The Dragon! Third Run.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

ranger09

I did the dragon last year. Rode from Canton, Ohio to Nashville to Knoxville to dragon to back home...

That was just in one weekend. Crazy long trip and I was exhausted by the end. Saw one guy wreck taking a hairpin too fast.

You are correct if you hesitate or second guess yourself it could mean your life.

Amazing ride can't wait to go back and do it again!!!

arse

Hey ranger09 I'm in canton and looking to make my first trip there this year. Hit me up!

FastFreddy

What an awesome road.
I can see that it'd take a lot of dedicated practice to get those curves just right. Early braking, balanced throttle going thru and rising throttle action coming out.

EsrTek

It's not that difficult a road, I took it on w/ 2mo street riding exp... in fact did that whole area that trip. As long as your not trying to be a motogp racer, you'll be fine.

Ratster

OK. Here's my third run against the Dragon. It's coming up the side opposite from the vid you saw in my first run.

By this point, I've run the Dragon, run the 120 mile loop, run the Dragon again, then turned around and come back for the Dragon.

If you watched the first vid, you'll notice how much smoother I am by this point. I'm not dropping the bike into every corner. It's more of a progression, left to right and back again.

No close calls. Once rode the double yellow, though. At the end of the vid, I ran up on a couple cages towing boats. I left it in the vid for a purpose: Watch the wheels of the tailing boat trailer around the blind corners where bikes are flying through...

ThirdRun - YouTube

You should invest some time and money into Keith Codes "Twist Of The Wrist II"
You will learn a lot about proper cornering technique.:thumbup:

SpawnXX

Premium Member

linkgt

Awesome road. Looks like it will be a lot of fun once you learn it and can take the corners at higher speeds.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

2wheelie

The wide-angle lens of the GoPro straightens out the curves. Look at the lean angles.
That's right. The bigger angle you set, the farther and straighter the road and everything on it, will be seen on screen. That's why I don't set my Drift on HD (you can't play with the angle size in HD) but I set on 720 and adjust (zoom-in) the view angle just to see the road ahead and a bit on the sides. About 1/4 or 2/3 of the angle. This way it will be seen more real.
Nice ride. I'll be there in June.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

2wheelie

Sorry. I'm feeling bit defensive. I ride well. I've been riding since the mid eighties! I've been riding sportbike for a couple years, now and working hard on my form.

I was totally blown away by that road, and it hurt. All the comments that I read as "You should learn to ride" only incensed me.

I didn't mean to sound like an ***. You're right. Given time to learn the rode, I would have ridden it better. However, I know that it wasn't the road. It was my skill. I've nothing to practice on that even comes close to that road.

It owned me, and it hurts. :(
Take the critique lightly. MotoGP racers still studying the circuit for 2 days before the race, while doing the qualifying...
Ask 10 people and you get 10 different views... Sure some constrictive criticism may help, but at the end of a day - you know yourself what you can and what you have to work on.

I'm coming from NJ, so I was planning on riding the BRP all the way from north to south before coming to the Dragon. Not sure if it worth it or maybe to get off at some point and take other routes then back again...