Nearly binned it

geko

So I'm approaching a round about in a line of traffic this morning. The traffic is doing about 10mph (who knows with a Yamaha speedo :) ) Anyway, there is no traffic on the round about so the vehicles in front are all proceeding smoothly on to the roundabout.

Just as the car in front gets to the roundabout and still nothing coming from the right, the car stops dead - WTF!!!.

I grab a hand full of front brake, the front end dives, somehow I also managed to wind the throttle open, but at least I'd pulled the clutch in with the brake, so the engine is screaming like a banshee and I'm fighting to stop the bike dropping.

Lucky for me I didn't hit the car in front, didn't get rear ended and managed to hold the bike up. Composed myself and proceeded on my way - thank goodness for crash helmets - prevents other road users from seeing how embarassed you look. :eek:

Last edited:

ry-mac75

Ha - that's why they're called accidents

...cuz they come out of no where. I've found the most innocuous things seem to be the most dangerous. I was coming out of my parking garage, I'm way down on P4 so it's not impossible to get a little speed up as you go up.

So, like any big parking garage there are signs explaining the flow to stupid people "One way", "Do not enter" etc.... so as I'm winding up to P1, there is some jerkwad going too fast, the wrong way and on my side! Imagine my surprise.

Just like you, pulled it in, revved the piss out of the motor and did a little slide. I then might have expressed my thoughts about this drivers lineage, IQ, driving etiquette and a few other items at top volume. His window was down, I feel I got my point across.

I swear... if I had a 6 inch piece of metal pipe, that man would be minus a side view mirror.

Barkwindjammer

Close call geko, there are more low speed dings at junctions and stops than anywhere else on the road, I rear ended a car many years ago at a large roundabout, was watching for the 'gap', the guy in front pulls away then comes to a halt 3ft from where he started, since then I pause when behind a vehicle at a stop, and make sure they are moving off with intent :cool:

geko

Yes, it was close.

You'd think with 25+ years of car driving I'd have wised up to what is, as you say, the classic type of shunt.

Thing I'm learning about the motorbike is that 'panic' and 'braking' just don't work on a bike like you can get away with in a car.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Detrich

Yes, me too! :/

Thing I'm learning about the motorbike is that 'panic' and 'braking' just don't work on a bike like you can get away with in a car.