Primer on Lane Splitting in California?

Superzoom

Hi All!

I'm on my way to California in May to ride down the coast with the wife. I was wondering if anyone could provide a very basic primer on how to lane split legally and safely. I know pretty much nothing about it.

Also, I'd love to hear your personal opinions mixed in with the legal stuff, like behaviour you personally recommend or do not recommend. I'd like to lane split when it seems convenient and safe. I'd like to know when and how to lane split like other responsible California motorcyclists.

So when to do it, when not to do it, how to not piss off drivers, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Hi All!

I'm on my way to California in May to ride down the coast with the wife. I was wondering if anyone could provide a very basic primer on how to lane split legally and safely. I know pretty much nothing about it.

Also, I'd love to hear your personal opinions mixed in with the legal stuff, like behaviour you personally recommend or do not recommend. I'd like to lane split when it seems convenient and safe. I'd like to know when and how to lane split like other responsible California motorcyclists.

So when to do it, when not to do it, how to not piss off drivers, etc.

Thanks in advance!
Just use common sense, usually its reasonable during traffic that is going slower than 25. Head for the #1 (Fast) Lane and split between 1 and 2. If you lane split the other lanes, chance of accident is higher since cars are coming in and out of the freeway. I lane split on average 35 on the freeway (clear sunny day). Make sure you're watching 10-15 seconds ahead for any possible obstacles. Its common to have fellow motorcycles lane splitting faster than you, just take a lane and let them pass. Lane splitting off the freeway is appropriate at traffic signals. Move up to the front as long as you're not holding anyone up, you won't get crap for it. This is for San Diego area, I'm sure the LA riders have a few more tips and tricks to riding safely in that area. Enjoy the ride down and if anything, keep us posted where you're at. Maybe we can set up a meet/ride around that time.

Last edited:

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member
lane splitting at stop light can be amazingly convenient but if the light turns green and you are NOT up front yet you need to know when to gun it and when to lay off and fall back into an opening. its not a huge deal but it can get awkward fast and most people just gun it although I do not feel that is the safest.

also one thing I found is that some cities and areas are much esier to lane split in than others. the flow of traffic and space available can change drastically by region. So when I was in SF I was lane splitting like a mother****er... here in B town their is no need other than backed up red lights here and there of accident on freeway

try it out if its out of your comfort zone then no need to do it. good luck to ya.
Thanks JT, I forgot to mention the splitting to a intersection when it turns green.

abyss1406

When its safe and convient like you said. Try and Stay off the rubble strips and paint because it creates less traction. Kepp your head on a swivel when you do though.

Superzoom

Thanks so much for the great tips!

Urbanduckman, I'm not sure how long I can stick around once I actually get close to L.A./San Diego, but meeting up would be great. I should be there around May 17th.

What percentage of motorcyclists lane split? Are there those that seldom do it? Would I seem like a wuss if I didn't lane split at all?

2wheelie

Don't they split (illegally) in Canada?
Watch when you approach an open sections in the car lane, right or left of you -a car can jump in there to change lane.
Also, don't split near intersection or when approaching left turn - they can make sudden left turn without signaling.
Use rear brake for better maneuvering to slow down in traffic.
Watch your mirrirs for other bikers in the middle, before comming out between cars.

Heck, the whole Europe is doing it (if nor the World) and yet here only CA is cool with it..

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Adroit

Thanks so much for the great tips!

Urbanduckman, I'm not sure how long I can stick around once I actually get close to L.A./San Diego, but meeting up would be great. I should be there around May 17th.

What percentage of motorcyclists lane split? Are there those that seldom do it? Would I seem like a wuss if I didn't lane split at all?
A majority of riders do lane split, but everyone has their own comfort level. I think most everyone will lane split to the front of a red light as long as there is room (more of an issue for bigger cruiser bikes and whatnot).. a bit less will split through slow moving traffic, and maybe 50% will still be lane splitting at any speed.

I don't think anyone really judges someone on whether they lane split or not, but even if they did, it shouldn't matter to you. Don't let someone else's opinion make you do something you are uncomfortable with. If you do decide to lane split though, going through stopped traffic is very easy.. just try to keep it to ~25 mph or less and don't try to squeeze through something you can't fit through (duh?). If you are lane splitting on the freeway (wreck or just want to get by a slow moving car), you should do it between the #1 and #2 lanes if possible because that is where other drivers will expect you to pass them. A lot of drivers will check there often and try to make extra room for you to pass, which is nice. You "can" ride between the double yellows there, although technically illegal.. it isn't enforced. I've seen many motorcycle cops doing it, never heard of anyone getting in any trouble for it, and personally ridden past dozens of cops between the double yellow and never had an issue. I like splitting through here because it provides a little extra room, and other drivers are less likely to change lanes in front of you.

You can really just use your common sense when thinking of when to split lanes, don't do it if you are at all uncomfortable with the situation (I really avoid lane splitting near a car that is driving erratically), don't scare the crap out of grandma at a stoplight by splitting 1 foot away from her at 60 mph.. just common sense stuff. If you are confident you can squeeze by a few cars without a problem, why not?

NUISANCE

Pretty much everyone covered the basics. One thing I want to add is that you need to keep your RPMs up in case you need to gun it and get your *** in a safe place. I try to keep mine above 6grand when I am splitting lanes.

knightmare

Looks like this thread is covered.... Lol....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

latony007

damn it was all over before I could get in my two cents :)
I really only do it off the freeway at stop lights, which is aweseom just pull right to the front. JT is right about blending in but most people around here are so used to it they open up for you. I don't really do it on the freeway unless its dead stopped, im just too afraid of stupid people.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Superzoom

Thanks everyone for all the fantastic replies! I will take all your suggestions to heart and ride safe in California. I think what I may do it start off not lane splitting and just observe how others do it. Then I might try it once I get into some really slow traffic.

SixRFixR

I commuted 100 miles per day for a couple of years, on the 91 and 55 for you SoCal locals. I came up with my own set of rules for survival.

1) Go the full 10mph over the flow of traffic. The longer you linger off someone's rear quarter panel, the more likely they're going to drift into you. If your path is clear, GO!

2) Split either lanes 1 & 2 or HOV & 1. Too much mixing goes on in the more right lanes, besides, they're usually slower.

3) If there is lane control for the HOV lane (double yellow), ease back into a lane before you reach the entrance/exit. Cars dart in and out there.

4) Don't split around curves. You can't see road debris or cars off center and in your way and they can't see you coming.

5) Run your hi-beams during the day. It puts a flash in their mirror and helps them know you're coming.

6) Stay clear of dually pickups. They're as wide as tractor-trailer rigs, but the mouth-breather behind the wheel just traded his Honda Civic for it and he has no skills.

7) Keep your awareness level at 11. Splitting lanes actually makes a long, boring commute into a challenging adventure.

In general, be aware that some immigrant from the Ukraine and I are the only 2 people here that signal lane changes. Also, the standard spacing between cars is about 1.5 car lengths at 70mph. It's not exactly the 3-second rule as recommended by the Safety Council.