Iron Butt

I’m requesting y’all’s help or opinions so to speak. I’m going to be riding the Iron Butt Challenge with some of my buddies. The Iron Butt is 1000 miles in 24 hours or less. I have a 2009 FZ6R with around 16000 miles.

My question is what kind of maintenance should I do prior to making this trip?

I would like to wire a switch to the relay of the fan (not sure how to do that) but it will all be riding in Florida and it tends to get hot but that’s why I’m asking y’all.

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrangeKatze

Just last week, I rode my 09' FZ6R a little more than a 1000 miles in around 15 hours moving from east Atlanta to San Antonio. Your bike will probably do fine. Just make sure you've kept up on all the typical maintenance stuff, have a well lubed chain, and well inflated tires.

I doubt you need to do anything to the fan. What makes you think otherwise?

I'd worry more about making sure you're prepared. If you're like me, your butt will pass being sore and become numb by the end of your trip.

I only think that about the fan cause it runs pretty warm here in Florida. I don’t want to bypass it to where I have to turn it on just when I feel the need.

MrFrzZ

I think the coolant flush is scheduled at 16000 miles? I can't remember. If you haven't had that done, then I would just go ahead and change it. You should be fine.ake sure tires are good, chain is lubed, and you dont have a lot of gunk up around your front sprocket, check air filter, etc. You should be fine.

I think the coolant flush is scheduled at 16000 miles? I can't remember. If you haven't had that done, then I would just go ahead and change it. You should be fine.ake sure tires are good, chain is lubed, and you dont have a lot of gunk up around your front sprocket, check air filter, etc. You should be fine.
My coolant is good. I have about 500 miles on it I think if that.
Tires are new. I do want to change the oil and lube the chain a couple days prior and thank you for the reminder I do need to change my air filter lol

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member