School me on Schools.... Thoughts?

JBAX

Criteria:
Must be based in Northeast USA.
Want at least some individual analysis/instruction
Would prefer to rent/ride their bike
Like the idea of doing a 1 day course in spring, then another more advanced/intensive 1 or 2 day course later in summer
Goal is to learn best technique/correct mistakes and overall, become a better rider (and yes, to be allowed to safely rip around a track at the pace I feel comfortable with)

Options are:-

Penguin Racing School at Thompson, CT Speedway (and/or) Loudon, NH
1) 1 Track Day Experience or 1 day Basic License Course
2) 2 day School

California Superbike School at NJMP, Milville, NJ
1) 1 day course Level 1? (for each day you spend at CSS, do you get certitifed to be at the next level?)
2) 2 day camp (what level are you after this?)

New York Safety Track
-Can't find anything posted about Moto Schools?

Anyone have experience with any of these and what was best value. I do not mind spending some time and $$ to get the most out of a course. Overall goal is not necessarily a track license, but I wouldn't mind if it is a byprodut of spending the time and $$ on courses. In case I fall in love with it (not that my life allows the extra time to do that more than a couple times a year)

Part of me says, take a small step and do the Penguin 1 day or CSS Level 1 (1 day, I assume). And see what I think about it before ponying up $$$ for a 2 day camp.

Alright, edumacate me please.

Appreciate your help.

JBAX

Thanks Alex6.

I had searched the forum, and also looked up others on my own. I had forgotten about having seen Tony's Track days.

End of thread//.... seriously?

If all schools are created equal and no one wants to share, perhaps leave that up to them to decide. OR am I missing the sarcastic font?

Bert-Aus

Most (open) track days provide the option for some training in the beginner class. Find your local track and speak to the organisation that runs it.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2

adamo3957

Most (open) track days provide the option for some training in the beginner class. Find your local track and speak to the organisation that runs it.

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk 2
Basically what Bert said here... (From your criteria you listed).

Any beginner level track day will normally include tuition, it's not 1 on 1 tuition, but it allows for you to as the instructor to spend a bit of time with you and you are in control of your learning.

Day 1 on a track must never be about only learning because then you will take those lessons and practice them on the road. Take your first track day to be a mixture of experience learning from others, and getting comfortable with the track. Learn it go as fast as you feel comfortable with no focus on the overall speed.

Then next time you go to a track you can choose to aim for an instruction based day, or a effective free practice for you to practice what you know.

Also the group 1/2/3 progression must happen at your own learning rate.

Average lap Times of my local track

Group 1 - 85+ seconds
Group 2 - 70 seconds
Group 3 - 64 seconds
Group 4 - 62s (race license testing)
Group 5 - 60s (legitimate racers)
(Track records are around 58s)

The huge gap between group 1 and 2 is mostly from being overwhelmed at first. And you can see that each levelevel of progression isn't from one day courses otherwise we'd all be as fast as Marquez in a month...

Pick any, have fun more than anything, and if you thought bikes were addictive, the track is worse ;)

P.s. California superbike school is somewhere I'd like to go :)

JBAX

Thanks for your thoughts.

Gonna sign up for first timers track day in beginning May, 2015 with Tony's Track Days at Thompson, CT. Then, if I like it, and I am pretty sure I WILL... I'll maybe do a 2 day session later in the season (if they are not sold out).

Will be nice to have something on the Calendar other than Triathlon(s) for 2015.

Last edited:

csmcmillion

I did CSS at VIR last year. Two-day camp (Levels 1&2) on the 1000RR. Very intense, to the point of mental and physical exhaustion. CSS is incredibly professional.