The Prius Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.

RocketRyder510

I was trying to make a video that showed me splitting lanes for fam and friends, but ended up highlighting my "road enemy" - the Toyota Prius. Im sorry, but I f*ckin hate :Flip: most Prius drivers because they are always going too slow in the #1 lane IMO. The vid kinda turned in a game. How many Prius' can you spot in the video? :popcorn:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPBY3DrN4fs"]FZ6R - The Prius Hunter - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

bmw675

Rich007

You're not alone brotha, freakin Prius's are all over the place in the northwest. It's like they are having a competition on who can get the best fuel economy by barely touching the throttle. The only competition they are winning is who can be the biggest a$$hole behind four wheels.
When you flash to pass on the freeway they look at you like you are crazy for wanting to exceed the speed limit. I just want to tell them that the speed limit is just a suggestion.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

RocketRyder510

You're not alone brotha, freakin Prius's are all over the place in the northwest. It's like they are having a competition on who can get the best fuel economy by barely touching the throttle. The only competition they are winning is who can be the biggest a$$hole behind four wheels.
When you flash to pass on the freeway they look at you like you are crazy for wanting to exceed the speed limit. I just want to tell them that the speed limit is just a suggestion.
OK, so it's not a Cali thing!

RocketRyder510

I think there were 3 in the left lane, and it looked like only one of them was not 'reasonably close to the car in front of it'. One was two or three cars behind the car in front of it, and the third looked to be a VTA Outreach car that was behind a bus of some sort. And I saw a bunch of other cars, Prii included in the other lanes. Target fixation on the Prii?

I also saw you pass a car by leaving and entering the HOV to go around a car (Prius, no?). I wonder who would get the ticket - the Prius for going "too slow," or you for crossing the double line:

CHP-HOV and HOT Lane Information

Vs

V C Section 22400 Minimum Speed Law
Milton, I was indeed being a bad boy! :spank: I was being a tad bit impatient as usual. For some reason, I always get caught behind a slow cager in the HOV. But you're right, I would get the ticket if CHP was behind me.

It may appear to be target fixation, but in reality, I didn't notice most of those Prii (Thanks!) while I was riding. I only noticed them while editing (and only after I "tagged" the first Prius), and then it turned into a game.

As for the count, I'll wait for a few more guesses before giving the answer.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

bmw675

We all get stuck behind someone driving slower than we want. That's why there are all those other lanes to pass people in. Left lane, right lane, whichever is easiest, as long as you signal so people know you're coming. Speaking of which - the bike that came over at you in the video - did he ever notice you? Maybe he saw you and moved over for you to pass (I move to the left side of the left lane to let a bike pass me).
Here in illinois, they can write you a ticket for passing someone on the right.

Reactions: JSP

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

We all get stuck behind someone driving slower than we want. That's why there are all those other lanes to pass people in. Left lane, right lane, whichever is easiest, as long as you signal so people know you're coming. Speaking of which - the bike that came over at you in the video - did he ever notice you? Maybe he saw you and moved over for you to pass (I move to the left side of the left lane to let a bike pass me).

Sorry, man, but this is incorrect. The lane furthest to the right is for driving. The left lane is for passing. In situations where there are more than two same direction lanes, the same rules apply, but due to the volume of traffic, additional passing lanes are provided for those who are passing at a faster rate than those passing one lane to the left of the driving lane. The middle lanes usually default to driving lanes because the right lane is filled with slower traffic. However, if you are driving and there is an empty lane to your right, you're doing it wrong. Move over.

Having a free-for-all with people passing wherever there is space will lead to more crashes. I never pass on the right on my bike because the system is designed for passing on the left. People should expect faster traffic over their left shoulder and expect to be faster than traffic over their right shoulder. It why the driver's seat is standardized to the left side of the car, and why they drive on the opposite side of the road in places where cars are right hand drive.

By passing on the right, you are exposing yourself to a huge danger in the form of someone moving to the right to clear the passing lane and not seeing you. It is harder to see the right hand blind spot, and people aren't conditioned to check it the same way.

