Lowering the front end (step by step)

DubiousDrummer

So here's the deal. Some of us don't have garages and fancy ropes to suspend our bikes, and some of us are a little slow to be able to look at the bike and know right away what a "triple tree" is or how to lower the front end. Here is the "For Dummies" version of "How to Lower the Front End of Your FZ6R".

To begin: you will need two Allen Wrenches (Hex wrenches). One 7/32" and one 5/16". You may also need a 12mm socket and wrench.

The first bolts you will be messing with are accessed from underneath the front end, using the big gap between the bottom of the headlight and the top of the front fender. They are on the "triple tree"- which is the name for the "clamps" around the metal forks. Looks like this:

(Note that there are two of these. One on the left part of the fork and one on the right.)

PLEASE BE CAREFUL. You only need to loosen the triple tree's bolts about 180 degrees or half of a turn.

Secondly, you must identify the bolts on the handle bars. Looks like this:

(Note that this was taken AFTER I completed the lowering, hence the raised fork ends.)

BE CAREFUL WHEN LOOSENING THESE TWO BOLTS. You only want to "break the seal" from the factory tightening. After that, you should notice the front end slowly sliding down the forks. When it gets to the distance that you would like (I would suggest no more than 2 inches down), quickly tighten the bolt back up. You must use measuring tape or a ruler and make sure that the two sides are lowered EXACTLY EVEN. Even the slightest difference could be unnoticeable when you mount the bike, but will make it not respond correctly when you lean or turn the handlebars.

Once you are finished lowering, and have tightened all of the bolts back up, you may want to look at the horn assembly. Looks like this:

(Sorry if it's too blurry, but I think you can get the idea.)

I was worried that the horn would hit the top of the front fender if I hit a bump too hard or too fast, so I used the 12mm socket to loosen the bolt that was fastening it, and gave it a slight tweak, so the final product looked like this:

So there you have it. If you did it all right, and you were careful with the bolts, ensuring not to loosen them too quickly, you should be quite pleased with how lowering the front end makes your bike look a bit more aggressive, and much easier to handle.

Thanks for reading. Hope this was helpful.

acomeaux33cx

Did this yesterday and absolutely love it

cavcuz05

i did this when i installed my link and i noticed my cables are tighter and im no where near as low as you...how are yours

buzzbomb

Elite Member

DubiousDrummer

Hello. It's me again, that devil's advocate guy. If one needs to lower the bike because of their height, that makes sense. Otherwise, doesn't lowering the front end just make the bike push into the corners, as more weight-load is transferred to the front?

Just asking, because that's what I do. :D
I've rode it around a little bit since lowering the front end. In my opinion, the best thing about it is that the bike pushes into the corners more. I'd much rather lean than turn the handle bars. Not to mention, the amount that I lowered it is fairly insignificant, to be honest. The difference that it does make in height, handling, and looks is minimal, but enough.

JT

Monster Member
Elite Member

Deathdiesel

Okay so I did this the other day, and I love how it feels, and looks. But whenever im riding and hit a small bump I feel a clunk kind of. I can come to a stop and grab the front brake and rock back and forth quite a good ways and cant bottom it out if I try. Any ideas? Its happened more than once for sure. :confused:

DubiousDrummer

Okay so I did this the other day, and I love how it feels, and looks. But whenever im riding and hit a small bump I feel a clunk kind of. I can come to a stop and grab the front brake and rock back and forth quite a good ways and cant bottom it out if I try. Any ideas? Its happened more than once for sure. :confused:
Yes. I know exactly what it is! If you look at the picture I posted, you'll see the little metal fixture that has the horn attached to it. The bottom of this is hitting the top of your front wheel fender. If you rub your hand on your front fender around that place, you will be able to feel a little nitch. The only thing I could advise is to a) try bringing the front back up a little bit, b) if at all possible, try to get rid of the metal fixture. I found that the front brake cable is also attached to this, so I was hesitant to just remove it completely. So it seems that your best option is to try raising the front back up.

Hoped this helped!

Deathdiesel

Right on man. Thats exactly it, stupid little bracket. Gunna go fix it now, I can easily relocate the horn and completely remove that bracket. Be easier than raising it up again.

DubiousDrummer

Right on man. Thats exactly it, stupid little bracket. Gunna go fix it now, I can easily relocate the horn and completely remove that bracket. Be easier than raising it up again.
If you do find a way to get rid of it, let me know. I'd be interested in doing the same. Just let me know how you secure the front brake cable.

Deathdiesel

Got it, wasnt hard at all. Just took a little patience to get it done safely.

Took out the bracket completely, then added three spacers between the front fork mount and the horn, screwed it in tight, bent the plate about 30* forward, so the horn was clear.

For the brake line, the bracket for it seperated into two pieces, one main plate, and a small one, so got rid of the main one, and the little one I used as an offset/mount, put 2 spacers between it and the front fork mount, and reversed it to make about a 1/2" gap between the forks and the mount, then ziptied the line to the mount slightly snug. No rubbing now, and should have plenty of clearance.

Hard to see I know, but its dark out here. You could not bend the horn plate, but then youd have rubbing issues. This way there is no rubbing at all.

DubiousDrummer

Zip ties. Genius.

I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend. Thanks, man.

Deathdiesel

Lol, its kind of redneckish I know, but in reality the dealers use zip ties too. And glad to contribute to an already great mod.

Faddy

I just lowered my front end by 1" about 1 hour ago. I'll see how it handles and such. :) Thanks for the write-up!