stupid question

nlpyle

ok so i just might be an idiot but oh well. So here is my story. I just got back from a ride and on the way back it was windy (not an issue) but my bike started shifting side to side a little more then normal, my thought is my tire pressure, now the stupid question. I can not seem to find the specs for the tire pressure in the manual and when i looked on the tires i did not see one on the rear and i think i saw one on the front but it said 42, now no way in the world would i believe i just put 42psi in the front. Right now the front is sitting at 25 and the rear at 30 which to me seems a little low. They are stock wheels and tires, so anyone know the specs on that? And yes i will be the first to admit I am an idiot:shakehead:

FitZ6R

Look for a sticker on the left swingarm. For loads up to 198 lbs, the spec is 33 PSI front, 36 rear.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
I believe it is 36 front 42 rear if you are over 198 lb. Thats what I have mine set at and its great. With it lower it just feels mushy.

FitZ6R

I'm actually looking for a good gauge, I'm not impressed with most out there. My buddy at work let me borrow his digital (he's a former amateur cage racer) and it actually had an accuracy spec. I'm looking for something similar, that works well with tight fit of the front discs.
I have an Accutire digital gauge (pic) that seems accurate (at least it's consistent with my other gauges). The angled head works pretty with the brake discs.

Attachments

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Look on the swingarm for pressure specs, but, lower pressure should be more grip for turns, not sure what it would do in high winds on straights.
OH, and do check those pressures at least once a week!
I just wanted to clarify something in your statement, as a public service. This is true, but only so when on the track taking the turns at high speeds. Even then, the pressures will only be a few PSI below the recommended presures. On the road under normal driving condition, low tire pressure may actually cause the rims to roll over the side of the tires. This is NOT good! You could break the seal and go completely flat, or even pull the tire off the rim. Handling will be dramatically affected as well.

So, please check your tire pressures regularly, and maintain the recommended pressure. If you have trouble forgetting or are too lazy, they actually make valve stem caps that transmit the pressure to a key ring in digital format so you can see the pressure without checking it manually.

demon408

just need to post so the counter will read 17,000 sorry nothin productive to put in later

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Last edited: