sticky throttle after fitting new bars

Shaun_1990

Hey everybody, had abit of a nightmare today if I'm being honest & I'm hoping this is a really simple question before I go and break something or someone.... anyway here goes... hope everyone is sitting comfortably.

Decided to try my hand at fitting my own bars today (renthal braced bars) on my xj6n, left hand side went on great! all be to the grip moves but that just needs some grip glue and jobs a good one, right hand side was going well until the point of i've drilled holes for the little plastic lug to sit in & then notice that the bars had dropped a little. The control did not line up well... so I shouted a little & then re-drilled RESULT! new bars are on all thats left is to put the bar ends on oh yeah and test that everything is all fine & dandy.

by this point I'm all happy that it looks better (IMO) to realise that when I turn the bars to the right the throttle is just jamming open (which I can't see working to well on the road) looked at the one thing that has screwed me over today for about 10 - 20 minutes & I cannot see anyway to actually help it, the noe thing I did try was moving the throttle tube & controls closer the the centre which did seem to work however there is a huge gap from grip to bar end (6-7cm worth).

I did not grease up the bar underneath the throttle tube however it turns freely when the bar is straight so I would assume no issue??

can anyone shed any light or help in any way shape or form?

Shaun

Is there a way to adjust the throttle cable to actually make it a bit more slack or is this not possible??

bmw675

You probably just need to adjust the throttle cable longer to get the appropriate free play. That happens a lot when you change bars or clipons on bikes.

I can't remember how the 6r is setup, but there is the main adjustment on where it attaches to the throttle bodies. There might also be an adjuster on the throttle cable, that might be more readily available, as well.

leem00

Sport touring Member
Elite Member
Y

yellowfz

If the cable is binding it will cause a hang or rev situation.
Putting different bars on sometimes require rerouting the cables so that no binding goes on when turning right to left. :confused:

bmw675

If/when you adjust it (assuming it's not just binding because you said it was better when you moved the throttle tube in), set it to minimal slack when turned to the right full lock. Completely closed but still hardly no free play. Last thing you want is the bike to accelerate when you are doing a slow speed turn in a parking or somewhere.

You should have more slack when straight then, and extra turned to the left, but it is what it is.

Shaun_1990

A little update for everybody, it had snagged behind the ignition barrel after 5 minutes of tinkering it sits fine and works spot on, will get some pictures ASAP!

Y

yellowfz

A little update for everybody, it had snagged behind the ignition barrel after 5 minutes of tinkering it sits fine and works spot on, will get some pictures ASAP!
Yep, that happens, I had to remove the cable holder from mine to keep it from binding in that same spot.
Glad you found it.:)