Power Commander V

Superfly

After troubleshooting a failed PCIII for my Duc and learning, loading and testing Maps for it I figured I'd have a look at the PowerCommander V for the 2009 FZ6R.

From looking at the stock exhaust and stock airfilter Map it seems that the PC-V will richen up the lower RPM range with less than 40% throttle. The heaviest fueling seems to be around 10-20% throttle from 3000rpm to around 7000rpm.

Above 40% throttle the mixture is leaned slightly in the lower RPMs 2000-4000 but then is slightly enriched all the way to redline. The extra fuel is probably not even noticable as its only about 5-7% above stock ECU amounts...

I would guess by looking at this map that you would gain some smoothness in the lower RPMs around the 25% throttle and you might gain a few horsepower on the top end at higher throttle settings...MPG might drop slightly and emmissions would prob suffer.

I'd like to see a dyno of a stock bike before and after...

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Superfly

I just installed a PCV on my bike. I put the map in from their site for the TBR exhaust since it's basically what I've got with the R6 exhaust and the GYTR on it. I'm not going to really mess around with adjusting maps myself. I'm planning on having a friend who owns Full Throttle Powersports do a dyno tune on it. I could tell just by running the bike in the garage and revving it that some of the pops that were still there even after blocking off the fresh air dump are gone. I can't wait until it stops raining around here sometime in the next week so I can get the bike out on the road and see how she feels.
Dont be too scared about richening the mixture. Nothing bad would happen except maybe some poor MPG and blackened plugs. Sounds like the downloaded map cured your lean condition and popping:iconbeer:

6R Blackout

It's been insane. It's actually worse in San Diego but national news always plays up LA because it's more dramatic and everyone know's LA. They're saying it's the worst flooding in San Diego since 1980. We're not used to this crap around here. Something like 7-8 inches of rain yesterday. It finally lightened up today. We live here and pay a lot of money to a broke state so we don't have to deal with this crap. Here's some pics I got off some local news sites.

This is Qualcomm Stadium full of about 3 feet of water.

Yes that's a Hummer that got stuck it was so deep.

Man I hope your not in the flood area. Hope you all get some sunshine to dry things up a bit.

JonKerr

Elite Member

6R Blackout

We live up on top of a hill so we're OK and I work at the top of the hills that create Mission Valley (where most of those pics were taken) so I've been able to stay out of it. But all the usual roads I ride in the canyons are under inches of muddy run off and will be bad for a while. So the bike will have to just sit and wait for a while.

Anyways back on subject - the main thing I wanted to get the PCV for was to cure the lean condition I know the engine was running in. Even with the fresh air dump blocked, it still popped A LOT under deceleration engine braking. It didn't shoot a foot long flame and backfire like it did when I first put the exhaust on before I blocked off the fresh air dump. But still wasn't right. Now once I get it dyno tuned, it should really be running well.
Just curious what type of exhaust did you put on.

JonKerr

Elite Member

JonKerr

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member
Last edited:

JonKerr

Elite Member

Superfly

I'm running late so I cant comment alot but LEAN causes the mixture to not burn sometimes and thats ignited in the exhaust. You can get a pop with a RICH mixture but more than likely its caused by a LEAN condition. The exhaust temps are much higher when youre on the LEAN side of the curve. Youre on the right track by adding fuel in the 0-2-5 range...Just remember more fuel will not hurt the engine...maybe foul plugs but thats it...Too lean and you can hurt the engine...

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Superfly

I tuned a vtx1800 and the map that stopped the horrible popping was +25% in some cells and more in others. Just keep in mind ur just adding small amounts at idle so I'd start at 20 per cell up to say 5000-6000rpm And see if ur improved