Screws

MikeN02

Screws... they suck!

Specifically I'm trying to install my K&N Air Filter but I can't get the screws off of the air box. I got 3 off by a little elbow grease but the others I can't seem to get off and it's starting to strip so I stopped.

I tried spraying some WD-40 on it and let it sit but it still didn't work. My next method is to buy a drill bit with a Philips head bit.

Any suggestions?

Roaddawg

Maybe protein shakes! :D:D I'm surprised they are that tight...especially since they are in plastic. Mine came off with no problem. I don't know what else to suggest...can't use heat....maybe silicon lube spray?!?

owldaddy

Might try some real penetrating oil, WD 40 is only ok at that job.

Detrich

Maybe it was installed with one of those power air tools like they have at the dealer? Am not sure if a regular power drill will be powerful enough...

I couldn't get the bolt off to replace my left slider, cuzwas on super duper tight. And after nearly ratcheting my arm off I finally gave up and just rode over to the dealer... They were super nice & used their tool rto eplace it for me on the spot. They said that when it goes on with the tool u pretty much need the tool to remove it? Go figure... @_@

redwing-2001

Maybe it was installed with one of those power air tools like they have at the dealer? Am not sure if a regular power drill will be powerful enough...

I couldn't get the bolt off to replace my left slider, cuzwas on super duper tight. And after nearly ratcheting my arm off I finally gave up and just rode over to the dealer... They were super nice & used their tool rto eplace it for me on the spot. They said that when it goes on with the tool u pretty much need the tool to remove it? Go figure... @_@
wow, what kind of tool, specifically were they using?

Detrich

It's basically the air pressure wrenches they use to put on & take off lug nuts I guess?

FitZ6R

First, be sure you're using the right size bit. I haven't had my air filter out, but based on my previous bike I think the screws may well be #3 Philips head rather than the usual #2.

Second, if you're going to use a power tool, a pneumatic wrench is overkill for small screws, but a rechargeable impact driver (*not* the same as a hammer drill) is perfect. Home Depot has a decent, cheap Ryobi driver.

redwing-2001

First, be sure you're using the right size bit. I haven't had my air filter out, but based on my previous bike I think the screws may well be #3 Philips head rather than the usual #2.

Second, if you're going to use a power tool, a pneumatic wrench is overkill for small screws, but a rechargeable impact driver (*not* the same as a hammer drill) is perfect. Home Depot has a decent, cheap Ryobi driver.
I think you are absolutely correct. Too much torque - easy to strip the phillips head. Ratchet with the proper bit would probably be better.

Roaddawg

You wouldn't want to use an air rachet with that plastic box...it would crack it way too easy.

Detrich

i c... i was just using my scenario as an example to describe how tight some of the bolts are. i know each component's screws & bolts (airbox, engine bolt etc.) are still different.

scratch what i said then... :)

stevet

First spray the screws with a little WD40. Make sure the screw driver bit doesn't have any wear and the tips look new. Take the tip and whack it into the screw lightly with a hammer. Apply pressure into the screw and turn it. It should come out. Hand impact drivers ie. "]http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM209384686P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType= a[/URL] are a great tool if you like to do your own bike work. I used mine all the time when I was a motorcycle and car mechanic.
Steve

stuna

the first BIG PROBLEM IS there not Phillips screws :confused:
there JIS yes look it up there japans version and there different
jis
second valve grinding compound from the auto parts store
on the screwdriver will give it bite :D