New grips. Grip length?

HelmetHair

So I ordered some Spider Peak grips. They were advertised as being 125mm. They turned out to be too long. I was going o have to trim the throttle grip to keep it from hanging up on the barend. I decide I wasn't going to like the way that looked, so I sent them back and got some Progrip 719's (advertised as 120mm). They are actually about 125mm also. They hung up on the barend as well, causing the throttle to stick. So I trimmed the end of the throttle grip. I don't like the way it looks though.

Does anyone know if the Yamaha accessory grips (the ones with the "FZ6R" on them) fit without trimming?

JFresh

Had the same issue with the Spider Peaks. Ended up trimming the throttle side grip and sanding it a bit so it doesn't look like a hack job (still does).

I do have an order in for the Yamaha ones and should have them Tuesday. They are advertised as 120mm. We'll see.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member
That's odd. I have the spider grips on stock handlebars and they fit perfectly. I wonder if something changed recently?

rregal

When I put on Woodcraft clip-ons with Suzuki Weighted Bar Ends I also switched to the Spider Peak grips. During test fitting I noticed the Peaks needed more space than the OEMs and moved the controls positioning holes inward 1/8” from the stock handlebar dimensions. Wouldn’t it be possible to move the controls inward 5mm to account for the new grips extra length? Of course that would entail removing the bar and drilling new positioning holes for the controls.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

HelmetHair

Had the same issue with the Spider Peaks. Ended up trimming the throttle side grip and sanding it a bit so it doesn't look like a hack job (still does).

I do have an order in for the Yamaha ones and should have them Tuesday. They are advertised as 120mm. We'll see.
Please post up on this thread and let me know.

HelmetHair

I installed the peak grips last year on stock bars with no problem? Maybe something new.
They are about 5mm longer than the stock grips on my Fz6r. Even if you push them on all the way, they rub against the bar end, preventing the throttle from closing when you release it. You can either trim the end, leave the bar end unscrewed part way (not a really good idea, IMHO) or drill new holes in the bar to move the switchgear up like was suggested earlier in the thread. I'd rather just have some grips that fit. I ran in to the same problem with both the Peak grips and the Progrip 719's. It seems Yamaha is using a slightly shorter than normal grip and setting up the bar accordingly.

latony007

bar ends

was reading other threads about the pro grips and spider grips and no one mentioned them hanging up the throttle on the bar end. I def. do now want to cut them and have them look bad on a brand new bike. If anyone gets the Yamaha ones with the logo let us know how they compare, especially for the vibration factor. Its ridiculous how quick my hands get numb on this bike. I find myself riding one handed most of the time to compensate.

thanks

JFresh

I got the grips in. I haven't installed them yet, and don't really know if I will. The stock grips measure in at 120mm. The FZ6R grips are advertised at 120mm, the actual package says 125mm, the throttle side measured around 120-121mm, and left side measures 127mm. I think these are just Progrips 714s made for Yamaha. I also think these grips would be pretty slick if you were caught in the rain, and by the feel might do a small amount better than stock at reducing vibration.

For right now, I'm loving the Spider Peaks and I've gotten over the trimmed edge. If it gets to me enough, I think I would still replace them with Spider Peaks, and either try to put more effort into making them fit, or spacing the bar end a bit. But I'm assuming if the majority of other haven't had an issue, then I probably could have pushed the grip up on the throttle side a little more.

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

HelmetHair

:banghead:
I got the grips in. I haven't installed them yet, and don't really know if I will. The stock grips measure in at 120mm. The FZ6R grips are advertised at 120mm, the actual package says 125mm, the throttle side measured around 120-121mm, and left side measures 127mm. I think these are just Progrips 714s made for Yamaha. I also think these grips would be pretty slick if you were caught in the rain, and by the feel might do a small amount better than stock at reducing vibration.

For right now, I'm loving the Spider Peaks and I've gotten over the trimmed edge. If it gets to me enough, I think I would still replace them with Spider Peaks, and either try to put more effort into making them fit, or spacing the bar end a bit. But I'm assuming if the majority of other haven't had an issue, then I probably could have pushed the grip up on the throttle side a little more.

I just got some of the FZ6R "comfort grips" as well and also noted that the throttle grip is 5mm shorter than the left grip. They went on fine. The Progrip 719's and the Peak grips wouldn't go on without hanging up the throttle, even when pushed on as far as possible. The bar end had to be backed out in order to keep the throttle from hanging up.

It never even dawned on me that I could have used a washer or two to space the bar end and make the Progrips or Peaks work without trimming. :banghead:

latony007

good idea

good idea with the washer on the bar end. I just ordered Spider grips and you probably saved me from sending them back. thanks