Screwed Up My Front Brakes, Please Help

Hi Everyone,

So I did something really stupid yesterday. I had a new front tire mounted and when I went to reinstall the wheel (my first time doing this) I somehow managed to incorrectly install the left brake caliper. I put it on in such a way that both brake pads were pushed together and the rotor was sitting between the outside of one of the brake pads and the frame or housing of the caliper. Stupid and careless I know!

Before I realized my error, I pulled on the front brake lever and at first it was very soft but after pumping it a few times it built pressure and felt normal.

Now, I did ride a bit (just a bit in the parking lot) before I realized something was very wrong. The first time I applied the front brake, of course it made a grinding noise and felt weak so I immediately stopped and investigated.

I pushed it back to my garage, removed the caliper and installed it correctly. Now I have a very soft lever and the brakes barely engage. Now you're thinking I just need to bleed it. Well, I tried it. I attempted to bleed both calipers. Everything looked OK. I was getting fluid to flow no problem and there were no visible air bubbles in the tubes. I tried a few times on both sides. Pushed out a substantial amount of fluid (while not allowing the reservoir to empty) and at no point did I observe any air bubbles.

I snugged up the bleeder nipple thingies, reinstalled the reservoir cover ensuring that the diaphragm was fully seated and I still have a very soft lever. I'm able to pull it all the way to the grip.

Looking at the pads as I pull and release the lever, I can see them moving on both sides. But again, still the soft lever. Any ideas what else could be wrong? I'm quite confident it's not a matter of air in the lines. The reservoir is topped up with the correct fluid (DOT 4, per the manual).

Any ideas? Did I damage the caliper by applying the brakes with it incorrectly installed? I don't where to go from here. May just have to put my tail between my legs and have it towed to the shop and explain what I did.

Such a bummer because it's a gorgeous weekend here in Buffalo, probably one of the last we'll have for the year. Sorry so long and thanks in advance!

pkoko

Did you push the brake pistons back? It looks to me like an over extended piston.

Bert-Aus

Your calliper's are in need of some TLC, take it to the shop
-don't mess with your front brakes unless you know what you are doing:Slap:

Blue-Sun

Elite Member

NMdesertracer

How far did you brake when it was messed up? If it was like a couple feet probably not to much damage. If i bleeded my brakes with the wheel off i usually glue two paint stir sticks together and put them between the pads. Then use a one way valve to bleed the brakes.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member
Here is my two cents...

Before I'd take it to a shop, I'd try to replace the caliper(s).

I was looking on ebay and it appears you can get a set of calipers for $50+/- and they go up from there.

You sound mechanically inclined and it sounds like you know how to bleed the brakes, so I might start by replacing the calipers and re-bleed the whole front system; then you are back a "point zero" before the error.

I would also double check the front disc, making sure it is not scored or bent from the mishap. I doubt it is, but I'd double check it while I'm down there working.

Don't be too hard on yourself, life is about learning lessons. I guarantee you will never make that mistake again, and you build up confidence that you can correct any future errors you make.

Again, just my opinion... Good luck with the bike.
Thanks everyone! This might be a good option if I can get new calipers for that little. Certainly cheaper than a shop.

"How far did you brake when it was messed up? If it was like a couple feet probably not to much damage. If i bleeded my brakes with the wheel off i usually glue two paint stir sticks together and put them between the pads. Then use a one way valve to bleed the brakes."

Didn't brake far at all, just a single application at parking lot speed. I think the rotor is okay. Good idea on the stir sticks!

I'm thinking that when I pumped the brakes with the caliper installed wrong is when the damage occurred.

I don't see any reason the master cylinder would have been damaged and I can't see any leaks in the lines or anywhere else.

Seems that just ordering a new set of calipers is the way to go. Then if I can't get them working right it will be time for a professional.

If you pumped up the brakes, with the pads in the wrong place you may have bent the rotor. Unbolt the caliper and spin the wheel to see if there is a visual movement in the left rotor.
A bent rotor will keep the pistons out enough that you need to pump the brakes.
I will definitely carefully inspect the rotors but I think they're OK.

I would look for fluid leak if you're sure no air in the lines.
Don't feel bad... just get it fixed before riding... I messed up my rear brake by not getting the slot locked in... broke the break line and same thing, soft lever, fluid just oozing out where the line broke
Thanks, that makes me feel better :) I can't see any fluid leaking anywhere so I think it is something wrong in the caliper.

