In need of some help for streetfighter conversion

Hi guys im new to this forum, im ninety percent complete on the conversion for my 09 FZ6R but im just stuck at a dead end. I cannot remove the headlight/speedometer bracket which is attached to steering head. The two bolts on steering head seem to be stuck. The right side bolts wont move for anything and the bolts on the left side look completely different and as if they are welded on ?! What should I do to remove this support so i push back the OE headlight up towards the handle bars along with the speedo. It looks really awkward at the moment since im at a dead end with this. In worst scenario i feel like i would have to take it to a custom shop for bikes and have them saw it off, if anyone can shed some light on this id really appreciate it

Attachments

xorbe

Looking at the frame diagram on Bike Bandit, seems like it should be removable. I would think that you leave the welded side alone, and remove from the other side.

yes the bolts on the right side are removable, i just dont know why the bolts on the left are different from the right side one and why its even welded,thus making it impossible to remove at home with basic tools. Its all one piece that has to come off by removing these four bolts so i can then bring up the headlight and speedo closer to the handle bars. As you can see in the last pic clearly it looks incomplete if i left it like that :(

xorbe

yes the bolts on the right side are removable, i just dont know why the bolts on the left are different from the right side one and why its even welded,thus making it impossible to remove at home with basic tools. Its all one piece that has to come off by removing these four bolts so i can then bring up the headlight and speedo closer to the handle bars. As you can see in the last pic clearly it looks incomplete if i left it like that :(
I am guessing the right side bolt threads into the welded cap. It wouldn't be removable if they welded the side with the bolt! So you only need one wrench to loosen and tighten.

DaveTheCanuck

The caps on the other side stay on, they bolt threads into them.

You just need to remove the bolts with a long enough wrench to get good leverage.

tyleremiller

hmm, i just finished removing the headlight frame myself from my 2012 model, and sounds like your bolts were tightened very securely, but they should be removable. Seeing as how old this post is hope you got em off okay. I'm trying to do a streetfighter conversion on my fz6r too. I was following this guy's guide (for the most part): Yamaha FZ6R Streetfighter Metamorphosis | Motorcycle Melee

He has a great solution for mounting the odometer using some cheap modified hardware.

Btw, did you paint these brackets? or did they come black? Mine are silver :(
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Ripley

I just replaced mine as well. The bolts were really tight but I took a breaker bar to them and they came out easy peasy. The nuts on the other side you cannot remove they are in fact welded on the bracket. I think there was a total of 9 fasteners to remove the 2 bolts on the side of the bracket, 3 screws on the instrument cluster and 4 bolts on the front fairing.

hmm, i just finished removing the headlight frame myself from my 2012 model, and sounds like your bolts were tightened very securely, but they should be removable. Seeing as how old this post is hope you got em off okay. I'm trying to do a streetfighter conversion on my fz6r too. I was following this guy's guide (for the most part): Yamaha FZ6R Streetfighter Metamorphosis | Motorcycle Melee

He has a great solution for mounting the odometer using some cheap modified hardware.

Btw, did you paint these brackets? or did they come black? Mine are silver :(
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Yes they were already black.The conversion was a pain in the *** !