Sprocket wear

Bigj11

So I noticed a ticking coming from my sprocket area. My bike has 5k miles on it. I just bought it with 4K miles but I feel like the sprocket is not properly aligned with the chain. What do you guys think?

CF7E9C7D-3626-43F7-B9AC-ADA83A94E6B5.jpg5172D938-2952-4B9B-BB47-F74021526AD2.jpgDB6985BE-5A07-4B8A-A11C-4BBDCB1B52A1.jpg

MrFrzZ

Not a motorcycle mechanic, but I would check the alignment bolts on either side of the swingarm to make sure they're adjusted to the same spots. I hear a "clicking" noise as well on mine, and I routinely clean it, lube it, and had it adjusted at the shop. I only hear it if I'm at slow speed and listening for it, but its the sprocket picking up the chain. Bike shop said my chain and sprocket both looked good when I had them tighten it up.

FWIW my bike has almost 11k on it. I bought it with 1k miles. Only cleaned and lube the chain. Have not replaced sprocket or chain yet.

vcdstroyr

Not a motorcycle mechanic, but I would check the alignment bolts on either side of the swingarm to make sure they're adjusted to the same spots. I hear a "clicking" noise as well on mine, and I routinely clean it, lube it, and had it adjusted at the shop. I only hear it if I'm at slow speed and listening for it, but its the sprocket picking up the chain. Bike shop said my chain and sprocket both looked good when I had them tighten it up.

FWIW my bike has almost 11k on it. I bought it with 1k miles. Only cleaned and lube the chain. Have not replaced sprocket or chain yet.
I'm withi this guys. My chain sprocket have 23k miles on them (stock). I'm about to change them just because it's about to be time. Chain and sprocket sets are fairly cheap...(150+-) for the 2 sprockets, chain, and master link set. Change it out align it and get piece of mind.

Last edited:

BluePill

Buy an alignment tool. Lots of sources under 15 bucks (Amazon is good). Lifetime tool, works on any bike.

RnH

search "Sprocket Center". They have a chain, sprocket kit. Go 3 teeth down on the rear and it smooths the ride considerably, particularly for travel.. Using Dupont chain wax (walmartz) and rear sprocket is as clean as when installed. no sling. And a bonus is you don't have to shift out of 1st within 30 feet. Need to down gear a bit when riding twisty mountains.