Quieter helmet?

codys21

Well I took my first decent length ride today and was going 80-85 mph most of the time (traffic was cruising) and when I stopped and took my helmet off after about an hour and a half, my ears were ringing for an extended period of time because the wind noise was crazy loud inside my helmet. Does anybody else become nearly deafened when riding and are there any helmets that keep the wind noise down to a tolerable level. I wear a full-face helmet btw, and that won't be changing.

Thanks,
Cody

gonnacrash

What helmet do you have now?

Some will say ear plugs, but I think it's a bad idea. I wear a scorpin, and wind noise is not bad.

Now I also ride a ninja 500, so the windshield may make a difference

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
Last edited:

dIGITAL dISCIPLE

I'm in love with the Shoei GT Air. Plenty of amazing ventilation when needed or you can close em up (or a few of them) and this thing is very quiet. The build quality is top notch and with the slide down visor (small lever button on the side) it pretty much has everything I was looking for. Yes, it's not cheap, but I read a wise quote that said "a $100 helmet is equal to a $100 brain". I didn't mind spending the extra for my head and how great of a helmet it is.

Just a thought about the one I have. I was in your situation - looking for something quiet, durable, tight fitting and could have great airflow when needed. This is where my research led me and I couldn't be happier.

I'm in love with the Shoei GT Air. Plenty of amazing ventilation when needed or you can close em up (or a few of them) and this thing is very quiet. The build quality is top notch and with the slide down visor (small lever button on the side) it pretty much has everything I was looking for. Yes, it's not cheap, but I read a wise quote that said "a $100 helmet is equal to a $100 brain". I didn't mind spending the extra for my head and how great of a helmet it is.

Just a thought about the one I have. I was in your situation - looking for something quiet, durable, tight fitting and could have great airflow when needed. This is where my research led me and I couldn't be happier.
2nd vote for the GT Air. Expensive but I don't regret it. Even still, I find the wind noise too much. I can't even ride without ear plugs and I don't think they're hazardous, can still hear important stuff fine. You just have to get used to them a little.

You do not want tinnitus when you're older! I know some older dudes who have it and it's misery.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Superzoom

Earplugs are almost ALWAYS a good idea. Permanent hearing loss is horrible, and tinnitus is as awful as BlastOffMike says.

I found a great compromise for hearing protection.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Plugs-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1435188087&sr=8-7&keywords=earplugs"]http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ETY-Plugs-Protection-Earplugs/dp/B0044DEESS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1435188087&sr=8-7&keywords=earplugs[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/DownBeats-Reusable-Fidelity-Hearing-Protection/dp/B00A3Z44R2/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1435188294&sr=8-19&keywords=earplugs"]http://www.amazon.com/DownBeats-Reusable-Fidelity-Hearing-Protection/dp/B00A3Z44R2/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1435188294&sr=8-19&keywords=earplugs[/ame]

Either of these are great for reducing wind noise just enough to protect your hearing and not be unpleasant. I have the DownBeats, and they work great. You can still hear everything, just toned down slightly.

Wind noise will vary from person to person, even with the same helmet. Variables such as your bike, clothing, height, head shape all affect noise, and what is quiet for one person might not be quiet for another. Earplugs, on the other hand, always work.

Billsbet0

A German company named sheubert or something close makes a helmet billed as the quietest on the market - for $800. Almost got it then read it did not have much ventilation. Riding in SoCal during the summer that was not an option. Wear earplugs, don't risk hearing damage, it's not just an old guy issue. Try several versions of ear plugs to see what works for you. I am currently using the gel that forms to your ear to make a custom ear protection, absolutely love them. So much so I bought a second kit to make a second pair. I forget the name, got it on Amazon. Very comfortable and no ringing in my ears or any discomfort when getting if the bike. I Commute on my bike an hour each way, 5 days a week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

blkbrd

Elite Member
Last edited:
^^^^This^^^^
I rarely ride without earplugs.

