for yours?

The stock exhaust is very, very quiet to the point that you really need to rev the engine for it to be even close to being "loud". At highway speed, wind noise is way more than the stock exhaust.

I find it very shocking that you are still suffering ringing with earplugs. Earplugs for me make a huge difference in sound levels. It's probably worth it experimenting with better/denser earplugs. There's a lot of variance among types and brands.

Chevyfazer

Ive herd of people also making their own db killers for the two bros as well, basicly starting with the smallest "power tip" and welding a traditional db killer insert to the back side of the tip to reduce the sound another couple of db's

Sage

The exhaust might have a little bit to do with it, but I agree with NastyButler, that 20 hour run with an open faced helmet and half of it w/o earplugs is more of a suspect to me. Wind noise and back pressure hurts my ears way more than the exhaust does. I guess you'll have to wait and see once your ears eventually recover

Deanohh

The P1X does make a noticeable difference, but does not make it anywhere close to quiet. Even with the best earplugs, the sound seems to resonate right through the bones in your head. I prefer the stock exhaust.

toofless

i agree it's crazy loud.

i'm so used to riding with earphones in and music loud, that i sometimes forget.

i try to be considerate and not ride next to cars if i can help it, i can only imagine that it would suck to be next to me for more than a second...

the silencer doesn't do much really, i do try to ride around the neighborhood in low gear, to keep the roar to a minimum...

earphones/plugs are a must, not to mention windnoise is a bitch, (everyone says the rf1100 is so quiet. really? it sounds like a hurricane in mine.)

Chevyfazer

I made my own exhaust for my fz6, it's not as loud as straight pipes but it is louder than any system you can buy for it. Most of he time I try to be considerate of that but I must admit that I love riding beside someone who is on their cell phone....normally I drop a gear and to try and keep the revs at about 8000, I've gotten plenty of dirty looks, windows being rolled up real quick, people tying to speed up...that one always puzzles me...it's like they think their car is faster then my bike, people hitting their brakes to get away, even been told I'm number 1 on a few occasions, but I have yet to see anyone actually put their phone down....

I put the TB exhaust on my 6R and thought it was too loud at first... I put the silencer tip in and then bought the P1X that suppresses the sound even more... After a while I actually got bored of how quiet it was.. It sounded too quiet and not really like a nice growling beast anymore.. Needless to say, I took the tip completely out and just got used to the sound...

I also wear ear plugs ALL the time. I get pain and fatigue from wind noise and the exhaust noise if I don't.

Currently I use earplugs, but I plan to buy the S-Plug in-ear buds. They completely cancel the noise out quite comfortably and allow you to listen to music without it being dangerously high.

toofless

I made my own exhaust for my fz6, it's not as loud as straight pipes but it is louder than any system you can buy for it. Most of he time I try to be considerate of that but I must admit that I love riding beside someone who is on their cell phone....normally I drop a gear and to try and keep the revs at about 8000, I've gotten plenty of dirty looks, windows being rolled up real quick, people tying to speed up...that one always puzzles me...it's like they think their car is faster then my bike, people hitting their brakes to get away, even been told I'm number 1 on a few occasions, but I have yet to see anyone actually put their phone down....
agreed........

F

FZ6R_Blue

I almost blew my ear drum shooting a shot gun without plugs. IMO TBE has a great sound not to loud at all. unless you are wearing a fullface helmet i would very highly recommend plugs some guys wear plugs with their helmet. i mean my dad ride a really loud harley which is way louder than the TBE and he never has issues with ears( he wears plugs)