JonKerr

Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

mfischler

Elite Member

Spunky99

Pretty sure this could help - I know when I posted it I implied that the problem happened after installing the exhaust, but it was the combination of both the exhaust and the PCV. The guy who did my dyno tune tried and tried and could never get rid of the pops - he suggested doing research on block-off plates.

Obviously if you've already done this - nevermind :D

http://www.600cc.org/forum/f91/removing-pops-after-installing-new-exhaust-system-17803/
I did the exhaust and got tons of pops. Then I did the PCV and depending on which exhaust setting selected a lot of the pops went away. I'll do the backoff plate fix this weekend if I am physically able.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Spunky99

Happy digging... easy to change but it take forever to get there. Might be a good time to change spark plugs too, thats what I did...
yeppers....Have the Iridium ones ready to slip in....

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Hellgate

The only way your are going to get a good map is to have a custom one made on the dyno. Find a shop that has a 4 Gas EGA for exhaust analysis, not an only an O2 sensor. That shop should also tune to % of CO, not AFR, AFR is a random changing number not a constant. Once you've got that done your popping should decrease. The popping is caused by TOO MUCH unburned fuel entering the exhaust, meeting air and igniting, it is supposed to do that. It is not caused by a "lean condition." The reason you're hearing popping, because it's always been there, is because an aftermarket muffler doesn't muffle as well as the stocker so now you hear it. Blindly adding fuel will not solve your problems, in fact you may find after a good custom tune, that more fuel was removed than added. Don't assume your bike is lean until you objectively know for sure.

Finally, using the DynoJet Autotune is akin to chasing your tail. Many people have been driven to the point of insanity trying to make that thing work. Find a good dyno tuner, not a Harley shop, and be happy.

Cheers! :D

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Hellgate

Agree with you. Auto Tune has is flaw but get the job done. It kind of bite me in the butt at first, but I figure it out. The problem is it always want to lean out the mixture. Mainly cause by coasting. So what you need to do is go slow and open the throttle to 15, 20, 40... % and do a scan thru the whole rpm range, but don't let the engine rev down (grab the clutch and close the throttle then slow down) Then read between the lines...

For the popping I'm sure your right. But the way I look at it, the popping is cause by igniting the fuel in excess unburn fuel in the exhaust. So you can mess with it until it get as good as it get. Or dump some fuel in there until it can't ignite. (kind of the way you get rid of pre ignition with turbo)

Now is it the best HP that I got out of my set up? Maybe not. But it was entertaining... and I'm quite happy with the gain I did. I'll get some number on the dino sometime soon to compare with the tock set up (see R6 exhaust Marthy Edition)
But if you add more, and more fuel you decrease the performance of your bike, waste fuel, foul plugs, etc. To stop the popping simply cap your AIS. For about 30 minutes and .95 cents you're done.

Superfly

Sure a dyno tune is the best way. 2nd is to get a map from the pcv website that matches ur setup. If u still need to tweek from there it's going to be guess work. If u don't believe too lean causes popping u should google a bit On the subject as well as look at a few maps from the PVC website.

Hellgate

Sure a dyno tune is the best way. 2nd is to get a map from the pcv website that matches ur setup. If u still need to tweek from there it's going to be guess work. If u don't believe too lean causes popping u should google a bit On the subject as well as look at a few maps from the PVC website.
Is that per Wikipedia or something? :rolleyes:

On the whole, DynoJet maps are terrible. They're created to a global, genaric audience, not for your bike and where you ride. If you're in Las Vegas you're probably okay. They are also created using a sweep test not a step test, the results are very different. U should Google the subject.

Superfly

Lol dyno jet maps are not terrible. They might not be perfect and they themselves say that if you need the last bit of performance then by all means go dyno till ur hearts content.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

Spunky99

The backoff plates went on as well as the 4 new spark plugs but it took 3 hours to complete the job. The plates reduced the popping by 85 to 90%.

I did a couple of freeway onramp drag strip tests (4) and am pleased with the results. Can't say how fast I was going but the bike gets there a little quicker with the new plugs installed.