Stepping up: What would it be?

MikeN02

I love Yamaha's too, have you considered the R6? Another popular bike, it's really close in numbers with the ZX6-R. Personally I like the R6 because I'm a yamaha fan, I really like their styling.

The ZX6-R's headlight just turns me away, it's too bubbly.

Heineken

Elite Member

owldaddy

I'd get the one that fits you best, ergonomics are the reason I bought the 6R. I wasn't even looking at Yamaha while looking for a mid weight bike. A post on a web site got me in to look at them, since it fit me best and the price was outstanding. I now have my second Yamaha. The first one was an RD400C, bought new in 1976. No loyalty here, in fact that bike blew up 200 miles out of warranty. No loyalty deserved.

Roaddawg

Although the FZ1 wouldn't really be considered a middle weight, but the FZ1 with the fairing kit is pretty damn sexy! You get the comfortable riding position with a good amount of power, but not R1 crazy power.

That's what I've got my eye on in the future if not the FJR.

ajcatx

I like this bike alot

2010 Honda CBR600RR

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
2010 Honda CBR600RR

+1 That is one sweet graphics scheme!! I love it! All the intricacies can only really be appreciated from up close.

ajcatx

cbr

Ya the funny thing is all the professional reviewers hate the graphics....i wish more bikes came with more interesting graphics like this.

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member
Ya the funny thing is all the professional reviewers hate the graphics....i wish more bikes came with more interesting graphics like this.
I imagine they would prefer a ton of race replicas to be trolling the streets? :rolleyes:

ry-mac75

if you've got the bucks...

Ducati mini-monster or the smaller Triumph Speed triple. Great bikes, great fit, lots of zip... just a bit more coin.

ksanbon

I love Yamaha's too, have you considered the R6?
I have, because I also like the look, but I'm more of a street/touring rider and the ergonomics of the r6 don't appeal to me. The Ninja fits me and it sounds like it's good for both street and track.

When the time is right, FZ1. I only wished one day I'll be able to afford one of BMW's GS line...
I like the FZ1 too, but want to go lighter.

I rode a friend's GS1200 and was really impressed w/ the comfort. It feels like a big dirt bike that goes around corners amazingly well. The only thing missing was the sport bike acceleration rush, something I love.

Although the FZ1 wouldn't really be considered a middle weight, but the FZ1 with the fairing kit is pretty damn sexy! You get the comfortable riding position with a good amount of power, but not R1 crazy power.
It doesn't have to be a middleweight. The FZ1 is definitely a step up!

Last edited:

DjOrchie

I'll be looking for another middleweight w/ more power and something a little sportier, but don't want to sacrifice too much comfort.

I love Yamaha's, but if I was in the market now, I'd probably go for the ZX-6R Ninja. It's a pretty big step, but it seems to be versatile and it fits.

Comparison Test: 2009 Middleweight Smackdown! - Sport Rider Magazine

I was looking at getting a 600rr bike when I decided to be more comfortable and get the FZ6R. I sat on all the 600rr's and found the Honda CBR600rr and the Suzuki GSXR600rr to be the most comfortable... for my height anyway, I am 5'9. I test rode the Yamaha R6 and just found it too uncomfortable, you're pretty much riding head first down the road. I found the others to be a little less strain on the hands and wrists. I plan on upgrading in a year or so as well :D

99vengeur

Administrator
Staff member

arkkornkid

Couldn't tell if you were looking for used or new. If you don't mind a used bike, I can personally atest to how great the Yamaha YZF600R is. Great power, fully adjustable suspension, semi-comfortable one piece seat design (no stock seat is great), 5 gallon tank.... all equals a good day-long ride, and I've done many. And it was on the lower price scale to begin with so you can pick them up cheap.... if you find one from 2000+, they're usually not ragged out because generally that kind of rider opted for the R6 and overlooked the 600R.

It's negatives: dated styling.... it's a 15 year old design, basically the R6 before the R6... the front end is really a love it or hate it thing.
4 carbs, means a little more maintenance issues to deal with.
top-heavy feel, at least for me but with your height it may not be an issue at all.
not much aftermarket, just the basics

ksanbon

Couldn't tell if you were looking for used or new.
Thanks, but I want the 09 Ninja.

I started this thread because I thought it would be fun for everyone to see what others were thinking and why.

Last edited:

Insure Gal

Because everybody's gotta dream!

joloy133

Our fz6r is a great all around bike. If I upgrade in the future it would be for reasons beyond the practical, more emotional issues. The key is to really know what you want and why, then do what you have to to get it if you can. With that said, I'm either getting a BMW or an italian bike. One is engineered close to perfection with uniqueness, the other .....well you know....it's Italian, pure emotion and sexy. KTM maybe because its not generic. Why do we ride?

I'm going to upgrade at the begining of next year and have already decided on the R6! The only bad thing people have to say about the R6 is that is the most uncomfortable out of all the 600cc class! The R6 looks the best in my opinion, and it is a Yamaha! That is all that really matters to me! The only other 600 I would buy is the GSXR!