And to think, this whole friggin' ordeal started with running over 1 stupid nail which caused a flat rear tire. I decided to replace the front as well so that I'd have a matched set. Wish I had just left the front alone, had plenty of life left :mad:

Alright, so if anyone's still following, all is well again :) I bought a set of calipers from ebay that (according to the seller) only had about 1700 miles on them. Installed them and bled them. Bleeding took a good while since the fluid had been completely drained, but with some patience I finally had a good firm brake lever.

Took a low speed test ride around the parking lot of my apartment complex while applying progressively heavier braking and all is well! Need to do some more testing before I'll truly feel confident but it's raining like crazy now so it will have to wait.

This whole thing was a huge P.I.T.A. but now I'm quite well versed in brake installation and bleeding now. So I guess it was a worth while learning experience :confused: I certainly won't make that moronic mistake again!

Thanks everyone for helping!:rockon:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member
Alright, so if anyone's still following, all is well again :) I bought a set of calipers from ebay that (according to the seller) only had about 1700 miles on them. Installed them and bled them. Bleeding took a good while since the fluid had been completely drained, but with some patience I finally had a good firm brake lever.

Took a low speed test ride around the parking lot of my apartment complex while applying progressively heavier braking and all is well! Need to do some more testing before I'll truly feel confident but it's raining like crazy now so it will have to wait.

This whole thing was a huge P.I.T.A. but now I'm quite well versed in brake installation and bleeding now. So I guess it was a worth while learning experience :confused: I certainly won't make that moronic mistake again!

Thanks everyone for helping!:rockon:
Just make sure to try this test. Get the front tire airborne(lift or jack up) and using your hand, spin the wheel as fast as possible then listen as it slows down. Make sure its not unnecessarily dragging. The pads should touch the rotor a bit but should be able to spin for a small bit. Also listen for thumps or for sounds that arent a consistent tiny grind from the pads. Then try again but apply the brakes mid-spin and listen for anything but smooth pads. :) Hope that helps a bit.

Bert-Aus

... How is that the OP's incorrect installment of the brakes damaged the calipers?
He inserted the brake disc beyween the caliper & pads on one side when putting front wheel back on. Went for a ride & used the front brakes.
IMO This action caused the brake disc to grind down the caliper push rods (making them shorter & possibly deflecting them in their glide mount)

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

Help me out here: New calipers fixed it? I'm going to be honest, I was wracking my brain for an answer. I just didn't have one.

I could see where maybe the pins were damaged, but that would be obvious. How is that the OP's incorrect installment of the brakes damaged the calipers?
Not sure how the damage occurred, doesn't seem like it would have done much but I sure couldn't get them to work after the incident.

Yes, new calipers fixed it.

Just make sure to try this test. Get the front tire airborne(lift or jack up) and using your hand, spin the wheel as fast as possible then listen as it slows down. Make sure its not unnecessarily dragging. The pads should touch the rotor a bit but should be able to spin for a small bit. Also listen for thumps or for sounds that arent a consistent tiny grind from the pads. Then try again but apply the brakes mid-spin and listen for anything but smooth pads. :) Hope that helps a bit.
Once the new calipers were installed and I bled the brakes, all worked fine. The pads do drag slightly on the rotor which is normal but I can spin the wheel freely.

Finally got the chance to go for a test ride after I was confident all was well and they work great now. Just took it real easy in the parking lot at first and gradually got more aggressive on the brakes, no problems!

He inserted the brake disc beyween the caliper & pads on one side when putting front wheel back on. Went for a ride & used the front brakes.
IMO This action caused the brake disc to grind down the caliper push rods (making them shorter & possibly deflecting them in their glide mount)

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
I suppose this is possible but I only did one brief and gentle brake application at low speed, couldn't have ground down anything too much.

I mentioned that the lever was very soft at first (before I realized my screw up) and pumping it a few times firmed it back up. Maybe doing this blew a seal or something? I can work on the brakes fine as a system but I don't know how the calipers themselves function internally.

I think I'm going to take the old ones apart and study exactly how they work. Hopefully identify the real problem too. The replacements, purchased on ebay only set me back about $110 with shipping so all in all I didn't make out too badly.

I'm a pro at bleeding brakes now too! Lessons learned...