Regular Unleaded vs Premium Unleaded?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenixgoon

Premium & Ethanol free, always!
But that's just me.:noworries:
i'd kill to get ethanol free. it's prettymuch impossible now though.

i just hope the US does not move to E15...as most cars/bikes will not be able to handle it. say goodbye to your fuel system and gaskets :(

dndfindley

Premium does nothing for an engine not designed to run on it...

Unless your engine calls for premium or your engine is "pre-igniting" then you do not need it and it will do nothing for you. It may cause you more issue than any help. It takes more to ignite premium rather than regular. The AKI (anti knock index) is what the 87-89-91 or 93 numbers are. The higher the number (premium) the hotter it is needed to ignite the fuel. So very cold days it can be hard to ignite premium if your engine is not designed to run off of it.

Pre-ignition is when the gas in the cylinder is igniting before the spark plug was meant to ignite it. This counteracts the stroke of the pistons and is causing the engine to work against itself.

So unless you have pre-ignition knocking, or your manual calls specifically for premium, you are doing absolutely nothing for the bike. Just emptying your wallet and sending more unnecessary profits to the oil companies.
You said it exactly. There is absolutely NOTHING to gain from using premium fuel in a car, truck or motorcycle, that calls for regular gasoline. Unless their vehicle has been modified anyone who says they notice a difference is only imagining it. The FZ6R calls for regular - why pay a lot more for gas that is doing nothing to improve your performance. The wife's Yamaha T-Max on the other hand calls for premium fuel. It was designed that way and Yamaha says use it so we do. David

raybob

If your engine calls for 87 octane, that is what you should buy.

a) The "regular" tanks are used far more often, and have a far greater chance of containing fresh gas (less water in the tank).

b) Ethanol has a higher natural octane rating than gasoline, thus it makes a relatively cheap octane booster.

c) Gasoline has a greater energy density that ethanol. Thus, Ethanol-free gasoline has a greater energy density than the ethanol blends (E10).

Thus, by buying premium (91 or 93 octane), you are buying something with a reduced energy density (less energy in a given volume) that requires a higher temperature (compression) to ignite. A higher octane rating can be accomplished with more ethanol. It can be accomplished by diluting the gasoline with water. Duh.

Higher octane = higher price.
Higher octane = reduced energy density.
Greater ethanol percentage = reduced energy.

But since premium has a higher price and margin, the gas companies have spent decades (all of my 55 years, for sure) convincing the gullible that "premium" is better than "regular", that by buying "premium" you are more like a Vanderbilt than that dumb loser buying "regular." That is WHY the higher octane fuel is called "premium." Don't fall for it.

For a neat chart of this:

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ethanol-free, 87 octane is the best for our bikes.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Bob

sammy56

You said it exactly. There is absolutely NOTHING to gain from using premium fuel in a car, truck or motorcycle, that calls for regular gasoline. Unless their vehicle has been modified anyone who says they notice a difference is only imagining it. The FZ6R calls for regular - why pay a lot more for gas that is doing nothing to improve your performance. The wife's Yamaha T-Max on the other hand calls for premium fuel. It was designed that way and Yamaha says use it so we do. David
Why I even bother chiming in is beyond me, but I guess I just can't help myself sometimes.....and in the interest of keeping everyone honest. Here is the direct quote from the manual so feel free to use premium and you may actually be feeling a difference unless "findley" has ridden your bike in which case he clearly knows best:
"Your Yamaha engine has been designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number of 86 or higher, or a research octane number of 91 or higher. If knocking (or pinging) occurs, use a gasoline of a different brand or premium unleaded fuel. Use of unleaded fuel will extend spark plug life and reduce maintenance costs."

raybob

Consider my use of 87 in the prior post to be inaccurate. 86 it is! 87 is the lowest available around here, although I bought 86 in New Mexico last week. Last time I bought anything higher than regular (86/87 pump octane, (r+m)/2) was for my wife's Miata in the mid-90s (cause I'd added a supercharger to it).

Thanks, Sammy.

Bob

JSP

Super Moderator
Why I even bother chiming in is beyond me, but I guess I just can't help myself sometimes.....and in the interest of keeping everyone honest. Here is the direct quote from the manual so feel free to use premium and you may actually be feeling a difference unless "findley" has ridden your bike in which case he clearly knows best:
"Your Yamaha engine has been designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number of 86 or higher, or a research octane number of 91 or higher. If knocking (or pinging) occurs, use a gasoline of a different brand or premium unleaded fuel. Use of unleaded fuel will extend spark plug life and reduce maintenance costs."
Like I said, unless you experience pre-detonation/pinging there is no need to use premium and is just a waste of money... Higher octane does not mean better performance. Why people think higher octane gas is means better performance is beyond me. It is simply a rating of octane/combustion. I guess the word "Premium" makes people think its better... Oil/gas companies LOOOOOOVE you! Their choice of marketing works apparently.

