Oil light..........

Lpfm1990

1st off. Yes it's full of oil
2nd yes I change the oil (about 1000 miles on the oil and filter)

So yesterday. Fire bike up, take off. Been riding for about 5-10 minutes, temp gauge is readin 150, so I decide to start banging gears off when I leave the stop sign, up to about 120mph (this is on a country road with no one around) in 6th at about 11k when I look and see the red oil light is on.... Let off gas. It went out.... Ok.... Went back to wide open and it never turned back on.... And didn't do it anymore after..... What would cause that? Oil too cold still to flow freely? I'm using the yamalube 10w-40 and it was 60 outside. So wasn't like it was extremely cold... Ideas????

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member
Last edited:

Lpfm1990

It's an idiot light attached to an oil level sensor. Reading through the manual, I've found no reference to an oil pressure sensor, but it doesn't mean I haven't over looked it. None are mentioned in the wiring diagrams.

It might be possible you pumped enough oil out of the sump when you raced the engine to temporarily trigger it.
Hopefully that's all. It's been a great bike so far (bought it new a year ago, almost have 5k on it now) I wonder if the oil was still cool and was getting bottled up going threw the filter and caused the sump to get low? Just one of those things that's going to bother me for awhile

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Chucker

I've also seen this a few times. It has always happened at the exact same spot. Approximately 2-3 minutes after I leave the office, I hit an on-ramp and the light has come on a few times when I hit around 120 km/h. I pull over, shut the bike off, check the oil, all is fine. Start the bike and it doesn't happen again. I think it is a misread when the bike is rev'd fairly high before it is right up to operating temperature. It has never happened at the track, and I always warm up the bike fully before entering the track.

Lpfm1990

Ok. I feel a million times better! It's been a great bike, and while it's not the fastest bike, it's just reliable yet still fun to click the gears off when I hit the country roads on my way out of town.