How to install 12V outlet

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

flyingminno

Awesome install! I went the lazy method, and just bought a 12v outlet that connects to the already present battery-tender connector. I just plug it in under the passenger seat and plug in a cigarette lighter charger for my phone or gps into it and leave it in my backpack or top box!

Uno979

Thuper Moderator
Premium Member
Last edited:

AngryAnt

Thanks for the info! It crossed my mind to do this to my bike before winter comes so I can have a easy plug for heated vest / gloves, I think I might bump it up and take care of it now that you did all the leg work.

art51

fuse

Hey nastybutler,very nicely done!!!Im planning to put one too. Im not really good with wiring,but just wondering if you did put a fuse or connect a fuse to the wire?

flyingminno

And where did you get this pigtail charger? I too am an accessory junkie and Could use this. I would rather have a waterproof version though.

Nastybutler can you go into detail about this "circuit bar?" I'm sure some of us could benefit from the idea.
I got the idea from someone else on here, just refined it a bit as far as the method for charging. This is it here, 12 Volt Adapter for Trailer Lighting Connector not very hi-tech but it does the job. Great security if you're out on a long ride and the phone is running low.

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member
Last edited:

Nastybutler

Cynical Member
Elite Member

AngryAnt

Unrelated question, which windscreen is that? :)

[Edit] Nevermind, I'm an idiot - I just read your signature...

findmadhav

Quick question everyone. I just got this 12v outlet from cyclegear which clips on to your handlebars. I need to route it with the frame. My question is, for lifting the gas tank, do I need to take off any fairings at all? Please let me know. Thanks.

- Update.... I did take off the panels above the main fairings (called Panels B & C as per user manual)
I installed the 12v outlet in a similar manner like NastyButler did. Just that I did not have the tools nor did I want to cut the fairing.
I did route the wires through the frame though, but the outlet now comes out of what looks like a dummy air vent on the side of the fairing.
Attaching the pics here. Notice that in the 3rd pic, I used my rear seat to keep the gas tank up for wiring :)

Attachments

Last edited:

findmadhav

Had a tough time to put the panels back though, coz the screws wouldnt go in! Finally managed after half an hour of toil :) haha.

I can't remember where I saw this on the forum here, but someone mentioned that if you are only running a GPS with that outlet, you can splice it directly into the headlight wire?

rjohnson5481

Had a tough time to put the panels back though, coz the screws wouldnt go in! Finally managed after half an hour of toil :) haha.
If you thread all of the bolts in maybe one or two turns then tighten them all once they're all started it will go much easier. I had a ton of trouble with them in the past, i hate taking them off b/c of that.

What color wire is the headlight wire? I'm thinking about T-Tapping it ONLY for the GPS...

If I upgrade the headlights to HID's later, will I encounter an issue with the GPS drawing power directly off it?

Jay S.

Mod complete and port works like a charm. However...now my blinkers are flashing much faster than before. Anyone else have this problem?

I'm searching the 'net for anyone with a similar problem and I've seen some people who had the same issue after installing flush mount blinkers but claim there is no problem with the high rate of flashing...

:confused:

I myself had the Flushmounts create the rear blinkers to flash more rapidly.

After tapping my 12v cig directly off one of the wires under the rear seat cowl, I didn't notice an issue. If you'd like I could take a look to see what color it was.