The stock windscreen on the 6R is probably blasting air right in the face also. I think there's less wind in my face on my new FZ-09 than the 6R! LOL!
Yes! Seems brilliantly designed to blast turbulent air right up the chin bar. Someone on here tried with no windscreen at all and found it to be an improvement. A touring windscreen such as the one from Puig (which I have) can also help significantly.

codys21

What helmet do you have now?

Some will say ear plugs, but I think it's a bad idea. I wear a scorpin, and wind noise is not bad.

Now I also ride a ninja 500, so the windshield may make a difference
I have an HJC IS-17 Intake MC-5 helmet. I will be buying some earplugs for sure. The noise of the motorcycle itself doesn't bother me (I have the stock exhaust and I enjoy the stealthy-ness) it's just the wind noise at high speed.

And I know a quite motorcycle helmet may be an oxymoron, and I've heard before there's only loud and louder helmets, but mine was unbearable.

I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet my new Bell RS1 is. I was switching from an older HJC CL-16 and was planning to start wearing ear plugs, but with this helmet, I don't get the booming wind noise like on my old helmet.

ksanbon

I agree with some of the points made in previous posts as I've found that there's a lot more to consider than just finding a quieter helmet.

My RF-1100 got quieter when I replaced the Yamaha double-bubble windscreen with a Puig racing screen because of reduced turbulence around my head. It got quieter again when I bought the gsx-r600 because of reduced turbulence despite the lower screen. Fairings don't necessarily create cleaner air for everyone - that's why Marthy swears by the little screen on his fz-09.

My Scorpion t1200 is quieter when I'm riding the gixxer in the normal ss position with my face turned slightly down. Racing helmets and touring helmets are usually designed for different aerodynamic conditions, but the t1200 seems to be more race oriented.

Both helmets are quieter when I'm wearing my Icon rain jacket because the rolled up hood around my neck doesn't allow much wind to enter the helmet from the bottom.

It's going to tough to find the ultimate helmet around here because we all have different head shapes, set-ups, riding positions.

There's some good information online - I personally like Revzilla because they offer good video reviews and good advice.

Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.

btw, +1 on earplugs

Earplugs are almost ALWAYS a good idea. Permanent hearing loss is horrible, and tinnitus is as awful as BlastOffMike says.

I found a great compromise for hearing protection.
Amazon.com: DownBeats Reusable High Fidelity Hearing Protection: Ear Plugs for Concerts, Music, and Musicians (Black): Health & Personal Care

I can attest to this type of earplug. I wear them 99% of the time when I ride. They are very easy to use and work flawlessly. The brand I use is called LIVEMUS!C. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/LiveMus-HearSafe-Ear-Plugs-Hypoallergenic/dp/B00H2F87I8"]Amazon.com: LiveMus!c HearSafe Ear Plugs - High Fidelity Earplugs for Musician, Concert, Drummer, Percussion, DJ & Clubbing - Reusable, Comfortable & Hypoallergenic Silicone - Triple Flange Design - Ear Protection from Loud Sounds, Noise Protection, Noise Cancelling - Patented Filter, Best Attenuation - Lifetime Guarantee (Standard Size): Health & Personal Care[/ame]

I strongly recommend earplugs. They drown out unwanted noise while still allowing the rider to hear enough environmental noise to be safe.

I use earplugs . After working on the airport for some years I had a considerable auditive loss ,my doctor told me the ruber made one are not really good . Best option would be the foamy ones .

http://www.coopersafety.com/Moldex-Pura-fit-Uncorded-Earplugs-200-Pairs-MD6800.jpeg?id=103&W=600&H=600

Did he elaborate why they aren't really good? I've found they are a lot less problematic than the foam ones. You just readjust them if you aren't getting the seal you need. I find the foam ones to be a real pain when trying to get it to shape to the ear and make that seal in the ear. If it's not formed correctly, you have to try and remold it to the ear.