Last edited:

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

roadrat

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Nick89

The main difference between 87, 89, and 91 Is stability. 91 will not give you anymore power over 87 unless your engine has a high compression ratio. Using 87 octane in a high compression engine can cause the fuel to pre-detonate before the spark plug goes off causing loss of power and possible engine damage. 87 is less stable than 91 and that is why it can pre-detonate. Because 91 is more stable it is commonly used in high compression ratio engines. The Engine in our FZ6R's has a fairly high compression ratio and that is why premium fuel is recommended.

FlyZ6R

The main difference between 87, 89, and 91 Is stability. 91 will not give you anymore power over 87 unless your engine has a high compression ratio. Using 87 octane in a high compression engine can cause the fuel to pre-detonate before the spark plug goes off causing loss of power and possible engine damage. 87 is less stable than 91 and that is why it can pre-detonate. Because 91 is more stable it is commonly used in high compression ratio engines. The Engine in our FZ6R's has a fairly high compression ratio and that is why premium fuel is recommended.
"Stability" isn't the word I would use. The main difference between them is the FLASH POINT. That is the temperature where combustion occurs.

In a way you are correct; if the fuel flash point is too low for a particular engine, it will detonate pre-ignition and bad things happen. In this case, yes, lower octane fuel is less "stable" in that engine. If the engine was designed to operate on 87 octane (as the FZ6R engine is I read nothing in the manual that says premium is recommended) then the 87 octane is no less "stable" than 91 in that engine barring extreme circumstances such as extremely high temps. In that case, you have multiple things to consider.

Compression is a big part of the equation, since temperature increases with pressure, but not the only one. The engine was "designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number...of 86 or higher". Directly from the owners manual. It goes on to say if knocking or pinging occurs use a different brand or premium.

Last edited:

JSP

Super Moderator
"Stability" isn't the word I would use. The main difference between them is the FLASH POINT. That is the temperature where combustion occurs.

In a way you are correct; if the fuel flash point is too low for a particular engine, it will detonate pre-ignition and bad things happen. In this case, yes, lower octane fuel is less "stable" in that engine. If the engine was designed to operate on 87 octane (as the FZ6R engine is I read nothing in the manual that says premium is recommended) then the 87 octane is no less "stable" than 91 in that engine barring extreme circumstances such as extremely high temps. In that case, you have multiple things to consider.

Compression is a big part of the equation, since temperature increases with pressure, but not the only one. The engine was "designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number...of 86 or higher". Directly from the owners manual. It goes on to say if knocking or pinging occurs use a different brand or premium.

Thank you... I don't understand why this is so hard for people to comprehend...

:banghead:

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

sbhoopsfan

There is another thread about this..

Anyways, I use premium. It probably helps to say where you're from, I am from NJ. This was dealer recommended.
From Jersey too, use premium as well.

Rawknrohl

I use premium fuel always, especially when your running e-10, star-tron enzyme fuel additive has worked well for me, it's what my dealer recommends and I have had good luck with it. In my opinion less than a dollar difference between regular and premium is well worth it for a full tank of higher quality fuel but I'm kind of OCD about my bike. Note: I use the star-tron additive a couple times each year to clean things out, I do not use it with every fill-up because running additives constantly through an engine makes me nervous.

JSP

Super Moderator
I use premium fuel always, especially when your running e-10, star-tron enzyme fuel additive has worked well for me, it's what my dealer recommends and I have had good luck with it. In my opinion less than a dollar difference between regular and premium is well worth it for a full tank of higher quality fuel but I'm kind of OCD about my bike. Note: I use the star-tron additive a couple times each year to clean things out, I do not use it with every fill-up because running additives constantly through an engine makes me nervous.
How is it higher quality fuel? Please explain

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Ah screw it. I'm staying with 87 :D. If it's designed for it, I don't care what the other equations are. Black and white.. It can handle it fine.:D

peterstoker

what is the highest octane you have over there in the US? by the sounds of it its only 91, here in oz thats our regular and our premium is 98 and they even sell 101 in a few places but thats very rare!

Status
Not open for further replies.