Stability

brownwa

Push steering.

Have done the highways and bridges in high winds and was fine on the FZ6R. But you have to master push steering, especially with confidence around big vehicles. Practice on local roads with 55mph speed limits. Just move from one lane track to the other using push steering. Also gripping the bike with your knees and relaxing your grip/arms will naturally help you with push steering.

If you're doing highway commuting I think you should get a higher windshield. Also invest in a good tank bag instead of a back pack, reduces your wind profile from the side.

This may sound counterintuitive but you should practice slow u-turns and figure eights in a parking lot. This will help you master control of the bike and make dealing with windy highways seem easy. Just think like a scooter or dirt bike rider when doing slow u-turns on a 600cc versus a light 250cc. That means grip the tank with your knees, weight on the pegs and keep your body upright (as in counter-lean) while you lean the bike over. The more the bike leans the tighter it will turn, but you have to keep giving it gas. Keep it in second gear at slow speed (less jerky than first) and slip the clutch for finer control. Really practice this a lot and you will have way more confidence on the highway.

buzzbomb

Elite Member

xorbe

FZ6R is a breeze on the freeway compared to an old Ninja 250. The extra weight really helps I suspect. Just stay below 5-6K rpms until you've learned to ride for a while, in case you money shift the wrong way while learning. This bike while not a super sport, is plenty eager to get in trouble quickly, imho. Be careful!

J

JohnnyWatts

Oh, frak. I'll give it a day. Does anyone else want to tackle this before I do?

Brownwa, I'm sorry, but there are serious problems with your answer to this question.
Didn't see anything out of whack. It's what they taught me in the ABATE MSF course too.

NMdesertracer

For me passing diesels on a windy day is easier at 100mph then 75mph. My first day of riding in the wind with my fz6r I was passing a diesel at 75mph almost shi* my pants lol!! :eek: I froze up middle of passing the truck like wtf is going on here.. Then I pinned it... :eek:

buzzbomb

Elite Member

ksk operator 1

LOOK OUT FOR ALL DOWNED TREES AND POWERLINES!

Honestly. YOU dont need to worry about stability. now your surroundings. stay in the damn right lane for now if you dont know how to ride yet. push steering is essential in the line of championism. check your ego at the garage and make it home safe.

OH and dont speed!!!!!:zombie:

Emma

The first time I was hit by cross winds it did take me by surprise simply because I was going 55.

However, It didn't bother me at all. I just compensated naturally with my body weight, something I learned to do on my bicycle over the years of commuting on that for many years.

When a cross wind of 15 hits you broadside and your combined weight is only 200 lbs you will notice the difference.

Gusts were the biggest challenge on the bicycle. I did learn how to handle that. It's something you can't really teach someone. You just have to experience it and figure it out for yourself. You just sort of develop a feel for what the wind is doing and adjust what you are doing on the bike.

Now, I will give big kudo's to Yamaha because this bike is a dream when it comes to stability. Especially when you are comparing it to a Schwinn. Now, I will freely admit that I can not compare it to other machines. But I can say that it does have great stability, enough to impress me as a new motorcycle rider.