I want to get the bike to NJ from Fl

behindXgrnXeyes

So I've lived here in FL for about 5 years now and I would love to get my bike to where I grew up in NJ n im trying to find the best option keeping price and time in mind.

There is an Auto train that runs from FL to VA. It would take me 3 hours to get to where it leaves from and 4 hours to get from drop off to my location. That option costs about $430 for a ticket, not including gas to get there and back, and about...17 hours. Cool option, but im not sure if its my best. It does run through the night so sleeping and waking up there is a bonus

The full on DRIVE is cheaper, but unno how long it would take with breaks for my ass, lol. Low balling the mpg and high avging the cash, its alot alot cheaper...

Driving my car with the bike in tow is NOT an option, my car would not make it..plus its costly to drive anymore...

Those are the options I thought of, I entertained the idea of renting a uhall truck and putting her in the back, but if i got into an accident outside of state, id be so screwed (they dont like you to leave state lines)

Anyone else think of any other ideas? or have any suggestions? Anyone here done that kind of drive before?

behindXgrnXeyes

Im not moving tho....visiting so I'd like the bike there when I was. 550 + my plane ticket is more then the auto train option...

which maybe you need to check out :)

CrazyCawi

That shouldnt be to bad of a drive. Dart came from virginia(99.99% sure) all the way to indianapolis in two days with his crew.

CrazyCawi

That sounds like a retarded expensive amount of money, is that ticket one way or two way for the autotrain

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

CrazyCawi

I think you will be more rewarded with the trip if you ride yourself.....

anson650

Ordinarily I would say ride the bike, but if $430 is round trip, then the auto train is a good option. It will cost about as much in gas, motels, and food stops as the train and you can sleep and move! Something that is best not done on a bike. I have thought about it for myself, but it is a full days ride just to get to the train.
Good luck,
Anson

oldtouring b

Only one option

With the restrictions you outlined riding is the only sensible option. The weather is getting nice--you might do a little camping and think of the stories you would have for your friends in NJ:rolleyes:

A friend took the train from FL north. Never again. A troop of Boy Scouts was on board!! Running and screaming all the way. And he said the train was not clean. A big waste of money.

A plan B might be fly up and rent a nice car for your stay. Hope all works out well.

anson650

Another "straw" that might tip your decision in favor of RIDING your bike. From my experience of traveling with the bike in the pickup vs. riding the BIKE. When I ride the bike to get "there" my riding skills are sharper, significantly sharper than if I drove the truck with the bike in the back. The first time I took the bike in pickup to a meet I was disappointed in how poorly I rode, and I had made that particular trip to ride some good roads. Now I always consider that in my decision. You'll be a better rider if you ride.
Anson
The last time I was on a train it was for 24 hours. It was hot, it stunk and I was miserable, but I do like the concept.

See red

I may come off sounding mean, however, if you wanted a harley, you should have bought one. I would just drive the bike. I have gone farther, it also makes your trip more memorable. I have gone, rain or shine, bitched about the wet, but afterwards, you have a eal sense of accomplishment, not to mention a memory you can't forget.

If you aren't man enough for a little road trip, then go with the train. (just know, my wife has burned 1100 miles in a weekend on a bike.) her first trip.

Best of luck though.

behindXgrnXeyes

Hmm well I don't want a Harley, no I'm not sure what the inner remark in there is lol but thanks for the advice everyone! The trip is one road, 95 so I'm not sure how much I wanna do it. It's not the distance that makes me not wanna do it, it's the fact that I can't sit still for that long, one road... Mind wandering, I think I might drive myself crazy haha. Thanks for the wife mention, I'm sure I could do it one day... I'm still prty young.

Marthy

World Most Bad A$$ 6R
Elite Member

behindXgrnXeyes

well unfortunately I only have so many days off from work or else I'd stop off somewhere in every sate, always wanted to do that, but i have to get there so i can visit my fam and get back before i run out of PTO days...you know?

behindXgrnXeyes

A plan B might be fly up and rent a nice car for your stay. Hope all works out well.

The whole point is to ride my bike where I grew up. The roads are beautiful and I want to show off my accomplishment of getting the bike to my close friends that I grew up with. It's a big deal to me that I was able to get her so I wanted to share that with them

redprodigy35

Come say hi while in NJ.
I'm right by the GWB.
Your more than welcome to swing by for some brews after that long journey of yours. :beer::iconbeer:

BTW - Where are these "beautiful" roads you speak of :rof:?

*I know there are some nice roads in NJ-- you just really have to seek'em out.

behindXgrnXeyes

I'm from Cape May...so there are alot of country tree/farm lined roads....and compared to flat building filled Florida....they are a change of scenery.

Not sure how much FZ6R visiting I will have time to do, don't have alot of time off work. I'm thinking of doing this in a week or two and im starting to worry about rain ruining the trip. Why bring a bike up if im not going to ride it around town