New guy coming from San Diego

ch33zecake

Hello! I would like to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Kenny. I will be purchasing a Pearl White FZ6R next weekend which will be my first bike. I just got my permit today and will be taking the MSF course next week.

I do have somewhat of a motorcycle background. I've ridden dirt bikes in my teen years. I've gotten in 2 major accidents in which the last one has me with a metal plate holding my left collarbone together. Then I joined the Navy and haven't ridden anything since then. I've read a lot of DIY threads. I did all the maintenance on my old YZ250F and seems like I'm able to handle any basic maintenance on this bike.

I wasn't sure what bike to get at first. I've done a lot of research on the Ninja 650R and the FZ6R. I've roamed this forum countless hours on information about this bike, and it seems like this bike will suit me well. The reason why I didn't end up going with a 250 or 300 is because I used to have a 250 dirt bike and rode it very hard when I was younger. I know for a fact I would out outgrow a 250 in a very short time frame. The reason why I didn't go with an R6 is because I know better.

I haven't really had any experience with riding a motorcycle on the streets. The closest thing to that was riding a small scooter in downtown Honolulu when I went to visit Hawaii. I thought that was pretty fun and actually made me want to get my own motorcycle. So I guess the MSF course will teach me all the good habits and things to look out for to prevent possible accidents. I can't wait to get started!

latony007

Hello! I would like to introduce myself to everyone. My name is Kenny. I will be purchasing a Pearl White FZ6R next weekend which will be my first bike. I just got my permit today and will be taking the MSF course next week.

I do have somewhat of a motorcycle background. I've ridden dirt bikes in my teen years. I've gotten in 2 major accidents in which the last one has me with a metal plate holding my left collarbone together. Then I joined the Navy and haven't ridden anything since then. I've read a lot of DIY threads. I did all the maintenance on my old YZ250F and seems like I'm able to handle any basic maintenance on this bike.

I wasn't sure what bike to get at first. I've done a lot of research on the Ninja 650R and the FZ6R. I've roamed this forum countless hours on information about this bike, and it seems like this bike will suit me well. The reason why I didn't end up going with a 250 or 300 is because I used to have a 250 dirt bike and rode it very hard when I was younger. I know for a fact I would out outgrow a 250 in a very short time frame. The reason why I didn't go with an R6 is because I know better.

I haven't really had any experience with riding a motorcycle on the streets. The closest thing to that was riding a small scooter in downtown Honolulu when I went to visit Hawaii. I thought that was pretty fun and actually made me want to get my own motorcycle. So I guess the MSF course will teach me all the good habits and things to look out for to prevent possible accidents. I can't wait to get started!
welcome and congrats. FZ6R great choice for an all around bike. While i think the ninja looks a little better stock i really like the i-4 of the yamaha and how smooth it is. Purchase gear and always assume the car does not see you are my #1 recommendations :)

p.s. tons of great routes down there, Jon Kerr on our forum lives down there and can recomend some good ones.

RoadTrip

I wasn't sure what bike to get at first. I've done a lot of research on the Ninja 650R and the FZ6R.
Good choice, the I-4 motor rocks, this is an excellent sportbike.

I know for a fact I would out outgrow a 250 in a very short time frame. The reason why I didn't go with an R6 is because I know better.
Smart man, yes you would outgrow the 250, and you can move to the R6 when you are ready.

I haven't really had any experience with riding a motorcycle on the streets. The closest thing to that was riding a small scooter
Well, now you gonna have power, it's all riding, but power and handling gonna get you addicted. Post up a pic when you get it.

blkbrd

Elite Member

ch33zecake

welcome and congrats. FZ6R great choice for an all around bike. While i think the ninja looks a little better stock i really like the i-4 of the yamaha and how smooth it is. Purchase gear and always assume the car does not see you are my #1 recommendations :)

p.s. tons of great routes down there, Jon Kerr on our forum lives down there and can recomend some good ones.
Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to get a hold of Jon Kerr. :)

ch33zecake

Good choice, the I-4 motor rocks, this is an excellent sportbike.

Smart man, yes you would outgrow the 250, and you can move to the R6 when you are ready.

Well, now you gonna have power, it's all riding, but power and handling gonna get you addicted. Post up a pic when you get it.
Will definitely post a pic when I get it! :)

ch33zecake

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the purchase! As Tony and RoadTrip have already said, this is a great do it all bike. From a quick rip on the back roads to commuting to a cross country tour, the 6R can do it all. A few weeks ago, I rode mine 2000km (one way) to the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia and she never missed a beat. This trip made me seriously consider getting some work done on the seat though!! LOL!
Yeah I plan to use the bike as a daily commute to work and also do some long distance riding as well. Does the seat get uncomfortable after a while of riding?

blkbrd

Elite Member

latony007

You bet your A** it does!! Pun intended!!
the seat is uncomfortable when you get on it. After about an hour it switches to unbearable lol. Guys search dirt road custom and check out the redone seats on my bike. Huge difference at half the price of a corbin.

JonKerr

Elite Member

ej'sfz

Welcome local!!
As far as the seat goes itworks great for me too... not a complaint yet, I've only done maybe 3-4hrs solid riding at once but no issues. You're gonna love the bike for sure I've put almost 16k in just over a year and love it myself. My commute is only 60 miles a day but it is great for that and weekend riding. Welcome again

Welcome to the forum. I come and go from time to time. Had to get my company to make 600cc.org a viewable site, they blocked it due to gambling... Not sure who came up with that. The seat has been fine for me, I commute m-f 70 miles round trip from San Diego to Escondido for work. We'll have to set up some rides through the city to build up your experience. People can be really complacent when driving and you need to be prepared for it. I bought my 6'er (like GSX'R) last year and already have 21k on it. Ride/Play safe.