Track Day Coolant

brownwa

So I'm off to my second ever track day on Monday. I'm in the novice group at Laguna Seca and am not expecting to break any sound barriers. My big question is do I really need to replace my coolant with Water Wetter or Yamalube?

The reason I ask is that I was fine on my first track day at Sonoma. Mind you that was riding one on one, being lead by an instructor. Also Sonoma has no straights so the engine never got hot. Laguna Seca has some serious straight sections so I'm worried about engine heat. The weather forecast is 58 degrees for Monday May 4, so I am considering just leaving the stock coolant in the bike.

Thoughts on this? My backup plan is to just pit out if the engine temperature warning comes on.

Hellgate

If your temp light comes on at 58 degrees it's not the fluid's fault. You're fine. Go ride and have a great time.

In Texas we do track days at 100+.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

brownwa

Thanks guys. Just got the bike serviced last month for the shift shaft recall so all fluids etc. were checked. Also just popped the 1000 mile cherry last weekend so the bike is ready for a real workout.

And yeah, I live less than 2 hours away from three major race tracks that all host track days for $200 and change. Hence why I'm pushing myself to get out there while I'm fortunate enough to have the opportunity. I definitely could not do it with having to pay for flights, hotels and a bike rental etc.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Chucker

Most tracks require you to run water or water plus Water Wetter or something like that. This requirement is not because of cooling properties, but because coolant makes a mess of the track if someone goes down and ruptures a hose or their rad, which can lead to more crashes.

I switch my coolant to water plus Water Wetter before my first track day each spring and switch back to coolant for the winter. I have never had an issue with heat, as the Water Wetter works very well. Antifreeze coolant is for us poor souls that have to endure long hard winters. Not that important for you southerners. It does have some good properties to protect your engine innards and water pump, but not absolutely necessary at above freezing temperatures.

Check with the track to see what they require. You don't want to show up with coolant in your bike and not pass the technical inspection.

Forgot to add, if you switch to water plus Water Wetter, be sure to use distilled water.

Last edited:

Chucker

Start your tire pressure a bit lower that what you use for normal street riding. You want to maximize grip at the track... if you're not sure ask around what other use for cold psi.
I normally run around 28 PSI cold for the track. Seems to work well.

Having said that, if you're running stock tires, be prepared for them to get a little greasy after 6-8 laps if it's hot.

brownwa

Thanks all for more great feedback. I took your collective advice and matched my bike up against the host's track day requirements. The don't express a need for water wetter so I think I'm ok with the stock coolant.

The tire pressure advice is something I didn't consider so thanks again for that. Also experienced slippery street tires on my first track day, especially rear tire oversteer. Steady throttle seemed to keep the rear tire slippage controlled and slightly beneficial, but now I will definitely take heed of it.

Can't imagine braving a track day in a scooter lol. Did you scrape the pegs? :D

Btw I'm a Canadian from Ontario who relocated to California, hence why I'm hopping on this chance at a Laguna Seca track day :canada:

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member