Rear suspension chart

Sicksix

Hello all. About a year or so ago, I was surfing the internet to find what suspension setting I should put my fz6r at, and I had come across a chart which showed rider weight and the appropriate setting eg. 200lbs+ = setting #7, and so forth. I have now scoured the internet to find this chart again twice, now being the third....to no avail. Anyone here have a copy? regards!

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

sti491

Coincidently I am about to adjust my rear shock todaY, so was wondering about this.... What am I missing on this site: I see where you can put in your weight to determine what to buy from them, but not our stock spring settings 1-7 per weight.

I am 213lbs without riding gear, and gear is heavy, plus I have a tail pack with a few things in it, so maybe my "riding weight" is closer to 223???

I was going to go from rear shock 3 to 5 today to see how it feels. Any advice appreciated.

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Yamaha/FZ6R/2009-17

FZ6R spring is very soft. I'm much lighter than you and used to preload it all the way.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

MrFrzZ

I'm a fatty... I've had mine cranked to 7 almost as long as I've been riding it. It almost feels like its getting softer though only 10k miles later. I've not done anything with the front forks and probably won't until I get the the front and rear springs swapped with RT springs and emulators. Only changing to a heavier fluid makes it stiffer, but affects traction since the rebound wont be fast enough - This per mike @ Racetech. I know these guys are in it to make money, but they've also got a reputation to keep and riders' safety in mind when giving advice to potential customers.

I agree with Marthy - Suspension would be the first to get swapped out. Having the right suspension makes the bike safer all around.

sti491

Thanks. I don't plan on tracking it, and would prefer a little more comfy over very stiff and small handling improvement for street riding. It just seems a little bouncy in the rear hitting the right kind of bumps set at 3.

Crank it all the way. Plenty of good video on the Tube on How to set your sag. Between free sag and rider sag you can eyeball very closely if your spring rates are too soft or too hard. I never personally bother to change anything on the 6R since the bike doesn't have too much power, the plush suspension suite it just fine.

Full preload on the rear and down about 10mm on the TTree (fork) with 20W oil (15W if it is a bit bumpy in your area) was a decent setup. If I was going to buy a brand new 6R today I'll take care of the suspension first.

MrFrzZ

Thanks. I don't plan on tracking it, and would prefer a little more comfy over very stiff and small handling improvement for street riding. It just seems a little bouncy in the rear hitting the right kind of bumps set at 3.
Even if you dont track it, having the bike set up for your weight will maximize its traction on the road making it more responsive and controllable, and i would maybe go as far as to say "predictable" once the "new" handling characteristics are learned. Now - how that equates to comfort, I cannot say, but I will mention that I thought I had read a comment on a sportbike forum a long time ago that the most comfortable seat for YOUR backside would almost look like what a sand imprint would look like if you sat bare-bottom in the sand. How true that is, I cannot say, but I know that motorcycle manufacturers (sportbike models at least) make sure that seat is comfy for the 2 minutes you sit on it at the dealership, and they're not overly concerned with how its gonna feel after 2 hours perched on it. Once again - This is for sportbikes. And our bike is an in betweener, in my opinion.

sti491

Thx. I think I posted on the seat mod I am doing in a couple weeks with an upholstery friend that has done good work for me in the past.

The FZ6R seat, despite looking uncomfortable as hell, is actually pretty good for me for most of my riding. My son and I are planning a couple western NC mountain rides this summer, and I joined the Moose Riders that do some longer jaunts. When I did our 200 mile day last week. I was good for most of it. Later in the day, and for the next 3 days I was sore though.

Since with my riding position (cruising) my knees are level or a little higher than my butt, the sharp & sparsely padded front part of the seat that turns down at an angle doesn't contact much, it's just thin there. When stopped with my leg(s) down it does. That's where I was a bit tender after the ride. My butt is big enough I guess, that the rear portion where I think more weight is, wasn't so bad.

I don't think Brian at Port City Upholstery will want my bare butt anywhere near his shop! What you describe though, is what a new huge Indian Touring bike seat (tooled brown leather!) looked like that I saw at Bike Night at a local eatery recently. Wouldn't fit on the Fizzer though!

I'll just try a bit of added memory seat foam and bumping up my rear pre-load from 3 to 5, at first. When my son comes over next, we'll measure the sag at that setting. From what I have read, 30mm rear sag is a good place to start for the street. After I rebuild my 34 year old Honda mower carburetor this morning, I'm going to change the rear setting and go for a ride if it's not raining.

Even if you dont track it, having the bike set up for your weight will maximize its traction on the road making it more responsive and controllable, and i would maybe go as far as to say "predictable" once the "new" handling characteristics are learned. Now - how that equates to comfort, I cannot say, but I will mention that I thought I had read a comment on a sportbike forum a long time ago that the most comfortable seat for YOUR backside would almost look like what a sand imprint would look like if you sat bare-bottom in the sand. How true that is, I cannot say, but I know that motorcycle manufacturers (sportbike models at least) make sure that seat is comfy for the 2 minutes you sit on it at the dealership, and they're not overly concerned with how its gonna feel after 2 hours perched on it. Once again - This is for sportbikes. And our bike is an in betweener, in my opinion.

Last edited:

sti491

Well, I took a step and move it to 5 from 3. Took a 45 min country ride. Waaaaay better. No more wallowing, not bouncy over bumps or dips at speed. Handles better. Still comfy, other than the seat :)