Test ride before purchase

ngengs

Hi all,

In case this subject has been previously discussed, I apologize...

Just curious about how common or uncommon is it to buy this bike without test riding it? I live in Northern NJ and I checked North, West, South Jersey dealers and they DO NOT allow test rides! I kinda knew that they don't, but I even tried calling dealers in NYC.

I've done extensive research on my own, and the feedbacks from this great forum are awesome, but I found out that actually riding the bike IS the best way to know the bike, to FEEL the bike as I was able to test ride a bmw f650 gs and a HD 883, not sadly no FZ6r!

Were you able to test ride your FZ6R in your area (pls. mention which state or even town if you're willing) before you bought it? I am willing to drive an hour's drive (up to 50-60 miles) to be able to do so.

JSP

Super Moderator
I have NEVER known any dealer (that I have been to) give test rides with NEW bikes. USED bikes on the other hand they let you. They do not want/may not be allowed to have miles on a "new" bike.

There are certain times when dealers will have "demo" days and you can test ride certain bikes.

Story_AR

In Washington state, most dealerships have insurance that covers test rides on sport bikes.
I'd suggest trying out craigslist sellers, coming with cash and an endorsement.

Rawknrohl

In Maine there are only a couple dealers that DO NOT let you test ride new bikes, most will let you if you have at least one year of riding experience, and all but a few just need to see an endorsement. Good luck... (I would NEVER buy anything with a motor that I couldn't try out first.) So...come on up! :)

danieljardim

In Maine there are only a couple dealers that DO NOT let you test ride new bikes, most will let you if you have at least one year of riding experience, and all but a few just need to see an endorsement. Good luck... (I would NEVER buy anything with a motor that I couldn't try out first.) So...come on up! :)
I bought mine without test riding. Love it so far.

CrazyCawi

Alot of insurance companies charge extreme premiums to allow a dealership to give out test rides on bikes, which is why so many dealers dont do it.

FZ1inNH

Super Moderator
I don't know any dealer in NH that allows a test ride. They DO have ride days to test on Dealer-led planned routes so getting there early and signing up for the model(s) you wish to try is key.

yfz6r

Fly to Southeast Missouri and you can test ride mine.

Try to find someone around you that has one. Never hurts to ask. let them follow you in your car and give them a few bucks for their generosity.

amg14

In michigan i have never been to a dealership that allows test drives. nevertheless i did a considerable amount of research, across roughly 2-3 months, before landing on the fz6r as my bike of choice. this was my first bike ever, so i had to make sure i knew what i was looking for and how that translated into finding the right fit. i sat on many bikes and asked a lot of questions at dealerships, polled plp on the streets, scanned articles on the web (a lot of comparisons between different manufactures sports touring type bikes as that was what i was ultimately looking for), and even looked at the forums of bikes that i had narrowed my search down to.

in the end i would have gone with a ducati ST3 but i was a recent college grad with student loans so i had to think more logically and bought my yellow 6r. while i had very little riding experience prior to this purchase (dirt bikes in the country and i took my dad's ST3 out 2 times in a parking lot when i was 19), my new 6r has met and or exceeded my expectations. a year later i am still happy with my purchase. its fast enough to keep me safe and happy. comfortable to tour with (while i don't suggest it, i have booked it from DET to up north non stop for 250-300 miles). mpg is a bonus. mods are a plentiful. looks great. easy to do my own maintenance.

little information about myself: 6'2. 200lbs when i bought the bike; now 175lbs.

Attachments

jocampo

No test ride here in Houston, Texas.

They said NO when buying my new Ninja 250 (it was 2008) and they said also NO, when buying my fz6r few months ago.

Somehow, I regret that when I bought my fz6r. While it is a fantastic bike, I think I was mature and ready enough for a more powerful or different bike than the Yamaha. But, no hard feelings. However, if I buy a new bike, I may put more pressure on asking for a test ride than I did before.

But, I understand. New bikes are not like cars. They have two wheels and riding a bike is more challenge. If I was a dealer manager, I would hesitate to give a brand new bike for testing to someone I don't even know will buy or not.

DragonBlu

I bought mine in Longview ,Washington and the dealer said"don't you want to test ride it first?" I said "I'll ride it home 40 miles if you give me a decent price." It was one of the nicest rides of my life.

va_bank

Just curious about how common or uncommon is it to buy this bike without test riding it? .
Both are common. It used to be that even when buying a bike from a private seller you couldn't test ride. I used to sell my bike with a 45 min. return policy and that seemed to satisfy people.

You're not going to get a dealer to let you test ride, unless it's a special event. But I still think you should consider buying used. It has become common for private sellers to let buyers test ride bikes if they get to hold the cash while you do it. I sold my last bike (Honda Fury) a month ago and let the guy test ride for the first time in my life.

jocampo

I used to sell my bike with a 45 min. return policy and that seemed to satisfy people.
Really? ... :rolleyes:

How would you deal with a possible accident? When I sold mine, I immediately drop insurance. As a matter of fact, I allowed a test ride, but after getting the money, deposit it on my bank account, and the buyer signing a document agreeing that if the bike got dropped, it was considered "sold" .... :) ... yeah, I'm a bit paranoid.

By the way, I usually like to sell my bikes close to the bank I have my payroll deposit. It has a big parking lot and I deposit the cash immediately. So many bad people around, you never know, lol ...

Last edited:

va_bank

Really? ... :rolleyes:

How would you deal with a possible accident? When I sold mine, I immediately drop insurance.
I wouldn't have to. The bike is sold, the title is signed and we both have a signed bill of sale. If he crashes it and decides to return it - sorry, no chance. My plate is not on it, insurance is cancelled and I have his signature that he bought it.