Ravens on the Track?

D52

So there’s a 70% chance I’ll be attending my first track day in the near future and wanted to get a couple opinions on my tires. I’m currently running Shinko 009 Ravens with 2500 +/- miles on them. Most of my riding is commuting, which is why I chose them, and I am aware they are not designed for the track. Can I get away with them this one time or am I in for a miserable experience? I don’t want to drop money on new tires that don’t really match the majority of my riding, plus I figure I’ll have plenty of other things to concern with myself with on the track and I don’t want to add getting accustomed to new tires to the list. (At least I’m already familiar with how the Ravens feel.)

I also ordered new brake pads as I’m still on the stock ones after nearly 8000 miles. They have a bit of life left, but not an amount I feel is sufficient for the track. I’m starting to read thru some of the track info on here, but if anyone has any quick pointers or words of advice, I’m all for it.

Thanks! :)

FastFreddy

Warm up the tyres and go at your own pace and within your own zone of what's a comfortable speed for you. New tyres are always best for the track, due to the optimal profile and fresh rubber. Life's too short for commuting tyres in my opinion, but I'm getting on in years now. I'd rather change tyres more frequently and enjoy the additional safety of the additional grip and then you can grind pegs too.

Chucker

My first trackday on the FZ6R was with the stock tires. While they did get a little greasy in the afternoon, that was only when I was really pushing it. They were very controllable, but did start to melt. If this is your first trackday, you'll be fine. Just be sure to warm them up for a lap at the beginning of each session.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

D52

Thanks for the responses, everyone! One of the people I'm going with (who has done dozens of track days) pretty much said the same thing so I'm keeping the tires and changing the pads. If this ends up being something I enjoy and want to do more often, then I will more closely look at tire options. (Or new bike options :D)