New Tank Grip

cavcuz05

neshi

Great solution...just someone will have to take the plunge to see if in fact the grips will actually cover the entire graphic
Well i just took one form the team and will see once my bike comes back form the shop!

It sucks when you bring your bike in because it was forecast to rain all week and now the sun is out the day is at 70* and you are stuck in your car!:surrender:

Detrich

has anyone installed & have pix of tank grips that just cover the lower black portion of the tank? ie where your knees squeeze/ touch on our bike? i've heard that a non-slip grip there improves riding posture and handling by preventing your body from moving around... i've circled the area that i'm talking about...

Last edited:

Briguy453

Just ordered mine from kneedraggers. Will post a pic when it gets here.

Detrich

i looked on knee draggers but they didn't have one for FZ6R... only r1 and r6?

creggur

has anyone installed & have pix of tank grips that just cover the lower black portion of the tank? ie where your knees squeeze/ touch on our bike? i've heard that a non-slip grip there improves riding posture and handling by preventing your body from moving around... i've circled the area that i'm talking about...
Put a set on my VFR and I gotta tell ya - probably the best $50 I've spent since I bought the bike. Granted, the VFR has a bit more sporting riding position than the Fizzer, but it has made a HUGE difference in comfort and riding performance.

It's easier to support my weight with my lower body, absolutely no weight on the bars during braking, and if you like to hang off, something other than a slick tank for your leg to hold.

A bonus is that my tank isn't getting the piss scratched out of it by me trying to do all of those things with leather or denim sliding back and forth, and up and down on my tank. Good stuff...

If the Fizzer were mine and not the wife's I would put them on the little black area as that seems to be right where my legs fall when I sit on it. You'd probably be the only one that knew they were there...

Detrich

Thanks Creg.. I'm pretty much sold and definitely going to get them. And, that little black area is also exactly where my knee scuff marks are too! <lol>

The hard part now is just deciding which brand/ type to get. I'd prefer ones that fit exactly on that little black area you mentioned. Some brands claim to be for FZ6R, but then when you look at the pictures they apply -above- that area- ie on the painted area of the tank, which is no good. (ie like the one in Roaddawg's photo above.)

Did you put clear ones or colored matched ones?

If the Fizzer were mine and not the wife's I would put them on the little black area as that seems to be right where my legs fall when I sit on it. You'd probably be the only one that knew they were there...

Last edited:

Briguy453

i looked on knee draggers but they didn't have one for FZ6R... only r1 and r6?
Oh. I ordered the stomp grip pads instead of the ones posted above. I also wanted something so I could have better grip with my knees rather than aethetic purposes. Kneedraggers is weird though. Enter search for fz6 but just do 2009 model year and it will specify on the part whether its for the fz6 or fz6r. Also just ordered the new puig racing dark smoke windscreen from them. Looking forward to the installs.

Detrich

ah, found it... Stompgrip Traction Pads - Yamaha FZ6R - 2009 to 2010

did you get the clear of the black? i'm thinking that i'll have to cut it to fit the plastic area regardless, as most tank grips all seem to fit above that spot- ie on the painted area of the tank. :(

creggur

Detrich

i wonder why none of the online vendors actually has an actual picture of the exact tank grip on an actual fz6r... lol sigh

here's a nice pix that shows the differences in textures tho... snakeskin looks like the most grip. i'm going to check my bike when i get home to see what pattern that plastic piece is, but i'm guessing it's prolly most like the snakeskin.

http://www.techspec-usa.com/images/gen_sheet_sport_big.jpg

Last edited:

Briguy453

JonKerr

Elite Member

Detrich

Cool... I'll wait to see the pix b4 ordering... :)

I'm leaning towards getting the general purpose snakeskin sheet, so I can cut the piece to fit the plastic area- unless the knee draftees one are shapped to fit there.

Got the black. Think the clear looks kinda cheesy. Black works well with my blue.

ajiribarren

The Techspec sold as FZ6R is for the FZ6, doesn't cover the black area needed for our bikes. You are better off buying the general purpose sheet and making a custom application.

I had to modify the placement of the ones I bought to actually be useful. I'll try to take a picture so you guys know what I'm talking about.

Cheers

Bigevildoer

I have a set of the Techspec Grip Pads on my Buell.
Absolutely love 'em so far. They protect the bike very well as well as add a nice bit of grip. Squeeze the legs a bit to remove any weight on your arms (tighten your core a bit too).

The Gripster pads really shine when you're hanging off the bike dragging a knee or cornering hard etc. (not that I condone this on the street, but it's been known to happen...)

I would suggest you clean them every month or so - the rubber will get "polished" a bit and lose some of the grip depending on how much you ride (and what your riding style is). Rubber rejuvinator is great stuff if you can get your hands on it (stop by any printing shop and ask for a bit).

ajiribarren

The Techspec sold as FZ6R is for the FZ6, doesn't cover the black area needed for our bikes. You are better off buying the general purpose sheet and making a custom application.

I had to modify the placement of the ones I bought to actually be useful. I'll try to take a picture so you guys know what I'm talking about.

Cheers

Detrich

^ the pad looks good... i like the color & texture...

the snakeskin has the diamond shaped pattern, whereas the high fusion seems to have more of a grit (sandpaper) pattern. i think the plastic area on our bike is diamond shaped pattern too, so snakeskin ought to match better. 7.5" x 13" might not be long enough to cover the entire plastic but enough to cut-out a shape to fit the inner curvy part. i need to double check where my knee scuffs are to make sure where to place them. i'll double-check my bike when i get home.

tnx :)

Detrich

looked over my tank, and it seems the upper plastic area above the curvature is where my knee scuff marks are. i guess this makes sense, since the concave portion really doesn't touch the knees, since it bends inward. so, i think i'd have to cut a piece to cover the upper area of the plastic portion- ie the Puma logo-shaped portion of the plastic piece. (highlighted in orange.)

PS ordered the general sheet from www.techspec-usa.com

Last edited: