Loose front end

Fraze

Hello, I'm a new FZ6R owner (2 weeks), and I am enjoying the bike. I just wanted to ask about the front end, particularly cornering..in short it feels "washy". I've done some searches on forks, springs, fork oil, fork braces, t1res and such but I can't seem to match exactly what I'm experiencing to one or any of the above. On my previous Suzuki I had a set of progressive springs with 15wt oil and a fork brace and handling was very good and tight. I'm just wondering if this is just "how this bike is" or if there is something specific I can do to reduce the washy cornering feeling. I don't want to start "trying" things if there is a known solution. Its an 09 with 11,000kms, and the PO put on a new set of Dunlops last fall, they have less than 1000kms on them and the bike was just safetied, other than a different windscreen and the passenger seat cover, the bike is bone stock. I'm now the second owner. Feel free to deflect me to a thread if one exists on this specifically, I searched for a while and couldn't find anything directly, but if what I'm describing = an exact fix I'm VERY interested. I'm liking everything about the bike, but would love to know if this is fixable. I feel it even when just casually riding in turns, nothing aggressive. I'm 5'9 -175lbs.

This is my bike;

Thanks for any assistance.

Last edited:

chopper71

Though I can't help you with what you are asking, because I have no idea :banghead:. I can say congrats on the new FZ6R. Its truly a good over all bike. I'm sure someone will chime in and try to help you out. This is a great forum with lots of helpful people.

alaskanflyboy

Premium Member
Last edited:

Fraze

Do you mean that it feels like it takes a lot more minor steering corrections?
Well, it is kind of like that. Sorry I suck at explaining things like this. The only way I can describe it is comparing it to my old bike which was tight around turns and corners, when taking a corner or turn on this bike it feels a tad bit "jittery" and not tight. So kind of like what you are saying. I was also looking around and read about steering bearings...Im all over the place and I don't know where to start :surrender: Maybe its just me being new to the bike and this is how they are and I just have to get used to it?

@Alaskanflyboy, thanks and yes I am running 33/36 as per the manual.

Chucker

You've probably got 2 issues.

1. Your springs are lighter than you're used to, which will make the bike wallow a bit when leaned over at speed. This is fixed with upgrading your springs. If you do the front, you should do the rear as well. A set of Race Tech springs with the correct spring rates for your weight will run you under $300. Installation of the fronts is a piece of cake. The rear requires removing the shock. I took my shock into the dealer to change the spring as I couldn't find a spring compressor that would fit.

2. The fork oil is too light. The FZ6R comes with 5W. I would suggest changing to 15W if you replace the springs, 20W if you don't. This is also quite easy.

The tire pressure wouldn't cause this unless it was under 28 PSI. I run 28-30 PSI at the track and my bike is really solid in the turns.

Fraze

You've probably got 2 issues.

1. Your springs are lighter than you're used to, which will make the bike wallow a bit when leaned over at speed. This is fixed with upgrading your springs. If you do the front, you should do the rear as well. A set of Race Tech springs with the correct spring rates for your weight will run you under $300. Installation of the fronts is a piece of cake. The rear requires removing the shock. I took my shock into the dealer to change the spring as I couldn't find a spring compressor that would fit.

2. The fork oil is too light. The FZ6R comes with 5W. I would suggest changing to 15W if you replace the springs, 20W if you don't. This is also quite easy.

The tire pressure wouldn't cause this unless it was under 28 PSI. I run 28-30 PSI at the track and my bike is really solid in the turns.
ok this is great information and what I was hoping to hear. Thanks so much. I think to start I will replace my fork oil with 20wt and have at it for a few days and see what happens. While I love the riding position and the bike overall ... the suspension is softer than I'm used to...this will be a quick, cheap and easy job and I may get some decent results for a bit. Thanks again.

Fraze

Thought I would update in case anyone was interested. Right off the bat, problems solved ... and then some. The bang for your buck on this upgrade is a no brainer. Steering and handling/cornering MASSIVE improvement. Nose dives when braking, gone. Nose dives during accelerated shifting, gone. All around ride and "even" feel, awesome. For $150 bucks shipped and new fork oil, this was a no brainer. I cut the tubes to Racetech's max recommendation (20) and used 10wt oil. Just as they say on their site, the bike is now firmer and compliant. Its actually incredible how much better the ride is. I also did an aluminum fender plate kit, LED turn signals (with a new flasher to regulate the flash), some shorty levers, K&N, EBC front pads with some Galfer lines (added these after the springs for even better braking) and a set of ZX6R mirrors which despite varying reviews I had read, I find to be pretty good.

Thanks for allthe info. Some pics;

Fraze

I've only logged about ~500kms with the new setup and so far things feel infinitely better and "even". I have my stock rear spring set to 5 on the ramp. Is it recommended or beneficial to do the rear spring? and if so, what is involved in that, are we talking a new one or replacing it all together with one from another model that's wound differently? I'm 5'9 - 170lbs and the setup right now feels really good...I'll have to search to see if there's a rear spring thread and what people are saying. Thx.

Chucker

At 170lb, you're probably fine with the stock spring. I changed mine, but I'm 195lb. To do so, you remove the shock assembly, compress the spring and swap it with the new spring. I removed the shock assembly, but had a dealer swap the spring on it.

Fraze

What brand is that fender eliminator?
I got it on ebay. It was 60 bucks and it came with 4 turn signals. Its a nice unit powder coated solid aluminum not cheap looking plastic or metal, I'm impressed and it fit perfectly with existing hardware..If you get one, Id recommend grabbing some washers when you install it, but that's about it. You can get it with or without signals, I got it with 4 LED signals and they are pretty decent, very bright.

Here's the auction/seller;

Yamaha FZ6R FZ 6R XJ6 Black Fender Eliminator Tail Tidy Black 2T s 2009 2014 | eBay

Last edited: