question about one piece suits (yes i have used "search")

elishatarvin

i cant seem to find an item description for this on any item ive looked at so i figured id ask the experts. do most one piece leather racing suits come with removable armor? or is it permanent?

Detrich

but, most DON'T come with a chest or back protector though... i'm not sure how many people get chest protectors, but SportBikeTrackGear.com recommends a back protector.

that being said, i upgraded my suit with a CE back protector as well for around $25. it drops right into a built-in back protector pouch and fits snug. it makes the suit noticeably tighter and bulkier, but i think it's worth the added protection.

i think the higher end suits like A* and Dainese have buttons and velcro that allow you to attach the back protector to it.

Spunky99

but, most DON'T come with a chest or back protector though... i'm not sure how many people get chest protectors, but SportBikeTrackGear.com recommends a back protector.

that being said, i upgraded my suit with a CE back protector as well for around $25. it drops right into a built-in back protector pouch and fits snug. it makes the suit noticeably tighter and bulkier, but i think it's worth the added protection.

i think the higher end suits like A* and Dainese have buttons and velcro that allow you to attach the back protector to it.
There is the flat back protector pad of which there are different versions that may or not be CE rated. There is also the racing back protectors that you wear in addition for racing and can be worn street riding as well. The are spine protectors.

Detrich

right... i saw some on their web site- ie they are like curved plastic vests you put on with extra spine armor etc. i will consider getting one of those when i upgrade to a 1-piece...

There is the flat back protector pad of which there are different versions that may or not be CE rated. There is also the racing back protectors that you wear in addition for racing and can be worn street riding as well. The are spine protectors.

springstime

the one I own has removable armour in case I wanted to upgrade and I think that most others do also

Last edited:

Spunky99

right... i saw some on their web site- ie they are like curved plastic vests you put on with extra spine armor etc. i will consider getting one of those when i upgrade to a 1-piece...
I bought one like this to go with my one piece.
The Juggernaut and it's got all the US and European Certs to level 2.
Velocity Gear - Motorcycle Body Armor & Motorcycle Gloves - Protective Gear

Cheapest 1 piece suits out there but really well made in Pakistan
1PC NEW MOTORCYCLE LEATHER RACING SUIT ARMOR Red

It has a nice back protector but to get on a race track and race you have to add the spine protector.

elishatarvin

good info guys. the reason i ask is i am hoping to get some protective gear from my wishlist for xmas :wav: and one thing is THIS and i dont think doubling up at the shoulders, elbows etc would be too comfortable or safe even.

raven6

you must have gotten ripped off then... :justkidding:

chest protectors yes, most don't come with them... but the only one piece suits I've ever seen that don't come with a back protector of some type/rating are the ones from Frank Thomas... I have both a Teknic, (for the street) and an A-stars, (for the track) and both came with back protectors...

BTW back protectors that come in the suit should be removed when add on/strap on back protectors are used...

Last edited:

Spunky99

good info guys. the reason i ask is i am hoping to get some protective gear from my wishlist for xmas :wav: and one thing is THIS and i dont think doubling up at the shoulders, elbows etc would be too comfortable or safe even.
That Juggernaut armour is way cool if you are wearing a jersey or a non-padded, non-motorcycle jacket. If you have a CE approved motorcycle jacket then the full Jugernaut is overkill. I think that is for Motocross where the riders wear jerseys.

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

i haven't really found a 1pc in my size (38) that's also the right color/ style/ price, which is why i haven't really been rushing to get one. for canyon riding, the 2pc seems adequate and more flexible. i might just put off buying a 1pc altogether until i upgrade my bike in a year or two...

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99

i haven't really found a 1pc in my size (38) that's also the right color/ style/ price, which is why i haven't really been rushing to get one. for canyon riding, the 2pc seems adequate and more flexible. i might just put off buying a 1pc altogether until i upgrade my bike in a year or two...
The 2 piece is a good choice and most pants have the 360 degree zipper installed. Just sew the top part of the zipper into the jacket and you can zip them together and create a 1 piece that looks like a 2 piece and can be unzipped so you can take off the jacket.
Have you guys seen a rider fall while wearing a 2 piece? for some reason, the pants usually seem to go down and the jacket up leaving the waist area covered in road rash because it is exposed. I have both a 1 piece for the track and a 2 piece that zips together for the street. It keeps the wind out of the butt crack when zippered too..LOL...:D

JonKerr

Elite Member

Spunky99

I always figure if you're wearing a real 2 piece it's always zipped together. That's what makes it a suit to me and not just wearing a jacket and pants.
Some of them don't come ready to zip together if you are on the cheap....

raven6

I always figure if you're wearing a real 2 piece it's always zipped together. That's what makes it a suit to me and not just wearing a jacket and pants.
+1 to this...

Detrich