Lane Splitting - Cali style

bjs045

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHMsyILmCdA&feature=recentf]YouTube - How to Lane Split/ Filter/ Lane share tips[/ame]

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

owldaddy

While it is legal to split lanes in California, what you saw on that video isn't legal. Splitting lanes when traffic is stopped, or moving extremely slow is typical, at least north of the Grapevine. This guy was speeding and using his video camera to get his 15 minutes of fame. If he had come across a CHP, he would have been nailed if they could catch him. I watched the whole thing thinking maybe I was going to witness a really bad accident...... Another rider whom I hope has filled out an organ donor card.

Spunky99

While it is legal to split lanes in California, what you saw on that video isn't legal. Splitting lanes when traffic is stopped, or moving extremely slow is typical, at least north of the Grapevine. This guy was speeding and using his video camera to get his 15 minutes of fame. If he had come across a CHP, he would have been nailed if they could catch him. I watched the whole thing thinking maybe I was going to witness a really bad accident...... Another rider whom I hope has filled out an organ donor card.
I was splitting lanes at 75 mph with traffic at about 55 to 60 mph. I decided to take a position in the carpool lane for a minute and adjust my helmet, scratch my nose etc. I started back into the center to start splitting again and a CHP motorcycle went by at 75 mph and I almost collided with him. All my fault for not looking good enough and lesson learned. He never knew I came close to him. So I followed him at 75 in a 70 mph zone, lane splitting 55 to 60 mph traffic and there were several other bikes ahead doing the same thing. It was like a normal thing...Doing 100 mph is over the line....

JonKerr

Elite Member
Last edited:

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

bjs045

It's normal here in Los Angeles and San Diego...the guy in the video is in SD. I've had cagers swoop past me and swerve "in-n-out" of lanes at 90+ MPH. I've also tagged along with a California Hwy Patrol (CHP) Motorcop after we exchanged two downs splitting lanes in the car pool at 90 MPH. ;)

6:30am I'm in the car pool lane doing 85 and I pass a lady in a SUV in the far left lane. We're approaching an enter/exit section of the car pool...now instead of pulling in behind me which she had at least 2 car lengths...she speeds up passes me, doesn't even signal then cuts in front of me. My front tire was no more than 3 feet from her rear bumper. :rant:

Another time, again in the car pool lane, which was "stop and go" traffic around 10-30 MPH I approach this Mitsubishi Eclipse on my left he swerves to close middle gap (the 110fwy has sections that are 2 lane). At first I thought he was trying to make a lane change, but once I was side by side he jerked the car toward me again. I avoided the collision with a quick dip turned and looked at him. He and his female passenger were laughing hysterically. :rant:

Personally I don't lane split using the whole fwy. Usually I'm in the carpool and if theres no carpool I'm in the fast lane. Just splitting that lane.

I will not "cut and swoop" from the fast lane to the slow lane then back again. To me thats insane!

Time saved riding my bike and lane splitting 1 hour. I battle all the traffic going into Down Town Los Angeles. /shrug

I will say this though: I will do anything to get out of a pack of cars traveling on these California fwys if I feel its unsafe. Usually 90% of the time. There are so many accidents out here...I'm not about to get squished between "Blonde" doing her makeup and "Fat Ass" eating his second breakfast.

If I describe how I ride on the FWY...it's called Aggressively Defensive...All I do is mimic how CHP ride. I figure they know how to ride our FWY's.

Last edited:

juicyfruitjim

I think lane splitting is fine when done appropriately and safely. I only do it in heavy traffic and slowly through the lanes. When do it at speed that is a safety violation and is more like weaving than splitting. Just my two cents.

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Spunky99

Lane splitting is very stressful....
You gotta watch for so many things and do it within your abilities.
I have to take breaks and relax as I get tense.
That guy in the video took it a little over the top to show off IMO.

I would hate to have to commute from Riverside or Temecula on the 15 and 91 to LA every day. I hate the 91......

The freeway that I followed the CHP on had a double yellow between the carpool lane and the #1 lane that was 2 feet wide and that was why we were going that fast. I forgot to mention that fact. But you have to watch for debris in the path as this is where it collects. With a wide divider like that, you have a lot more room to allow for mirrors and such and the cagers don't "usually" cross over that area....

columbus2382

that guy seems like a complete moron to me

DanielW0830

The guy in the lane splitting video seriously needs to calm down. Just Sayin. :)

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Stephenfz6r

This guy is insane, I wonder if someone will post his obituary on U-TUBE. I hope his organ donor card mentions that the brain of this guy is not suitable for transplant:justkidding: although psychiatric forensic students may want to have a look at it.

stevet

I think it's a very short matter of time before this guy becomes a lane-splitting organ donor sandwich. This kind of riding is fuel for auto drivers to think we are crazy and dispespect us. I'd rather arrive somewhere a little later than never arrive sooner. There are times when it's safe enough to lane split slowly with caution. This guy shows us most of the wrong reasons to avoid this dangerous practice. I'm glad he posted this video to give us so many examples of what not to do.

lwclancers

Dart is right. If I did what the guy in the video did at the 2 minute mark and go sit at a red light between 2 cars, im fairly certain I would have a serious beat down by the time it turned green.

JSP

Super Moderator
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25PJb-aDotY]YouTube - Getaway in Moscow on a Yamaha R1.avi[/ame]

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Diluted

Super *********
Elite Member

Spunky99

Dart is right. If I did what the guy in the video did at the 2 minute mark and go sit at a red light between 2 cars, im fairly certain I would have a serious beat down by the time it turned green.
I lane split at every red light. I am careful not to smack mirrors and if the gap is too narrow, I wait. If the light changes to green I still lane split through the intersection.
It is legal here in CA and it is more efficient. Bikes accelerate much faster than cars and do not impede traffic. If you want to wait in line, that's cool or if you have a Fat Boy cruiser and cannot split lanes, that's cool too. Lane splitting is not recommended for mopeds, 50CC scooters and YSR50's.

The worst I've seen is a cager revving his motor next to me like he wants to hit it hard off the line. I know to use the other lane when I take off and stay out of his way to be safe.

I've heard the occasional idiot yelling at me for splitting lanes as if it is against the law but he is misinformed and I ignore them. Any vehicle that intentionally veers towards me and threatens my safety intentionally will receive 4 flat tires at the next stop if I cannot find and engage a Police Officer to resolve the Attempted Vehicular Assault charge. Cops know people get peeved off at bikers for lane splitting and do stupid things like swerving at the biker and they don't tolerate it.

So far I have been able to avoid cagers with attitudes and not resorted to vigilantism which is exactly what they are doing if they swerve towards you for lane splitting.