As a society, North America is populated by poor drivers. A combination of vast distances, poor public transit, and a powerful lobby by auto manufacturers has made North America one of the easiest places in the First World to get a license. Because of this, lots of drivers don't really know how to drive properly. They can operate the controls, but they can't merge properly, can't pass properly, have no concept of lane positioning or how to behave around other traffic, and are generally unpredictable. Unpredictable drivers are the most dangerous to others.

Watch YouTube videos of people blasting the Autobahn. They can get away with it because they know what the other drivers are going to do. Messing with the rules (passing on the right, for example) in Germany is a far worse ticket than a speeding ticket here, because they understand the need for organization on the roads. It is also much harder to get a drivers license there because you have to prove you understand the rules of the road before you can drive. Although Germany and the Isle Of Mann are the only places with roads with no speed limit, most of Europe has very strict driving laws regarding rules of the road, and their highways are statistically much safer (even the sections of Autobahn with no speed limit) than any place in North America. Do your part; learn the rules and abide by them, even if the idiot next to you doesn't. It might save my life one day.

Last edited:

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member
Reactions: JSP

Brock Kickass

In California, it's legal to pass someone on the right:

V C Section 21754 Passing on the Right

Passing on the Right

21754. The driver of a vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only under the following conditions:

(a) When the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn.

(b) Upon a highway within a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of moving vehicles in the direction of travel.

(c) Upon any highway outside of a business or residence district with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width and clearly marked for two or more lines of moving traffic in the direction of travel.

(d) Upon a one-way street.

(e) Upon a highway divided into two roadways where traffic is restricted to one direction upon each of such roadways.

The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a slow moving vehicle from the duty to drive as closely as practicable to the right hand edge of the roadway.

But as the last bit mentions, it's also illegal to impede traffic in the left lane at any speed (CA VC 21654).
It's also legal in Ontario to ride an R1 on the highway after taking a 40 question multiple choice test making sure you know what a stop sign means and the like. It doesn't matter if you've never seen a motorcycle before. My point is that our system is flawed from the ground up. Your post proves my point just as much as it proves yours.

Rich007

This mentality is what I think all Prius drivers are taught in there "Prius driving school on how to be the biggest a$$hole on 4 wheels".

They seem to think there is another lane for you to pass them in so they are not moving even when all other lanes are occupied. They must be taught that when entering a freeway with multiple lanes that you must merge as far over as possible to the left and if you exceed the speed limit then you precious Prius will be taken from you along with your Obama stickers.
I'm sorry Milt but you need to sell the Prius and go to "normal people driving school".

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member
13?
Lol they're rare in Atlanta as far as I know. I hardly see them. I usually laugh a point though.

RocketRyder510

Speaking of which - the bike that came over at you in the video - did he ever notice you? Maybe he saw you and moved over for you to pass (I move to the left side of the left lane to let a bike pass me).
I don't believe the other rider ever noticed me. He was on the left when I noticed him, so I approached slowly to give him time to spot me. Then, at the last moment he hit the brakes and changed lanes without using his blinkers.

I'd like to see the count of Prii vs other cars - by model, maybe by manufacturer, or even just style (e.g. SUV). Counting in the South Bay (I saw a sign for "237" in your video) would probably give different numbers than the Richmond area, no?
The Prius count in Richmond is not as high on the surface streets. But, get on I-80 or 580W and the count remains as high as the South Bay.

RocketRyder510

This mentality is what I think all Prius drivers are taught in there "Prius driving school on how to be the biggest a$$hole on 4 wheels".

They seem to think there is another lane for you to pass them in so they are not moving even when all other lanes are occupied. They must be taught that when entering a freeway with multiple lanes that you must merge as far over as possible to the left and if you exceed the speed limit then you precious Prius will be taken from you along with your Obama stickers.
I'm sorry Milt but you need to sell the Prius and go to "normal people driving school".

You generalize a lot. I wouldn't have expected that from someone in Seattle.
If that was a generalization, then it was a good one!

Last edited:

dnielson45

Elite Member
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.