How to rid yourself of that pesky tail gate'n motorcycle¡!¡!

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member
Last edited:

applejax

Why would you do that on purpose being a bike rider yourself ?

You know bikes slow down a lot faster than cars, so riding close to your butt might annoy you, he isn't going to hit you.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

buzzbomb

Elite Member

Detrich

I absolutely hate drivers up in the canyons that drive 35mph and brake at every corner and refuse to use the numerous turn outs available- all when the speed limit is 45... I swear I can't even get out of 2nd gear behind those jerks. Sigh

D

Deleted member 9794

:rtfm:
No matter how fast a motorcyclist can brake, a 2 second minimum following distance is recommended (per MSF):

MSF BRC Guide Page 27

"Here are three “lead times” that you can use. They are the 2-second following distance, the 4-second immediate path, and the 12-second anticipated path.

The first lead-time is the 2-second following distance. It is considered to be a minimum distance when conditions are ideal. Less than perfect riding conditions (e.g. reduced traction or visibility, rider fatigue, etc.) require increasing available time and space."

I wouldn't slam on brakes to stop a motorcycle from tailgating me but I would tap my brakes to flash my brake lights OR slow down and force him/her to pass me.

Brock Kickass

I was sticking a little close to a guy in a pickup because I was looking for room to pass and wanted to be able to make a move when I saw a chance. He kept brake checking me. In a car, OK, dick move, but whatever. On a bike, unacceptable. You can't outrun me unless you want to run me out of fuel, and I will modify my plans to include carefully explaining in person to you what would happen in you caused me to rearend you, and how angry this makes me. If you choose to take my life in your hands on the highway, it makes me want to take your life in my hands when you get out of your safety cell, dig?
Bottom line, people react very badly when you do something deliberate and stupid that could hurt or kill them. It's not a joke.

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

To clarify, I know that nobody on this forum would do something so stunned. It does make me enraged, though. Like, brake-checking a bike? Really?

nismos14

I'm movin on
Elite Member

Botty12

I was sticking a little close to a guy in a pickup because I was looking for room to pass and wanted to be able to make a move when I saw a chance. He kept brake checking me. In a car, OK, dick move, but whatever. On a bike, unacceptable. You can't outrun me unless you want to run me out of fuel, and I will modify my plans to include carefully explaining in person to you what would happen in you caused me to rearend you, and how angry this makes me. If you choose to take my life in your hands on the highway, it makes me want to take your life in my hands when you get out of your safety cell, dig?
Bottom line, people react very badly when you do something deliberate and stupid that could hurt or kill them. It's not a joke.
H'ooookay I want to validate your comment before I criticize it. Brake checking a motorcyclist is stupid. I agree with that.

But you don't follow close behind a vehicle to look for passing room...you do the opposite. In driver training for CARS they teach you that. Why? Because you can't see far enough ahead on the passing side and you could get creamed if you decide to pass when there's oncoming traffic you couldn't see, and you're too close to the other driver in case they brake or make a mistake.

If it was traffic all going the same way, like you waiting to get in the passing lane...it's still unnecessary...why do you need to be close to the vehicle in front of you in order to look for passing room? Furthermore, motorcycles accelerate faster than cars they are trying to overtake...there's no need to be following too closely.

I just like a safety zone air bubble. It's considerate and who cares if somebody's going slow...if they don't pull over to let us motorcyclists pass in the twistes, maybe we could pull over and wait for them to clear it, then rip on through (at the posted speed of course;)). It's not a race to the finish line, enjoy the ride. And if you're late for something that's not the other person's fault. Doesn't help but it's not soley their fault. Disclaimer: I'm not perfect, I just don't see the logic behind your reasoning for following too closely.

linkgt

When I drive, I give motorcyclist full passage.. on highway I go to right most lane. On a single lane, I just go right on shoulder and let them pass... not that hard to do guys -_- geez come on, we're all riders here.. especially OP. When I ride I either go on the side of road and wait...or if I want to pass, just slow down a bit, look for no cars/cops on oncoming side, pass.

Last edited:

freshflex

I never have a car in front of me. If there is one I'll pass it no problem regardless how fast (with the exception of traffic). If there isn't a retard driver in front of me then that's just one less thing I have to worry about.

Perdurable

Teeker!!!
Elite Member

Brock Kickass

Normally I hang back, but it wasn't quite that cut and dried. In front of the pickup were a car and then a semi driving slowly. We were approaching a passing lane, so I crept up to the truck and siganlled in order to tell him "I'll shoot past quickly and then you'll have time to go by, instead of my getting stuck waiting for you to use up the whole passing lane creeping by and not get past this semi." I find most people are happy to let bikes by once they realize the bike wants by, so I don't mind getting close and showing myself in their mirrors to let them know I'm there. I usually back off after that, not ride their bumper, but in this case I was staying a little close because we were almost on the passing lane and I wanted to get by this guy in a hurry and let hime out to do his thing. That's when I got the brake check. It wasn't dangerous, as I was still (almost) 2 seconds behind, but annoying all the same. Just because you want to drive slowly doesn't mean I do, so just get out of my way. I'll be a memory before you know it. Anyhoo, I don't mean to hijack this thread to debate safe following distances. I just get really mad when people in cars play road games with people on bikes. Why block people or mess with them in any way? Just drive.

linkgt

Normally I hang back, but it wasn't quite that cut and dried. In front of the pickup were a car and then a semi driving slowly. We were approaching a passing lane, so I crept up to the truck and siganlled in order to tell him "I'll shoot past quickly and then you'll have time to go by, instead of my getting stuck waiting for you to use up the whole passing lane creeping by and not get past this semi." I find most people are happy to let bikes by once they realize the bike wants by, so I don't mind getting close and showing myself in their mirrors to let them know I'm there. I usually back off after that, not ride their bumper, but in this case I was staying a little close because we were almost on the passing lane and I wanted to get by this guy in a hurry and let hime out to do his thing. That's when I got the brake check. It wasn't dangerous, as I was still (almost) 2 seconds behind, but annoying all the same. Just because you want to drive slowly doesn't mean I do, so just get out of my way. I'll be a memory before you know it. Anyhoo, I don't mean to hijack this thread to debate safe following distances. I just get really mad when people in cars play road games with people on bikes. Why block people or mess with them in any way? Just drive.

Could be worse... I was riding home from work on the expressway a few weeks ago. Traffic was pretty much at a full stop (Really bad accident a few exits ahead) Luckily, I was on my bike that day. I was already on the HOV lane so when traffic was at a full stop, I just ride on the buffer lane(big enough for bikes to ride on)... Everything was going fine and dandy for like 3-4 exits then this POS mini van decides to play deputy sheriff and INTENTIONALLY BLOCKS the buffer lines.

So, hes blocking the hov buffer line.. fine a-hole. I go on the leftmost lane (NOT HOV) and ride a bit behind him. I had a bit of a situation on my hands.. How am I going to pass this a-hole that is preventing me from riding the buffer? in FULL traffic...well i bravely/stupidly just rip the throttle and pass on his left when I saw the hov lane was a bit clear on my side.. HE STILL TRIED TO BLOCK ME!!! I would say he was about 1 ft away from my right side mirror(ZX6r mirrors btw!) as he tried to "block" ie "HIT" me when I passed on his left.

Yep, thats the most dangerous story I have on trying to pass a car in full traffic. Moral of the story, dont try to be a cop and enforce traffic laws. It's dangerous and you can kill someone :thumbdown:

Back to topic...

dart1963

Super Moderator
Elite Member

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member