To the not-so-young riders

ngengs

Hi all,

I've been lurking around this forum as I am seriously considering the FZ6r for my next bike. However, being a middle-aged, sort-of-newbie (1.5 years riding exp.) rider, I am leaving the door open for a Versys and much recently a Truimph Bonneville (although, some articles that I've read talk about leakage in the "old" bonnes, which supposedly have been addressed by Truimph).

Currently I have a Suzuki TU 250x which I enjoy very much using as a commuter. This bike happens to look like a smaller version of the T-bonne. Great on local and state hi-ways, even on interstates. My only complaint is when I get to the uphill slopes on I-287, it loses steam. For this reason, I am 99% of the time on the right lane.

I love the Yami 6R based on the reviews, hearing about the smoothness and the "power-when-you-need-it" aspect of the bike. At my age (52), I do not intend to burn rubber anymore... 80 to 85 mph max is fine with me. And I know this bike's top speed way exceeds that.

So, to end my rambling, feedback for riders in my age group (upper 40s and beyond and even the youngens too) is GREATLY APPRECIATED

Last edited:

sammy56

First off welcome and I must say that the FZ6R is a great bike.
The FZ6R was not my first bike and I have logged over 10,000 miles on her and it is rock solid and super fun!
That being said, I am in my mid 40's and I am considering a cruiser for my next ride. Simple reason being, my leg muscles just ain't as strong as they use to be and for an all day ride, I get a bit tired on the FZ6R. It is a sport bike and you really need to ride it like one to enjoy it to the max. No wrist, shoulder, back or neck issues at all....you simply need to ride it correctly, but it is a workout!!
Just something to consider.....
I am looking at the Road Star, HD Switchback and V Star 1300.....putting the old legs out is really starting to appeal to me..:):)

LB

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member

RoadTrip

You will love the extra power, however there are discomforts to contend with as others have mentioned. I actually found my ass and legs experienced more discomfort on the FZ6R than on my GSXR600 (I am 6'2" / 175lbs), however lower back is a much bigger discomfort on the GSXR600. But, I am talking about long trips here, anything under 2 hours is not an issue, but dip into the 4+ hr range and the FZ6R can become uncomfortable in the legs/ass.

The FZ6R has got alot going for it, though: looks cool, premium build, reliability, low insurance, plenty of power, turns well.

Coming from a TU250x, you will think the FZ6R is a Hayabusa. But, you did mention the Triumph, if you are a short trip guy and got the funds to keep it maintained, then that could be a really good choice as well. The FZ6R is sports model, no doubt, it fits well with those who want a sportier ride. And, yes, I am over 40.

Chucker

I'm 48 and I say, "Get one!" It's great for everything except long distance 2up riding. I love it at the track and on the street.

I too would like a Bonneville, but I don't want to give up the sportiness of the 6R and I can't justify 2 bikes.

BKP

Mid-50's here, ngengs, for what it's worth. I'm not sure age is as much a factor as your priorities and personal "comfort quotient."

I knew *exactly* what I was getting into ergonomically, when I bought the FZ6R. I use it mostly for around town, a few longer trips, and a little bit of weekend twisties, when I can laugh at being in my mid-50's... That's when I live...
So, my priorities were a relatively upright ride, good around town, outfitted for the occasional tour, rock solid reliability, that I can still flick around on Blood Mountain, when I wanted to. A cruiser wasn't in that definition. I *still* grin, coming around a sharp turn, and hanging off the bike -- in traffic. That's simply a large part of the enjoyment I get out of it. I'm not sure driving in relatively straight lines, in pure comfort, on a Honda Shadow Phantom (which I looked at as well), would maintain my enthusiasm for riding.

Anyway, that being said, I *do* find myself having to stretch my legs out occasionally. Especially after backing it out of a tight space, on a slight incline (hate those hip cramps that follow). And, while I intend to keep this bike for quite a while, my next bike *will* be something a bit more sedate for that reason. I might be in age-denial (although, I'm holding up rather well), but, the cruisers will have their appeal, especially as my twisties/touring ratio starts to shift further and further towards touring...

So, for what it's worth... If I had it to do over again, today, I'd buy the FZ6R again. Next year, or the year after... it probably *will* be that Phantom...

Good luck, and ride safe...

