shoei or arai?

CrazyCawi

if you had your choice which would you buy, and why?

Shoei RF1100 or X-12

OR

ARAI RXQ

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

bmw675

I like my 1100. But to each his own.
However I do believe the x-12 is more of a race design. It's lighter but also has more wind noise.

Rf1100 is quite a bit cheaper in price. I got my metallic black for 330 shipped back in the spring. Might be cheaper now.

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

MichaelInVenice

Lot of Class, Mostly Low
Elite Member

BoneJj

I'd buy whatever on fits my fat head.... lol.

I couldn't buy the last gen Shoei because it wasn't thin enough on the sides.

You shouldn't be worried about brand as much as you should be about the fitment you get.

RoadTrip

Yeah, they did change shapes / fit somewhat on the R-1100; my RF-1000 was perfect, as is my X-11 - but, now a medium RF-1100 is looser and small is too tight. I may have to look at Arai on my next purchase, but I hear those have fussy visors.

Last edited:

CrazyCawi

What about the visors make them fussy?

ajskillz13

What about the visors make them fussy?
They aren't quite quick release like most are going to. They're just a pain in the a$$.

However, in that comparison, I'd go Arai all day. Bought my wife the Signet Q and the fit and finish is simply the best. I love my Bell, but if Arai offered Transition shield tech, I'd switch.

Definitely try both on, though. Arai has a distinct, snug fit that you may or may not like. It is definitely a helmet I would love if racing.

Alex6

I'd buy whatever on fits my fat head.... lol.

I couldn't buy the last gen Shoei because it wasn't thin enough on the sides.

You shouldn't be worried about brand as much as you should be about the fitment you get.
This! ............

CrazyCawi

I'm not worried about brand. The rxq fits me super well and so did the shoei

MNGreg

waiting out winter
Elite Member

BoneJj

At the mc show the Shoei guy said that the rf1100 and Arai rxq are both for rounder wide oval heads (American standard). He said they don't have any true elongated ovals like the Signet Q.

The arai you can also buy bigger or smaller check and head liners just like most other brands. On the Arai though you can fine tune the cheeks as you can peel away small amounts if you are between cheek/ jaw sizes.

The RF visor can just be flipped up. The Arai locks down, so to open from full closed you have to get your thumb under a recess and kind of pull out and up after sliding the little lock tab over. It takes some getting used to, but it isnt too bad.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2.
That's my problem, I have a hard as hell time finding a helmet that fits my oval head. I was finally able to get into the Bell RS1, and even that one could be a little thinner in the width of the sides.

I want to get another helmet but I'm having a hard time finding something different. That and I know a new helmet is going to cost me no less than 300.... lol. probably closer to 4-500.

I tried out a few solutions though. I put just a little bit of craft foam in the helmet and then spend some time shaping it and that actually closed the helmet into my head nicely. I used my dremel to shape the edges and that worked really well. It's actually even a little more comfortable than it was stock. Only took 2 layers on the sides and it works a world of better but still I need to get a different helmet.

BKP

That's my problem, I have a hard as hell time finding a helmet that fits my oval head. I was finally able to get into the Bell RS1, and even that one could be a little thinner in the width of the sides.

I want to get another helmet but I'm having a hard time finding something different. That and I know a new helmet is going to cost me no less than 300.... lol. probably closer to 4-500.

I tried out a few solutions though. I put just a little bit of craft foam in the helmet and then spend some time shaping it and that actually closed the helmet into my head nicely. I used my dremel to shape the edges and that worked really well. It's actually even a little more comfortable than it was stock. Only took 2 layers on the sides and it works a world of better but still I need to get a different helmet.
Have you tried the Signet Q? It's definitely a race fit (very encompassing, not unlike the RS1), however, it's narrower and longer, if just a bit.
Oh, and the Signet Q (IMHO) runs a little large. I got it in a medium, where I usually wear large.

CrazyCawi

the rxq has removable by millimeter cheek pads.....

DragonBlu

Shoei, I have three of them(one retired). I like the way they fit my head and the quality. It's all about fit and what is comfortable to each rider though.

BoneJj

Have you tried the Signet Q? It's definitely a race fit (very encompassing, not unlike the RS1), however, it's narrower and longer, if just a bit.
Oh, and the Signet Q (IMHO) runs a little large. I got it in a medium, where I usually wear large.
I will have to check that out. I'm really wanting to get a new helmet as it is as I would like to just find something a little better fitment on my dome. I just watched the revzilla product review discussion and I like what they are saying the adjustability of it is really cool as well.
the rxq has removable by millimeter cheek pads.....
From what I was seeing on the video for the signet q they have the same kind of system as well. I like that, pretty cool.

The helmet has a hell of a price tag on it but my noggin is worth it IMO....