straight pipe?

mwilkins_2000

im thinking about straight piping my exhaust with a nice tip on it ....i plan on cutting the stock cat off right at the manifold and welding a 3in diameter straight pipe in its place the same lenghth with a 70 degree bend on the end with a nice tip basically come out the same as the stock but what you guys think will it hurt anything i doubt it will but im curious i know it would be loud as **** but thats all i can think of doing

cbzdel

does back pressures affect motorcycle engines??

lilfuzz

Not as much as some cars. Cnat imagine a straight pipe would hurt it any. But witht he pipe being so short I wonder if it would take a toll on the exaust valves?

F

Fred

Your bike will run like crap.

Nevermind the fact that a straight pipe is lousy for performance.

Focus on the fact that without a proper muffler, the exhaust pulses will be drawing fresh air back into the pipe between cylinder exhaust pulses, which will cause your O2 sensor to see oxygen and report a lean mixture to the ECU, which will make your bike run pig rich. The end results will be that the bike will get bad gas mileage, make less power, sound like crap, and everyone will laugh at you.

F

Fred

the bike in the video looked like it ran damn good and sounded beautiful :rockon:
Regarding the sound, some people think that Fran Drescher has an attractive voice. So this is proof that what sounds good to one person is sheer screeching agony to another.

IMHO, that bike sounded like garbage, and you have no idea what fuel mileage he was getting, or how the bike compares to before when it was stock.

Anyway, that bike isn't your FZ6. It shows no sign of having an O2 sensor. It may even be carbed. So what works for that bike will not work for yours.

Give it a try and you'll find out, but don't cut up your headers to do it, or you'll wind up having to buy new ones.

Fred

S

shreveport1

im thinking about straight piping my exhaust with a nice tip on it ....i plan on cutting the stock cat off right at the manifold and welding a 3in diameter straight pipe in its place the same lenghth with a 70 degree bend on the end with a nice tip basically come out the same as the stock but what you guys think will it hurt anything i doubt it will but im curious i know it would be loud as **** but thats all i can think of doing
DO IT DUDE!!!!!:rockon::rockon::D

B

buccs40oz

why not give it a try. it's your bike hope you like it, if not you live and learn

BL6RNKY

Fred, obviously you dont own a 6R, the fz6r does not have an O2 sensor... and if it doesnt read the exhaust then it doesnt effect the ECU, however straight piping your bike might indeed hurt the valves, not sure, loss of power due to no back pressure maybe...

Spunky99

I just received a R6 header assembly I bought for $25.00 plus $15.00 shipping.
I'll be adding a shorty muffler and a JuiceBox or PCV.....Gonna be crazy.

CDN6R

I just received a R6 header assembly I bought for $25.00 plus $15.00 shipping.
I'll be adding a shorty muffler and a JuiceBox or PCV.....Gonna be crazy.
You lucky bugger!:eek: I have seen a few but ones I have seen in decent shape(E Bay) were $80-$95.. Did you get this one local or off Evil Bay?

Spunky99

You lucky bugger!:eek: I have seen a few but ones I have seen in decent shape(E Bay) were $80-$95.. Did you get this one local or off Evil Bay?
Evil Bay but the guy is 35 minutes away. Received in good shape, dirty and cleanable, NO dents or scratches. I'll start cleaning tonight. I drove the truck to work today to take it home...;)

So since I got a header for $40 bucks delivered, I went totally insane and bought a 2007 R6R throttle body complete. It was CHEAP.......shopped for a while to find a complete and clean one. $50 bucks delivered.....and local again via Evil Bay, bout 35 minutes away. It is complete including all the wiring and stuff. :D

If I can get this all hooked up and working, it'll be a cheap alternative to the TBR V.A.L.L.E. and JuiceBox.:iconbeer:

Lets see....problems I have to deal with...
intake connectors...do they fit the R6R TB
computer...oh $hit!
cables
wiring
intake connectors

It might be a real pain in the butt to do this..I don't know...I'm just wingin it at this point. But could you imagine being able to keep up with an R6R?:eek:

In the old days we used to change the 4 carbs on a honda 750 4 to a Mikuni single with a new manifold and some jet work. I have never messed with a TB tho.....we shall see.....:)

ayalasa

straight pipe is super loud i tried on my pipe way to loud it actually annoying i dont think you would be able to hear yourself think........ what i have done for know is cut the pipe but leave the stock cat on sound decent. only doing this while friend does a custom mount, we ordered only the 4-2 pipes and the muffler from a TB and are going to weld it on like that, he's and awesome fabricator so he's going to make it work.

CDN6R

Spunky: I really love where I live, rural,quiet town within 12 miles to the ocean,but used bike parts not easy to find. With you living in Calf you have much more access to venders/race track/events ETC. So I must say that in this way you are a lucky guy.;) I wish I could pick up a R6 header/slip on pipe cheap too.

CDN6R

straight pipe is super loud i tried on my pipe way to loud it actually annoying i dont think you would be able to hear yourself think........ what i have done for know is cut the pipe but leave the stock cat on sound decent. only doing this while friend does a custom mount, we ordered only the 4-2 pipes and the muffler from a TB and are going to weld it on like that, he's and awesome fabricator so he's going to make it work.
Please keep us posted how it turns out!

Low n loud

Straight pipe

I have basically straight pipe with little flow master baffle bike is putting out 8' more hp per dyno. Neighbors hate me lol sound is amazing

ptmxtwo

if you like it, go for it...

it seems to me everything on a modern Yamaha motorcycle beginning around 2004 or so is designed; and professionally designed for purpose and meaning. personally, i would not eliminate a stock system without knowing something about what is being eliminated... For example, what is an exhaust manifold in this case? Do you think your electronic control unit might miss its catalytic converter and then go blind regarding the amounts of air and fuel intake as well as the mixtures of the two. It appears that big box bolted underneath the bottom of the engine of a 2013 FZ6R (a 2009 FZ6R may be different) is the "muffler", yet I see folks removing the factory muffler Tip, and adding a slip-on muffler to a muffler. however. If you like the sound, go for it. everbody's got to do the Live and Learn.