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

oldtouring b

Greetings

I am 68 years young!! I luckily can afford any bike I find interesting. In the last 4 years I have tried 9 different models. The lone bike in the garage is the FZ6R.

Being 5'8" it fits perfect. The lightweight nature makes for very easy handling. Spencer redid the seat so I can do 300 a day with no discomfort.

Very important is the dependability. With routine service it is bulletproof. Don't get me started on BMW or Ducati!!

If you can find a great bike that is near $5000 that talks to you--Buy that damn thing. You will never regret the purchase.

ngengs

I'm in my mid-40's and have been riding over 20 years. I commute back and forth to work each day on my bike. (Motorcycles are allowed to use the HOV/carpool lane, here). I also take the bike on trips out of town and am comfortable for extended hours on the highway.

I picked the Yamaha FZ6R for the following reasons:

(1) The riding position - I hurt my back many years ago and didn't want a bike with an agressive forward lean.
(2) Urban Friendly - As I live in a city, I needed a bike with nice street manners for surface streets, but with enough power to get on the highway for commuting. The 600 engine fits that requirement, perfectly. A liter bike would have been over-kill and too agressive to maneuver in town.
(3) Economical - Good value for the price, Great Gas Mileage and cheap to insure.
(4) Dependablitliy - I was tired of bikes that spent more time at the shop, than I spent riding them. My Yamaha has never lets me down, turn the key, hit the starter and go (all the time... every time).
(5) Appearance - I really liked how the bike looked.

Hope this helps...
Thanks to all of you!!! Your feedback have been very helpful.

Y

yellowfz

Don't have much to add, everyone has said just about what I would say.
Great ride, will give you years of great riding experience. Changed plugs the other day and was playing around and can pull the front up in 3rd now. :D
Wife and I rode 325 miles the other day and only thing that got tired was my right wrist, gets tiring holding throttle at speed.
Oh and gas mileage is great on one, 48 to 54 mpg easy, have gotten as high as 62.

Enjarin

Elite Member

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

Detrich

The 6R is very ergonomic & comfy IMO. Before I sold my 6R, I remember riding my R6 and then switching over to the 6R and thinking, wow this is like riding a lounge chair. lol...

Alex6

You're all bunch of old f#cking geezers!

I know few guys well over 60 that ride SS daily - a modified ZX-10R, GXR1000 and CBR900RR!!!
So, since I am an old f#cking geezer myself, I bought a girly, slow, mildly retarded sport-wannabe bike - FZ6R.

You will like it, excellent choice.

raybob

How tall are you, ngengs?

FWIW, I'm 55, 6'2", and cross-shopped the FZ6R with, strangely, the Triumph Thruxton. If Triumph had kept the clip-ons for the Thruxton (instead of reverting to bars), I'd be riding one instead of the FZ6R. Doubt the new bonnie would be a bad choice. Although I read that some of them do weep a bit of oil, they are NOTHING like the abortions kicked out by the old Triumph in the late 60s through the end in 82 (83?).

A lot of guys like the wee-strom as well (Suzuki V-strom 650). You might look at one of them, too.

Bob

ngengs

How tall are you, ngengs?

FWIW, I'm 55, 6'2", and cross-shopped the FZ6R with, strangely, the Triumph Thruxton. If Triumph had kept the clip-ons for the Thruxton (instead of reverting to bars), I'd be riding one instead of the FZ6R. Doubt the new bonnie would be a bad choice. Although I read that some of them do weep a bit of oil, they are NOTHING like the abortions kicked out by the old Triumph in the late 60s through the end in 82 (83?).

A lot of guys like the wee-strom as well (Suzuki V-strom 650). You might look at one of them, too.

Bob
I am 5'10", 200ish lbs. I've sat on the FZ6r at the dealers twice already (was trying to convince him to let me test ride it, but no luck). I like the ergo on the 6r, but the Bonne is more upright, (I also dig the retro look). One thing that I LIKE on the FZ6R is it's a 4 cyl, which I guess is one reason why it is smooth. Like you mentioned, even though it's not as bad as the old Truimphs, I've read that the Bonne's do have a leakage issue.

So, with all the positives pointed out in earlier posts here, I do believe, I am 99.999% sure it will be the FZ6R... when is the question. Just need to make sure of the finances before I take the plunge. THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU.

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member