My tbr exhaust set off a car alarm :)

travisH3

Mine has done it in the parking garage at school before but I have Marthy's exhaust. I may reinstall the db killer and only remove it for joy riding so it isn't as loud using it as a commuter during the week.

yfz6r

Why does being obscenely loud make you happy? You want to be noticed that bad? I hate when idiots go by with loud bass or something setting my alarms off.

travisH3

I don't think it's ridiculously loud, I just think because its so deep sounding and the way it echoes that it makes it set off alarms. Most of the alarms that go off would be aftermarket ones that are set to really sensitive. Stock vehicles are pretty hard to make go off just by something being loud. A lot of my friends have very nice vehicles and have alarms so that if you tap the tire it goes off. Those are the ones going off. It's not like these things are louder than any other sport bike with exhaust systems that are basically straight piped with a small can style muffler. The extra awareness that cars get is definitely a plus like he said but its not like your hurting people's ears. Just my two cents, the fz6r is too quiet stock

Brock Kickass

Do you wear hi-vis yellow gear whenever you're on your bike? Statistically, it has a better chance of saving your life than a loud pipe. If you don't wear it, admit the truth: you have an obnoxious pipe because you lack consideration for others. You're using safety as a weak excuse for your juvenile behavior.
You ride your bike on streets where people live. You ride your bike on streets where people sleep inside their houses. Maybe people who work nights. Maybe babies or small children who need to nap during the day. If your pipe is setting off car alarms, you can bet it's waking them up.
There are plenty of aftermarket options out there that are quiet unless you're really cracking on your bike. If you're making that much noise in town, you're nothing more than a nuisance. Save the racket for the track.

Chevyfazer

I love good sounding exhaust no matter how loud it is. I've set off car alarms too and yes it does put a smile on my face as well. The ones that I have set off were actually on POS cars and they were POS alarms systems and a few of them I have to make it go off by getting on the throttle, good systems don't have a need to be that sensitive. But, in the early hours of the morning or real late at night I make sure to keep my bike as quite as possible, even with no DB killers bikes can be surprisingly quite when you want them to be. There's no way I would try to set off a alarm early in the morning, IMO that's just a D-bag thing to do on purpose. The question is though now that you know it's your bike setting off the alarm, will you continue to try and set it off or try to not make it go off?

travisH3

Do you wear hi-vis yellow gear whenever you're on your bike? Statistically, it has a better chance of saving your life than a loud pipe. If you don't wear it, admit the truth: you have an obnoxious pipe because you lack consideration for others. You're using safety as a weak excuse for your juvenile behavior.
You ride your bike on streets where people live. You ride your bike on streets where people sleep inside their houses. Maybe people who work nights. Maybe babies or small children who need to nap during the day. If your pipe is setting off car alarms, you can bet it's waking them up.
There are plenty of aftermarket options out there that are quiet unless you're really cracking on your bike. If you're making that much noise in town, you're nothing more than a nuisance. Save the racket for the track.
What can I say, I like good sounding engines. My truck has 5" turbo back straight pipe on it and love the sound. no sense in fighting over exhaust systems here. Their are hardly any kits sold for our bike compared to more popular bikes and due to the design, and it's loud without a db killer. No one really said they enjoyed going around setting off alarms, he was just stating it was loud. Mine only set off an alarm in an enclosed parking garage where it echoes. And u notice how it was a car, it isn't like every car we pass the alarm is getting set off. Btw during the summer I do wear high vis yellow because what I have is very breathe able and all other times I'm in my icon stuff that is for cooler conditions. I also have a white helmet which is supposed to be more noticeable to other drivers also. But even those precautions to being noticed doesn't help when your in a drivers blind spot and they try to merge either carelessly or didn't look very well. :zombie:

jman

I don't go around revving my engine trying to set car alarms off. I was actually cruising at 4,000 rpms on a normal drive to work. It was a pos Honda civic all ghetto'd out that the alarm went off on. Sorry I like to have my bike sound like more than a Prius. Do I like to hear my exhaust as I'm downshifting coming into a corner or flipping gears on a nice straightaway...hell yeah! If you call it juvenile then so be it.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member

travisH3

As long as you're happy, awesome. Don't worry about anyone else. Seriously.

WRT loud pipes getting you noticed - great thinking. But what about the douche bag in the cage who is mostly deaf because his stereo is louder than your bike - think he'll hear you coming?
yes we know, there is no way to get your self 100% noticeable but every little bit helps. even if your in a car, there are still blind spots in some vehicles big enough to hide a car.

06330i

^^^^^^:wtfgun:
Someone needs to take a chill pill, I'm pretty sure he wasn't doing it intentionally, and I'm sorry, but you can hear a bike coming a lot better than seeing a bike coming. I've been cut off multiple times on my bike with stock exhaust and my bike is yellow. Can't get much brighter than that. People are inconsiderate and don't check their mirrors and blind spots often enough to catch whats behind or next to them, or they're too busy on their phone.

redwing-2001

there is nothing like a good sounding bike. Loud pipes as a safety measure is quesitonable. However, motorcyclists are a minority. When enough non-motorcycling people get annoyed they start getting their government representatives involved and put in some crazy laws and ordinances. Anyone from California want to chime in for examples? Just, please, be mindful that it is NOt music to most peoples ears.

danieljardim

I have to say. When I installed the TBR the sound was super cool and I felt like I was riding a race machine.

After riding for about a month with it, when I took it out to trade in, the bike felt so nice and smooth while riding with the stock pipe, that I almost turned around and went home instead of going to the dealer.

MiltonDorkenhoff

Search, THEN post.
Elite Member
Last edited:

redwing-2001

This South Park episode sums it up nicely. The Califonrnia law is California senate bill 435. Pretty easy to find online.
Oh, I know it is easy to find. My point was that California has a goofy law as a result of their citizens and legislators getting aggravated at loud pipes. May very well put the after market "pipe" manufacturers/distributors out of business.

Last edited:

Scott_Thomas

Insert title Here
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

Sorry, I came off more pissy than I meant to. I like the sound of a properly running engine as much as the next guy. I run a Yosh R-77 on my FZ1 and it is loud as hell WOT over 8000RPM. It's also one of the quietest aftermarket cans when you're riding sedately.
My only point was that loud pipes really don't save many lives. If you want a loud bike, say you want a loud bike. Don't say it's a safety thing.
You guys are right, those POS aftermarket alarms are too sensitive, and usually guarding a $700 car. The owners of those alarms are just as big of douches as the guys with drag pipes blaaaapping around town making a racket.
I really doubt you were trying to make a racket. I've had workdays ruined by inconsiderate clowns with loud bikes and cars, and it drives me a little nuts. And then I get cranky. I also remember a night where a neighbour's car alarm went off from 1AM until the battery died at 3:30AM because he was out of town in his other car. And then I got cranky. I'm glad that you like the sound of your bike. Just please remember to be considerate. The ones who aren't considerate ruin it for all of us.
Also, +1 on the white helmet. I use one and everyone I know who has seen me riding from their cage says they see my gigantic melon from a mile away.
Sorry about the rant. I was cranky and tired from the paint-can-muffler-Honda-Civic-race-team holding auditions all night on my block the night before. :)

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member