Old gas

Flipflash

Elite Member

Half-Click Up

I'd remove the tank, dump all the fuel, and visually inspect the tank interior for any rust.
While you have the tank off, go ahead and swap out for a fresh set of NGK Iridium IX plugs.
Dump an entire bottle of Redline into the tank and fill it with 93 octane.

Ride the snot out of her and enjoy her resurrection.

P.S.
Don't forget an oil change.

tsbmill

I'd remove the tank, dump all the fuel, and visually inspect the tank interior for any rust.
While you have the tank off, go ahead and swap out for a fresh set of NGK Iridium IX plugs.
Dump an entire bottle of Redline into the tank and fill it with 93 octane.

Ride the snot out of her and enjoy her resurrection.

P.S.
Don't forget an oil change.
What advantage would 93 octane have in this scenario?

SamC_09

I’ve used 1/3 can regular Seafoam. Works good and I always put 93 or non-ethanol in my tank. Back story: found an ‘09 with 798 miles in North Carolina near Virginia. Older rider wanted to learn and put it away for years. Bike had yellow powder in the tank, gas cap, fuel lines, injectors fuel pump… fueling system was trashed. Completely replaced. Note: fill that baby to the brim and dump stabilizer in the gas if she’s gonna sit longer than 3-6 months. The air allowed in the tank causes the rust not the fuel itself. I’ve also restored a bike that had what looked like bacon grease in the tank from 15+ year old gas! Anyway, fuel turned bad quicker than you think. Like drinking 3 month old milk. Best bet is get that mess outta there completely before even thinking about cranking her. Fresh fuel, fresh ride.

tsbmill

One extra item to add. Use up as much old fuel as you can then pour in your fuel stabilizer and then
top off with brand new ethanol free gas. I always run it or ride short distance from gas station to home so the stabilized fuel goes through as much of the system as possible.